It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri County Will Lower Flags To Mourn Gay Marriage Ruling For A Year

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
How long will they leave the flag lowered to mourn the fact that it's not 1955 anymore?

a reply to: Kali74

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Isn't this a form of protest?

When a toddler throws itself to the floor in a store and has a screaming fit because it's told no, is that a form of protest?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
No surprise here. It's hard to expect much more out of a bunch of creationists.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
I'm not offended, i just think it's hilariously ridiculous that this is the level they want to go too. and the lengths they will try and Shame the GLBTQ+ community... but no i'm not offended

All I can think of when this stuff happens is ---- what their kids and grandkids think.

At least some of the next generation is probably considering changing their last name.

I honestly think a lot of the time the younger generation are busy preparing to get the hell out of there the moment they can.

If I'd lived in any of these backward red neck states as a kid I would have been on the first bus out of there the second I had the opportunity.

Thing is, they don't realize that this all adds to the failure of a state in the future. They wonder why they don't have an economic drive or any real growth, it's because all the smart ones get the hell out.

All those little old towns died because there was nothing there for the next generation, and these people are just reinforcing that. These areas will be ghost-towns in a decade, or two at most.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

"They are elected officials. I assume that come election time, the voters would decide if their actions were appropriate. "

You haven't been to rural Missouri, I can tell.

If you had, you would know this action probably secured their position for the next 1000 years.

I've lived in Missouri all my life, I had one of those podunks tell me if I was a real 'Mizzeran', I would have known to pronounce it 'Missera'.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
So, they are having a temper tantrum but the removal of the Confederate flag in S.C. and now the T witter # to remove the flag from private property, etc., is not a tantrum. Okay...

I may not agree with it but they have the right to do so being on state property. Such as with the Confederate flag right?

So there's literally two people that did the challenge, the rest of the tweets under that hashtag are just talking about it... like all black people everywhere in the US are running around looking for rebel flags to steal. BTW those two idiots have their faces all over the friggin internet. #godirectlytojail?

/rolleyes

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

As much as all the people and press that are going to war on the confederate flag

Do you think Apple is going to stop selling phones there and instead ship their phones to a Iran, since the sanctions were lifted

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Presiding Commissioner Darrell Skiles filed a letter into the record ahead of the vote staking his opposition to “the U.S. high court’s [sic] stamp of approval of what God speaks of as an abomination.”

Because you always have to throw the "Abomination" card into play
What exactly are they mourning? what did they lose?

If they're going to play that Leviticus abomination card...they'd better plan on giving up the pulled pork sandwiches and shrimp po'boys. What a bunch of morons! The world laughs!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

The world does laugh, but there are always those that applaud as well

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The commissioners have reversed their decision.

Dent County, Missouri will take back its plan to fly flags “below half-staff” to mourn the Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage decision, out of respect for veterans, the Salem News reported Tuesday.

Presiding County Commissioner Darrell Skiles told the Salem News the three-member, all Republican commission would vote Tuesday or Wednesday to axe the plan “out of respect for veterans and those currently serving in the military.”

It would be nice if they would have realized how goddamn insulting it was to their fellow Americans that happen to be LGBT+ but at least they realized it insulted active duty military and veterans and changed their minds... well after being petitioned anyway.

News of the decision spread rapidly through Dent County, population 15,000, with a petition to “Stop Act of ‘Mourning Gay Marriage’ By Lowering Flags Below Half Mast,” launched by a group dubbed “The Organization of Reasonableness of Dent County” appearing online within hours. The petition had around 1,180 signatories on Tuesday morning.

“The act of lowering the American flag from full height has long been a way for communities to mourn local and national tragedies. To compare the Supreme Court ruling on homosexual marriage rights to those tragedies in any way is an insult to both the tragedies that have been previously mourned in this manner and the basic principles of government under which the United States operates,” Salem resident Alex Sellers wrote with the petition.

Talking Points Memo

Still a bunch of assholes in my opinion. Using the state to persecute people you don't agree with. 'We hate you so much that we have to mourn each step of your equality.' Not exactly upholding your oath to represent all of your constituency huh? Another example of the elected using a flag to tell members of a group 'we don't represent you'.
edit on 7/14/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

"They are elected officials. I assume that come election time, the voters would decide if their actions were appropriate. "

You haven't been to rural Missouri, I can tell.

If you had, you would know this action probably secured their position for the next 1000 years.

I've lived in Missouri all my life, I had one of those podunks tell me if I was a real 'Mizzeran', I would have known to pronounce it 'Missera'.

I once flew a date and I to St Louis for a weekend. Does that count?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I don't think St. Louis counts as rural Missouri...

Were there lots of trees and an absence of civilization?

Did you hear banjos?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

You really do need that punching bag doll

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I got one, it says you can use water or sand in the base... I rethought water so now I have to go get sand. Plus I need gloves too. Maybe this weekend lol.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I got one, it says you can use water or sand in the base... I rethought water so now I have to go get sand. Plus I need gloves too. Maybe this weekend lol.

I prefer sand.

Never had one last more then an hour though, if that.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Exactly. PEOPLE protest the Government, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I would protest having to go to Missouri.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Mensa Will Lower IQs To Mourn Cousin Marriage in Missouri For A Year

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join