It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri County Will Lower Flags To Mourn Gay Marriage Ruling For A Year

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: introvert

a reply to: beezzer

That's what I was just wondering.

Is this freedom of speech, or is this using their position as commissioners to push their beliefs on to others by creating a decree to fly the flags below half-staff?

They are elected officials. I assume that come election time, the voters would decide if their actions were appropriate.

I agree, but I was being serious with my question.

Is this freedom of speech, or is this an actual overreach of their position to use a half-staff decree to voice their personal distaste for the decision?

If they are the representatives of the people in their community, then their actions echo the desires of the people they represent.

Ça va?

Touche. But there is a code in place that specifies the conditions in which a flag can be flown at half staff, correct?

I'll have to research that, but I believe this may be a violation of the Flag Code.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

a reply to: Kali74

Isn't this a form of protest?

And forms of protest are not immune to criticism.

This is disrespectful to the gesture of lowering the flag imo.

Have I, in any way, advocated for the silence of criticism?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Is this freedom of speech, or is this using their position as commissioners to push their beliefs on to others by creating a decree to fly the flags below half-staff?

They are elected officials. I assume that come election time, the voters would decide if their actions were appropriate.

Is this freedom of speech, or is this an actual overreach of their position to use a half-staff decree to voice their personal distaste for the decision?

If they are the representatives of the people in their community, then their actions echo the desires of the people they represent.

Ça va?

Touche. But there is a code in place that specifies the conditions in which a flag can be flown at half staff, correct?

I'll have to research that, but I believe this may be a violation of the Flag Code.

If people can wipe their bottoms with the flag, burn the flag, trample the flag, then putting it at half-mast seems rather tame to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

It would be great if a bunch of gay men (because that's who they're most afraid of) could greet them every time they walk into the building with tissues.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Wetpaint72

now that would be rather funny, if there were a number of people who really didn't agree with this decision living in the county and they all decided to fly a rainbow flag at full mass that day. especially since I believe that as far as the flag laws or whatever you want to call it, nothing should be flying higher that the country's flags.... but well, what can I say, I didn't decide to lower the country's flags to half mass.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Ça va?

It's going?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Ça va?

It's going?

Just French conversational slang.

I guess I could have also have said, "n'est-ce pas?"
edit on 13-7-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Ça va?

If people can wipe their bottoms with the flag, burn the flag, trample the flag, then putting it at half-mast seems rather tame to me.

Individuals have the right to freedom of speech. County commissions have rules to follow that are in place to ensure they conduct themselves properly and to not use their positions to corrupt or break the law.

Not a very applicable comparison.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

No. Ca Va means it's going. I think you meant to say "Oui?".

link   

OMGosh yaaas!

if i lived there i would, why not.. also console them with a hug as well

link   

That was in reference to another thread we participated in.

In other words he tried to use my argument against me, but of course it doesn't really apply in this case.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
www.ushistory.org...

hey according to flag code the county officials can't order a flag to half mass...

No. According to the Flag Code, only the President of the United States, your state's Governor, and the Mayor of the District of Columbia can order the US flag lowered to half-staff. If everyone were to half-staff the US flag at will, the symbolic value of that honor would be lost. Another option is to display black crepe near the entrance to your building, perhaps with a photograph of the former mayor, firefighter, police officer, etc.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Not directly, no.

Just found the comment asking if this was a form of protest telling.

Seems like you were trying to imply that people wanted it silenced, when no one was saying that either.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Ça va?

Individuals have the right to freedom of speech. County commissions have rules to follow that are in place to ensure they conduct themselves properly and to not use their positions to corrupt or break the law.

Not a very applicable comparison.

Perhaps they can create their own rules, like how the SC legislature did when they banned the flag and flagpole from public property.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Mais bien sur.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Perhaps they can create their own rules, like how the SC legislature did when they banned the flag and flagpole from public property.

I didn't know bunnies were so salty.

Yes, I understand that freedom and state's rights are an inconvenience to some, but that's why we have a constitution.

No matter how butt-hurt you are, there are rules we must respect.

It's sad that you don't stand up for freedom before agenda/bias.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Mais bien sur.

I don't speak fluent spanish.

Quit trying to confuse me!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I don't speak fluent dutch either but I remember some conversational french from high school

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I don't speak fluent dutch either but I remember some conversational french from high school

Didn't we all learn French in High School?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join