It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Large Group of People (Astronomers) Rarely Report UFO sightings.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

So automatically oh it's an alien craft.

If you pay attention to my posts about the matter, you'll see I prefer terms like "thingy" and "other" or "not of this world", not earth tech… I don't know what it was either…

Your first response to me here on page two was replying to my term "other"… where you conclude (in so many words) theres no such thing.

The other? What other? Do you think you've seen an alien craft? You haven't.

You are making this claim of aliens, I only make the suggestion.

Forgive me in the future if I use the term UFO to your disliking, it makes things easier for others to understand.

edit on 13-7-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

I am no bible scholar but I do know we have been pinging signals toward the nearest stars for fifty years and gotten nothing. That is fifty light years. It makes sense to me that we were not meant to interact.

Interesting that you want me to cite a bible verse to prove my point but then you go on to assert there are alien species out there who are far more advanced than we are. Prove that point! As i stated in my post...they are probably there but it is impossible to make the trip it is so far away.

Why do you UFO nuts assume that every alien species out there is so far superior to us in technology? Time is not the only factor in evolution. Atmospheric conditions are very important. There are so many factors that came together for life to prosper on earth and to continue to thrive it is just as likely that those sets of circumstances don't happen on every planet in the so-called Goldilocks zone. Now, that being said Murphys Law (Anything that can happen will happen) is a key consideration. And the theory that there are multiple universes out there is more likely than aliens visiting out planet.

I can get my head around the time travel explanation although I confess to know very little about time travel in general. My feeling is this: if in our future time travel to the past ever becomes possible (and my current understanding of that is theoretically it is only possible to go to the future, not the past) then it makes sense that we could be being visited by some fellows from our future. But that is pure logic and probably flies in the face of the laws of physics.

My firm belief is there is an explanation. My philosophy is there is an inverse relationship in fact vs. belief. The more fantastic something seems, the more prosaic the eventual explanation will turn out to be. Aliens from outer space? Pretty fantastic assertion. More likely it is easily explained once one has all the data. Roswell for example, I think when all the classified information is eventually made available (none of which I have ever had access to) will show that the whole incident was our first venture into Stealth technology. The Air Force had to keep lying about it because no one knew until the Bosnian War that we had stealth airplanes. It took 50 years to get that capability. And, NO it was not mined from a crashed alien spacecraft. It came out of the minds of the smartest engineers this world has ever seen. American ingenuity, something we are losing but necessity is the mother of invention.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: wmd_2008

I'm approaching 60 and Iv'e only seen one that one time. Be patient, life is life long.

In light of your inexperience, I'll now respond to your other statements.

Not every member is a spotty prepubescent basement dweller your only a few years older than me.

Inexperience and YOU base that on what
I have had a keen interest in astronomy from an early age and took my first Moon image with a DSLR 35 years ago on a 100+ year old 6" clockwork driven refracting telescope and have been sky watching for at least 10 years before that

I do my share of debunking here, finding that out. I am a trained observer. I have a critical mind.

I know we have posted on the same threads often, and because of my long time hobbies of photography/astronomy I have a keen eye when looking at so called proof on here in images & video.

Thats the thing, if you had been there you would have observed, like the most untrained observer among us that night, the real difference between the two, immediately.

I don't care how little experience you have over a life time of air shows, viewing satellites, bolides, iridium flares, reentries, scintillating stars, whatever.

None of these hold a candle to what we observed, that night.

I will REPEAT again irrespective of what YOU think you saw if you have no size or distance comparison YOU can't work it out also your position relative to an object's direction of travel can have an effect on apparent speed etc, another thing you have to consider photographing high speed objects.

So like I said on here MANY make big claims re ufo's, multiple sightings /visits etc lets see if any have the nads to back up the claims, like I said I would REALLY like to see that but I wont hold my breath.

edit on 13-7-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: Erno86

You cant work out a speed because you dont have a size or distance for the object.

So what happens is a very high speed is quoted to try to reinforce YOUR opinion of what the object was

I estimated that the large bluish-white light was in Earth's own atmosphere, because it would have to be extremely large object if it was in space orbit around our planet. I saw the lighted object streak from the eastern horizon --- heading in a westerly direction --- about 10 vertical degrees above the forest canopy to a 70 degree vertical angle vector in about 1/10 of a second. I quickly turned my head towards the western horizon and failed to see the lighted object.

I then assumed the object had stopped in our atmosphere somewhere above our heads. Given the reasonable size estimate of a large passenger airliner at 2 to 3 thousand feet, plus the vertical and horizontal angle vectors of the object --- I guesstimated that the object was at least as large as a Jumbo airliner, at 2 to 5,000 feet in altitude --- And with speed comparisons of U.S. fighter jets taking-off/flyovers at high/low altitude...15,000 miles per hour was my speed estimate of the plasma-lit object; with no apparent sonic boom.

As for my second sighting of the reddish-orange fusion plasma object --- one minute later after my first sighting --- that first appeared in front of my easterly facing eyes....descending from the low thin cloud cover at an approx. 40 degree vertical angle vector that literally lit-up the whole eastern horizon and the mountain valley below us. I figured the object was close [about 1 mile], from the horizontal/vertical angle vectors, as I first saw the object appear under the cloud cover --- that appeared to have a straight perpendicular descent to Earth at approx. 30 miles per hour ---- and a ballpark estimate of 700 feet in diameter of the perfectly spherical swirling fusion plasma object with no fiery tail; as it appeared to land just beyond the large mountain range in front of us.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Erno86 because: added a few words

edit on 13-7-2015 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 13-7-2015 by Erno86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2015 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Every light in the sky is a UFO unless you know what you are looking at.

I remember when I was a kid and I saw a light moving in the sky, and I said "Dad, look-a UFO!" He turned to me and said "no, that's a satellite."

What I don't understand is how some people who see a UFO automatically equates it to an alien craft. If you see a light in the sky that behaves erratically, it is a light and nothing more until there is an explanation.

Some people have a need to believe that satellite was actually an alien spacecraft. Even more so some people have a need to believe that that satellite flickering as it rotates is "communicating" with them, and only them.

It's just like some people have a need to believe a log floating in a lake or a sturgeon is a sea monster.

If most rational people do not, that's all that matters. It's only a problem when large amounts of people reject actual identification of what they deemed more mysterious.

In general the sky and night sky in particular is very mysterious to people not intimately familiar with it. I've mentioned here before that even I have seen two "UFO"s.

One turned out to be a very high altitude plane the other most likely was an upper atmosphere phenomena known as a sprite.

To most people both would have remained unidentified.

To a small subset of those people unidentified would equal alien (facepalm).

edit on 13-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I've seen lots of satellites, so I know how they move.

One night I was watching one move across the sky when it suddenly did a perfect 90 degree turn on a DIME.

Now, no plane, drone, or spacecraft I know of can do a perfect turn like that. It looked like something out of TRON. I'm still baffled to this day as to what it was. I'm fairly certain it was one of ours though.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The best post I have ever read on ATS.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
originally posted by: MystikMushroom

One night I was watching one move across the sky when it suddenly did a perfect 90 degree turn on a DIME.

Thats not a 'turn' in that sense, its an abrupt change of direction. A "turn" has a radius. its done in the atmosphere with controls, wing surfaces and airflow, theres a change of direction after the 'turn' is complete.

I'm fairly certain it was one of ours though.

How did you determine that?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

lets see if any have the nads to back up the claims, like I said I would REALLY like to see that but I won't hold my breath.

Just the one claim of a visual here. No nads to show you, sorry. Its only my word.

Which you can't take from me, either.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ya Da Ya DA

back in the late 1940s and the 1950s was the Big Hype UFO CRAZE to even the American Government asking citizens to turn in their Home Made Films, if they Filmed UFOs ..

At the Same Time The Soviet's and Americans were experimenting with New Captured NAZI Technology From Nazi Experimental Planes , Submarines and other "Devices" ... and Americans and Soviets Back engineered to perfection of what the Nazis Scientists and Engineers were doing till they themselves were captured ( Operation Paperclip ) all could be a Plausible explanation...

Its the proof that they exist .. but it Not Proof if they are Extra Terrestrial..

and If Project Blue Book ( P.B.B.) says they found Nothing in 22 years from (((( 1947 )))) to 1969

They may be Right Found Nothing to Prove that they are Extra Terrestrial Not from this Earth ..

Most just have to use the certain Wording Definition of what ( P.B.B. ) actually Meant

How about from another Dimension ..

Ill tell you what, I have seen in actual Pulp Fiction to Early 1950s Digests Scifi Magazines !

Mostly Flying Spheres , Cigar Cylinder shape , Flying Saucer Shape Flying Disks

I know as I Own some of them !

Here some example ..

This Object looks familiar from a FEB 1912 Modern Electronics Mag

what is this guy looking at through that portal ?

from this Pulp Mag Amazing Stories

1930 Saucer

a Flying Sphere aka foo Fighter

but what it could be, is a Life Imitates Art Thing ....

Kinda Strange that NASA Came up with a Design like what's shown in a Pulp Science Fiction MAG !

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Okay, well it made a perfect 90 movement on a dime. like an "L".

As to why it's one of ours? Just a feeling I have from talking to a few people...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz
Ya Da Ya DA

back in the late 1940s and the 1950s was the Big Hype UFO CRAZE to even the American Government asking citizens to turn in their Home Made Films, if they Filmed UFOs ..

At the Same Time The Soviet's and Americans were experimenting with New Captured NAZI Technology From Nazi Experimental Planes , Submarines and other "Devices" ... and Americans and Soviets Back engineered to perfection of what the Nazis Scientists and Engineers were doing till they themselves were captured ( Operation Paperclip ) all could be a Plausible explanation...

Its the proof that they exist .. but it Not Proof if they are Extra Terrestrial..

and If Project Blue Book ( P.B.B.) says they found Nothing in 22 years from (((( 1947 )))) to 1969

They may be Right Found Nothing to Prove that they are Extra Terrestrial Not from this Earth ..

Most just have to use the certain Wording Definition of what ( P.B.B. ) actually Meant

How about from another Dimension ..

Ill tell you what, I have seen in actual Pulp Fiction to Early 1950s Digests Scifi Magazines !

Mostly Flying Spheres , Cigar Cylinder shape , Flying Saucer Shape Flying Disks

I know as I Own some of them !

Here some example ..

This Object looks familiar from a FEB 1912 Modern Electronics Mag

what is this guy looking at through that portal ?

from this Pulp Mag Amazing Stories

1930 Saucer

a Flying Sphere aka foo Fighter

but what it could be, is a Life Imitates Art Thing ....

Kinda Strange that NASA Came up with a Design like what's shown in a Pulp Science Fiction MAG !

Not strange if one knows anything about aerodynamics. The lifting body design had been around a long time. See also the X-20 Dyna Soar.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The reason UFOs are even a topic are because of some very substantial sightings that have occurred over the decades. And every time posts like these crop up, those who agree that UFOs simply can't exist, can never tackle those cases that have substantial merit behind them. Phoenix lights? No comment. Tehran 1972? Pass. Stephenville Texas? Black project! Zimbabwe school encounter with dozens of young witnesses? Just children.. not worried about that one.

I think there are very few actual legitimate cases. But it's those cases that never get addressed for some reason. Why not? Those are the cases that actually could prove visitation. But folks would rather focus on dots, tiny lights, and floating lanterns, and claim that there are no UFOs because of those easy to debunk / disprove events. Tell you what.. tackle the important cases with merit, and then we'll talk.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Thanks flea bit, that post brightened my clouded mind.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Not strange if one knows anything about aerodynamics. The lifting body design had been around a long time. See also the X-20 Dyna Soar.

Well if that the Case from a Amazing Stories Pulp Science Fiction Magazine in 1942 ?

Im talking about the Similarity's ! you didn't seeing anything like it on both sides during the WAR ( WWII ) and No experiential Aircraft had that kind of Design on any axis or allies and this came from a Artistic Concept ! So apparently as it look this Artist had Knowledge of Aerodynamics & Engineering Skills ... but 15 years later (1942-1957 to 63) that Design was on the Drawing Board ! in NASA Territory for a Reentry Vehicle..

So NASA Stole the IDEA from a Pulp Fiction 1942 Magazine ! ? ( Perhaps )

Well NASA did the Same from a BOOK called From the Earth to the Moon by a guy named Jules Verne
right Down to the Location Spots !! and close in Measurements of the Space Capsule ! although there was no Cannon !! and that is where Warner von Braun and Robert Goddard came into place in Rocket Science !
which happens that those Rocket Scientist were fans of Jules Verne !

as I said Life Imitates ART

and Im well Aware of the X 20 I Discussed this in a Couple of threads a Reentry Vehicle...

both from my Photo Gallery on ATS

The X - 20 Dyna -Soar

Concept from the Movie = Marooned like the DYNA - Soar

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

6-7 seconds is not anywhere close to 4 minutes

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Love how through the course of this thread you can just disregard and dismiss all eyewitness accounts. Some of which come from people who are far more qualified to determine if something is from known technology or not.

I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring here. I'm not going to go into full details I'd be dismissed out of hand almost immediately. Saw a light very high moving faster than I have ever seen before. The way in which it moved, and the speed in which it moved were unreal.

Seen two other things since, but I can come up with a plausible explanation for these two.

So am I just a stupid uninformed tool also?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a Little of Topic

but goes with Concepts of UFOS and Spaceship of what we see in the Sky

Herman Potočnik
en.wikipedia.org...

Herman Potočnik (pseudonym Hermann Noordung; 22 December 1892 – 27 August 1929) was a Slovene rocket engineer and pioneer of cosmonautics (astronautics). He is chiefly remembered for his work addressing the long-term human habitation of space.

Interesting NOTE :

With his many ideas he became one of the founders of astronautics. His concepts were first taken seriously only by the amateur rocketry movement in Germany, the Verein für Raumschiffahrt (VfR - "Spaceflight Society"), centered on Hermann Oberth and his co-workers

The wheel-shaped space station served as an inspiration for further development by Wernher von Braun (another former VfR member) in 1952. Von Braun saw orbiting space stations as a stepping stone to travel to other planets.

Herman Potocnik IDEA & Design of a SPACE Station..
and was inspired by Werner Von Braun of his Concept of a Space Station

So Apparently Pulp SCIFI MAGS were not all Fiction
some Had some actual Ideas from Actual Scientist and Engineers ..

So Just Maybe those UFO's that were Seen as Foo Fighters Cigar Shapes ,
Flying Saucers (disk) Shape were actually made .. or the IDEAS were there .. and Someone turned it into a reality later on .. ?

On Track ...

As we all know of DR: J Allan Hynak a Well Known Astronomer ! that was the Lead of Project Blue Book ..

was mostly a Denier ! ( Swamp Gas, Jet Flares, Birds ) working for the Government on Project Blue Book..
and after his Retirement he Did a Full 180 ! became a Believer had his Own UFO CLUB .. even said that most Astronomers at University's DID See UFOS and even across the MOON ..

Dr. J Allen Hynek Admits Astronomers do see UFO's ! (1977)

www.youtube.com...

and to Point Out that the late 40s & 50s to even the 70s UFO Sightings were Heavy ..During the COLD WAR .. as not as Much now...

Well here are some Points in links

Sightings by Astronomers
www.ufoevidence.org...

Astronomers see UFOs too
www....(nolink)/astronomers-see-ufos-081310/4787

edit on 12015MondayfAmerica/Chicago7193 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I'm not so sure about the premise. As an astronomer, one looks at mostly distant objects far beyond our moon for example. Objects that are not moving quickly or quirkily and cover a wider area of sky. They tend to focus on further distant objects that follow an easily plotted path such as a planet or occasional comet or moon, distant galaxy or star. Its like not seeing the trees for the forest or vice versa. Or sleight of hand. You are focusing on which hand is meant to be looked at and miss the tricky one. You may see what you expect to see and in a more tightly viewed area as in a long distance view of a planet versus the general night sky, moving one's head back and forth and more capable of spotting an oddity in a corner of your eye or off to the side because it is moving or blinking or oddly colored or irregularly shaped. Most astronomers have an agenda and plan about where to look and when through a tool meant to magnify a small area rather than a wide one.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

So a guess, based on a guess, based on a guess do you not see the problem with that ?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join