It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Large Group of People (Astronomers) Rarely Report UFO sightings.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Many of the important cases have been discussed on here the Phoenix Lights very recently.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jaxnmarko

You know what they say about assumptions being the mother of all ......

You are assuming all astronomers professional or amateurs focus on distant objects many DON'T.

For example when I go out to take pictures with other photographers we are doing mainly long exposure wide angle shots and while the exposures are taking place we look up with our eyes/binoculars. We have many members doing the same all over the world we have a thread with the images posted. Strange that again the members doing that don't get to see many ufo's.

edit on 14-7-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh please forgive me. I really misunderstood you. It seemed to me you honestly thought these are alien. But you say you don't? Ok were in agreement then.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Wouldn't that be the most logical conclusion? You already said you don't think it's aliens or did I misinterpret your post again ?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Oh please forgive me. I really misunderstood you. It seemed to me you honestly thought these are alien. But you say you don't? Ok were in agreement then.

Now swing the complete opposite direction. Theres no middle ground for you?

Wasn't earth tech, but was tech…

get it?

No, because you've never seen one.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: jaxnmarko

You know what they say about assumptions being the mother of all ......

You are assuming all astronomers professional or amateurs focus on distant objects many DON'T.

For example when I go out to take pictures with other photographers we are doing mainly long exposure wide angle shots and while the exposures are taking place we look up with our eyes/binoculars. We have many members doing the same all over the world we have a thread with the images posted. Strange that again the members doing that don't get to see many ufo's.

Very well said.

There are also wide-field arrays like this one in California and others in South Arica and Chile which are automated to look for transient sky events.

They also don't seem to find the pesky "alien spacecraft".

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz
Well if that the Case from a Amazing Stories Pulp Science Fiction Magazine in 1942 ?

Im talking about the Similarity's ! you didn't seeing anything like it on both sides during the WAR ( WWII ) and No experiential Aircraft had that kind of Design on any axis or allies and this came from a Artistic Concept ! So apparently as it look this Artist had Knowledge of Aerodynamics & Engineering Skills ... but 15 years later (1942-1957 to 63) that Design was on the Drawing Board ! in NASA Territory for a Reentry Vehicle..

Because physics.

Really good sci-fi tends to tie itself in with real world physics and extrapolates based on that.

Another good example of that is the warp ship.

We don't have warp ships today.

But general and special relativity give us guidelines as to how one could work and that then gives us ideas of what shape it and its components would take.

Check out this article to see how the original design for the Starship Enterprise has re-emerged as a NASA concept for a real Alcubierre drive based warp ship.

So if in 100-200 years we have Alcubierre-drive warp ships people will hopefully realize that the physics which defined their shape was understood before the technology/infrastructure existed to build them.
edit on 14-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
Nobody is claiming that astronomers don't see UFO's. Just that it's far less frequent than the videos of birds, planes, balloons, drones that get posted on YouTube by the average citizen claiming "UFO fleet" or other type of UFO.

Okay, so you backed off your original claim, and now your claim is "just" that astronomers see UFOs "far less frequent[ly]" than the population at large. But what are the percentages? What's the data you're relying on? What does "far less" mean? It's easy to make claims based on subtle and informal perceptions, latent hopes, etc., but it's quite another thing to support them.

Hynek and many others said for decades that a small but significant percentage of reported UFOs were really just astronomical phenomena. He also interviewed many astronomers, mostly confidentially. (Conclusion: "Over 40 astronomers were interviewed of which five had made sightings of one sort or another. This is a higher percentage than among the population at large. Perhaps this is to be expected, since astronomers do, after all, watch the skies. On the other hand, they will not likely be fooled by balloons, aircraft, and similar objects, as may the general populace.")

Additionally, Blue Book Special Report 14 found that 20 to 25 percent of all sightings could be explained as astronomical phenomena. I believe Hynek found a similar number with respect to that issue. So, if we eliminate that ~25 percent from the total sightings (since we assume that astronomers could make those identifications), and accept what the data says about the percent of astronomers who see UFOs (5%, but Hynek says more), what does all of that really say about that top 5% (or 10%, or 15%, or whatever) of UFOs that remain unexplained even after competent scrutiny?

It still contradicts your claim. Unless by "far less" you mean something other than what most people mean.

When we eliminate the obvious astronomical cases, the data shows that astronomers see UFOs at the same rate, or maybe only a slightly lower rate as everyone else. This is not new "news,", nor is it even all that controversial to people who've studied it. It is certainly significant though. It's a shame more people aren't aware of it. Which leads us back to part of your original post....

I wonder why Phil Plait isn't aware of this data?

Is that all that surprising though, really. I'd bet a fair amount of money that he, like Tyson, shermer, etc., hasn't even read the Condon Report. And unfortunately it's only a matter of time before these science talking heads are publicly called out on their ignorance of these things. I say "unfortunately" because I think it's a shame that the public is losing faith in science, in expertise in general -- that's what the polls show -- and this type of thing certainly wouldn't help.

So, probably the best advice for scientists (or thread starters, or anyone, really) is what Dr. Sturrock said to Lawrence Krauss in that published American Physical Society letter: "do your homework before entering the UFO fray." Because it's obvious that many scientists (people who are assumed to be "experts" or at least somewhat informed as to any topic on which they speak) clearly have not done their UFO homework. And that's really too bad.

edit on 14-7-2015 by TeaAndStrumpets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Even though they dont report sightings and they are probably the best skilled people to be reporting sightings,it does not shake my belief that we have been visited and we are not the only life in space,some casses are just too solid to dismiss and from so many respect sources.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
A ha, so according to this;
if Astronauts and Pilots
we're as wise but not as gullible as Astronomers,
they would be able to discern a mile wide UFO
outside their craft from Venus.
Oh Astronomers, where can I sign thee up for
an abduction ?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: Wolfenz
Well if that the Case from a Amazing Stories Pulp Science Fiction Magazine in 1942 ?

Im talking about the Similarity's ! you didn't seeing anything like it on both sides during the WAR ( WWII ) and No experiential Aircraft had that kind of Design on any axis or allies and this came from a Artistic Concept ! So apparently as it look this Artist had Knowledge of Aerodynamics & Engineering Skills ... but 15 years later (1942-1957 to 63) that Design was on the Drawing Board ! in NASA Territory for a Reentry Vehicle..

Because physics.

Really good sci-fi tends to tie itself in with real world physics and extrapolates based on that.

Another good example of that is the warp ship.

We don't have warp ships today.

But general and special relativity give us guidelines as to how one could work and that then gives us ideas of what shape it and its components would take.

Check out this article to see how the original design for the Starship Enterprise has re-emerged as a NASA concept for a real Alcubierre drive based warp ship.

So if in 100-200 years we have Alcubierre-drive warp ships people will hopefully realize that the physics which defined their shape was understood before the technology/infrastructure existed to build them.

Right if it wasn't for Sci Fi a Saturn V Rocket wouldn't been off the ground as fast as it did !
and Warner Von Braun would not of had the interest! or Influence ..

a site you might Enjoy where Science and Science Fiction Clashed Together

Technovelgy
www.technovelgy.com...
(Inventions and IDEAS from Science Fiction )
Prediction of SCI FI Writers becoming true in today's world

I know about the WarpDrive Idea Concept years ago ..
and know of the Mexican Scientist that thought of the IDEA
Miguel Acubierre and it just may work !

Reference
Miguel Alcubierre
en.wikipedia.org...

Alcubierre drive
en.wikipedia.org...

funny as it seems Miguel was inspired the Idea from The TV series Star Trek ..
to even sending a email to William Shatner about it

Art ( Fiction ) imitates Life ( Reality )

edit on 22015TuesdayfAmerica/Chicago7194 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Astronomers rarely report UFO sightings... because they want to keep their jobs.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If I was in any "serious" field with highly reputed peers, I wouldn't be reporting any UFO sightings either if I wanted to be taken seriously.

The whole UFO subject is a "You jump first" kind of thing.

Its sad, but true.
edit on 15-7-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JRCrowley
Astronomers rarely report UFO sightings... because they want to keep their jobs.

AH the whiff of BS fills the air !

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Without reading the post... it's because they can identify most things they are looking at so they are less likely to encounter an unidentified flying object.....

I would see a sattellite and scream UFO more than likely..I almost confused planets last month for UFOS.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

I have heard of one major astronomer who did report seeing a UFO, Clyde Tombaugh (the guy who discovered Pluto). Tombaugh and his wife saw some UFOs over their house in August 1949. A section of his Wikipedia article details his interest in the subject:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If you dont obey to rules, you lose your degree

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I can't find the link now, but Neil deGrasse Tyson's response to this was that when the average person sees something in the sky he can't immediately identify, he assumes it's an alien spacecraft and runs off to tell everybody. When Neil sees something in the sky he can't immediately identify, he's seen something in the sky he can't immediately identify and that's the end of it. The way he said it, I got the impression that Neil had seen things he couldn't identify, but wasn't losing any sleep over it.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just happen to be reading about the craft currently orbiting Pluto and the Astronomer that discovered this distant celestial body. The New Horizon’s mission carries some of Clyde Tombaugh’s ashes on board as it travels by Pluto and beyond.

Clyde Tombaugh was probably the preeminent astronomer to have reported seeing Unidentified Flying Objects. On August 20, 1949, Tombaugh saw several UFOs near Las Cruces, New Mexico. He described them as six to eight rectangular lights, stating “I doubt that the phenomenon was any terrestrial reflection, because… nothing of the kind has ever appeared before or since… I was so unprepared for such a strange sight that I was really petrified with astonishment.” A similar shocked response has been reported by many other who claim to have seen mysterious aerial objects. Tombaugh was also later to report having seen three of the mysterious Green Fireballs, which suddenly appeared over New Mexico in late 1948 and continued at least through the early 1950s. In 1956 Tombaugh had the following to say about his various sightings: “I have seen three objects in the last seven years which defied any explanation of known phenomenon, such as Venus, atmospheric optic, meteors or planes. I am a professional, highly skilled, professional astronomer. In addition I have seen three green fireballs which were unusual in behavior from normal green fireballs…I think that several reputable scientists are being unscientific in refusing to entertain the possibility of extraterrestrial origin and nature.”

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
You should avoid painting with such a wide brush however.

People are, by and large, and for all effective sampling, sheep.

It's why we do not have statues erected to 'great leaders' or archetypes of achievement on every street corner, despite our species predilection for doing so -- there simply are not that many 'great' examples of our species per capita. Of the 90-some billion human beings to have ever walked this planet (*going on current anthropological estimates), only a fraction have every done much worth noting. I.E., in a macro sense, we're a LOT more miss than hit.

As such, as much as one might take umbrage to the label, tarring most with the same, disparaging brush is clearly a far more accurate representation of our species than to say we're all special little snowflakes.

(NB: I'm no misanthrope; I'm just being factual.)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join