It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bears, Bob cats, Coyotes n stuff

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Shoot it into the ground or a hill. Falling bullets can kill.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I don't think I said anything about what the animals are capable of. Except hogs will rip you up if one comes by and you're on his trail. Ask a hog hunter why they trod heavy bush when there are clear trails feet away.

Nor did I encourage fear. If I saw a bobcat around, I would put it down, but only because my little dog runs around and thinks everything exists to please him.

And an animal as stealth as a bobcat getting seen repeatedly is a problem. Something up with a cat like that.

Anyways, if we did want to go the statistics route, well, I can't find a whole lot on injuries, only deaths, so we aren't seeing the whole picture.

But that would just be being argumentative, and I think we are primarily in agreement.

I've been face to face with a black bear at 2 am in the middle of the woods. It will get your heart pumping, but nothing really to fear.

Seeing a bobcat hanging around where people live is like seeing a raccoon in the day time. Something is off with that animal.

I doubly recommend that book, the contented poacher, it has recipes too!

The only 2 times that hogs attack people are when their children are threatened & when people are trying to catch them. They usually hide from us & will leave an area when they smell humans coming. Using them as a threat is wrong because they're not a threat to anything except our crops. Therefore, claiming they'll "rip you up" is wrong. All they'll do is try to run away until you trap them or have your dog attacking them. Then they'll defend themselves until they have a chance to escape. You can't call something a "threat" if it's actively avoiding you, you're actively hunting it, and it defends itself just long enough to escape.

The same goes for bobcats & mountain lions. They can be found almost anywhere in the US. But people rarely see them because they avoid us like the plague. And if we go into stats, we're more likely to choke to death on our own vomit than be attacked by either of them, much less killed by one. That's why I keep pointing out the difference in what they can do (can kill our pets & rip us apart) and what usually actually happens (someone's only seen one twice in their life & both times they ran off with no incidence).

I will say, bears are the exception for me. I can't give an accurate account of bear encounters because I'm not willing to look into the statistics for every state. But I know encounters with bears are much more common than with bobcats, mountain lions, and the such.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

So far as you are concerned? A bear will usually, unless you've made the mistake of getting between mama and her baby, or surprised, will leave you alone. Just don't crowd him.

A bobcat? You've nothing to worry about. You're too big. Unless he thinks he's cornered, then look out, you've got a problem.

A cougar? God knows. They're unpredictable. I've had a big tom-cougar circle my tent at night without touching anything. But they also attack humans without apparent provocation. ...and mostly you won't know they're around 'til it's too late.

Coyotes? I've never heard of them attacking a human, unless they're sick (rabid, distemper...that sort of thing.).

Your pets? If you know you've got any of these critters around, I'd be very careful about allowing them outside. A bear is, generally, but not always, too cautious to mess with dogs. Pumas (cougars), coyotes are death to dogs/cats. Bobcats? I don't know. They're hunters, so if you've got small dogs, they're definitely on the menu.

If you have any livestock in an area that these critters frequent, you'd be advised to get a good rifle and keep it on hand, and ready to go.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Humans are rarely in danger but your cats should be kept inside if you have coyotes and bobcats around. Bobcats don't eat other cats but kill them out of territoriality. Bears are a danger to your garbage can mostly.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

If your cats are outside at night, they can be killed by coyote packs or a Fox. Bobcats and mountain Lions may kill a cat as well, but they would rather climb a tree than face four dogs. Bears usually like to avoid trouble, and do not like dogs.

However if it's a Sow with cubs, she may kill one of them. Just hope that your Dogs do not run into a badger or wolverine, those two are vicious. ~$heopleNation

edit on 11-7-2015 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Bobcat and coyote by a bike trail, Spokane Washington.

I have seen a mountain lion laying in tall grass 20 meters from a picnic. I have seen both coyote and bobcats in the park where I exercise. There have been reports of dogs and cats "running away" mostly smaller dogs.

DO NOT GET BETWEEN A BEAR AND CUB! Bear spray is great, UDAP spray will stop a charging Kodiak grizzly, and a friend swears by his boat horn.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Around here coyotes are not overly afraid of people, just nervously curious. Which means they can be easily scared away. The bigger the fear, the less likely of a return. Coyotes will pass up a steak dinner for a chance at a house cat. I have chased one down a tractor path with a Fire Ranger and it went just fast enough to stay ahead of the truck. It cut across the field to get away. In my stupid anger, I followed on foot. It then turn around to face me and approach boldly. I let out bear roar and stretched up my arms over my head. The coyote ran away harder than my following it with the truck.

Bobcats are around here as well. I have heard them off in the woods and off in the woods while camping. I have never seen one in the wild not do I particularly care to see one while unarmed or alone. I give them respect because I know what a house cat can do to a person if it wants to do so. This coming from a guy that has petted a full grown Bengal tiger (I wasn't alone and was told it was safe).

Bears like all wild animals have their priorities, getting easy food is a bear's priority. Where I live, there are no bears. One could swim across the Ohio River out of Kentucky and wander all the way up here in search of a mate. But it is rare for one to go this far north. Too many cities and not enough woods between me and Kentucky.

As for your unwanted critters, the bobcat concerns me the most only because you have seen it. It could be sick, old, hurt or just have a very bad attitude to allow itself to be seen by a human. They don't like people even when in a cage to be viewed at a zoo or wildlife park. The bear was probably looking for an easy meal or just passing through. While both the bobcat and the coyotes will hunt, the coyotes are the least pet friendly. And like someone else said, the bobcat will kill for spite or just general entertainment. Cats kill for fun, wild cats would stand to do so as well. But bigger concerns is if you are raising chickens, goats, pigs etc. Those will be the hunted animals for food.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Sure it's not a lynx?
a reply to: LamontCranston

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Coyotes and wild dogs can be worrisome when in packs.
I had a hairy encounter with wild dogs, and an acquaintance was harassed by a pack of Coydogs.
a reply to: Ahabstar

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: starswift
It was ID as a bobcat, looks to be skinny for a lynx to me.
Could be the picture though.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I live in Montana and have plenty of experience dealing with the animals you've listed. Our bob cats here are quite a bit larger than in the more southern states, but are very elusive and weary of humans. Black bears are quite common and from my personal experience they are much more afraid of humans than just about any other large animal in this area. Coyotes, in a natural setting, live in pairs and any sort of "pack" you might encounter are the breeding pair and their juvenile pups. They are opportunistic and very intelligent - plenty of people I know have lost small dogs and cats to a wandering coyote, but they are, again, opportunists, not "run and kill" packs like wolves. If your dogs are together and medium sized, I doubt any coyote or group of them would risk injury. Keep an eye on your cats, though, if you live in a prairie type setting without a lot of trees, your cats would be hard pressed to escape a determined `yotie.

In my area, the most dangerous large animal you might encounter is a moose or grizzly bear, with the former being -by far- the most likely candidate for a chance meeting. Moose are not afraid of you, stand their ground, and will literally stomp you to death. They are, however, quite dumb and clumsy compared to a deer or elk.

CSB time!

I've had one bad experience with a mother moose and her baby, and I wouldn't be typing this if I happened across them in a clearing; I scurried through a thick pile of trees and the mother moose became confused when she lost sight of me. She and her calf were in the process of bedding down in the shade on a hot day and I damn near tripped over them while I was stream hopping for brook trout. I ended up bloody from thorns and branches - small price to pay for offending her. Fun fact: Moose have a very intimidating growl, and I will never forget the sounds she was making as I was running at a full clip, almost brachiating like an ape through the pines as she trampled down young trees in a rage. Probably the most terrifying ten seconds of my life.

And yes, I had a gun and I do know how to use it. It would have been effective (.41 magnum) if I had a moment to think, but fight gives way to flight quickly when a 6' at the shoulder, thousand pound animal catches you off guard.
edit on 12-7-2015 by OrdoAdChao because: pronouns grrr

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

We were in Yosemite and besides the hordes of People (it was like Calcutta ) we saw a Coyote jogging along a bike track with a bunch of cyclists not a care in the world.....

edit on 12-7-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have bear spray, I'm not very proficient with guns being an Aussie city girl never needed or thought about them so my local outdoors store guy who is also a cool dude and mad fisherman suggested I'd better be able to manange the spray, as we have rifles at home I barley know the front from the back of, It is a much faster action for the spray, comes with a little holster which I carry when ambling deeper into the wilderness.

My husband has tried to teach me the guns but I think Im too old to get use to or comfortable with them!

*****Thanks***** everyone for such amazing great responses, taking time out to share your wisdom with me. I'm in a new environment and I may as well be on a new planet it is all so different to how my brain is hardwwired regarding the wilderness.

Every simple walk in nature I use tot take I would look to the ground and off to the side in the brushes for snakes (not really anything poisonous other than rattlers and they tell you they are there!) then my eyes flick for Spider webs or funnel web nests. On the beach I look for stone fish to not tread on or a blue ringed octopus, and this is habit for me since childhood.
So my walks are peppered with what will I step on that can kill me, rather than what has picked up my scent or what mama bear I run into.

I'll get there eventually, I am just super cautious with the pets now keeping them in as much as possible.

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Bobcats are usually a lot smaller.
They are also very shy, one livee near me but in 15 years I only saw it once and then only the tail as it streaked by.
They have a ringed long tail, Lynx has a short tail.
Who know though.

edit on 12-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yep, there was a coyote that would sit by the path I ran on.
Here's a list of North American critters that injure and kill the most. This doesn't include domestic animals.
10. Spiders
Black widow spiders. 36 deaths were recorded from black widow spider bites between 1965 and 1990.
9. Scorpions
It is often said that the smaller the pincers, the more powerful the venom.
8. American Bison
Between 1980 and 1999 79 people were injured by bison in Yellowstone National Park.
7. Wolves & Coyotes
The gray wolf (Canis lupus). Since 2000 there have been 2 fatal attacks, one in Canada and one Alaska.
Coyotes with 160 attacks recorded between 1976 and 2006.
6. Mountain Lion
Between 1890 and 1990 there were 10 fatal attacks in North America, yet in the next 14 years alone the total number of deaths had doubled.
5. Alligators
The average number of deaths each year is around 2 to 3 nearly all of which have occurred in Florida.
4. Sharks
Great white, tiger shark and bull shark. The USA is shark attack capital of the world, nearly half the reported attacks globally.
3. Snakes
Rattle Snakes, Copperheads, Cotton Mouth, and Coral Snake. It is estimated that there are somewhere between 5-8,000 bites from venomous snakes every years in the USA, resulting in 5 deaths. This number would be much higher if it wasn’t for the availability of antivenins.
2. Bears
1980 and 1999 24 people were injured or killed by bears.
1. Yep it's Bambi.
Statistically speaking deer (Deer, Elk, and Moose) kill more people in North America than any other animal – around 200 human deaths every year. They're are just really bad at crossing roads. So bad that in 2000 it is estimated that around 100,000 were run over in the US alone. Although plenty of people have been injured and killed while hunting, or just wandering around and surprising one,

Information from Nature Facts Encyclopedia and planetdeadly.com.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: starswift

Don't get between a bear sow and her cub.

Extremly good advice.
Had an mad as hell black bear nearly killing my John Deer in the woods.
Well at least the hood and front lights.

It had cubs nearby.

Another good advice is as mentioned having guns that's capable of killing any wildlife in your neck of the woods.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Coyotes will kill your dogs and cats, but don't tend to attack humans, unless you have coywolves, then who knows. Bears more often than not will turn tail from four dogs, or even a person. Until they don't, then you're going to have a bad time. Bobcats won't kill four dogs, but might attack them individually. Your cats are screwed. Mountain lion will kill your dogs, cats, and you if it wants to, but probably won't, again until it does. You should get a gun.

All true, but generally, most wild animals run from a human presence. Fire a shot in the ground (not the air), every now and then, and such predators will start avoiding the area.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

It is worth mentioning that this rule breaks down a little in certain places, partly because of terrain partly because of the animals in those areas not being familiar with humans.
I'm told that if you go far enough up the canyons here in the desert things you never see tend to just be sitting in the open and kind of daring you to mess their peaceful afternoon. I suppose that comes from limited room to run and being in a shady area with water in the desert.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
True, I'm talking about around your property...assuming you're not TOO far into the wilderness.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join