It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate battle flag comes down in SC at 10 am today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Gov. Nikki Haley signed a bill into law yesterday requiring the removal of the flag from capital grounds. The flag will be removed at 10 am today, and people were already lining the grounds to watch the "ceremony" (I guess it's a ceremony?)

What kind of irritated me about the media reports was they're making a big deal about Haley using 13 different pens to sign the bill, so she can give 9 of them to the families of the slain. Great...they get a pen? Woo!

She goes on to talk about how the "actions of nine individuals" as if somehow those slain had a direct hand in the legislation.

C'mon, governor, you made this your pet project. At least prepare a coherent speech. Winging it rarely works for politicians.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

What kind of irritated me about the media reports was they're making a big deal about Haley using 13 different pens to sign the bill, so she can give 9 of them to the families of the slain. Great...they get a pen? Woo!

They got a whole lot more than a pen

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
This confederate flag hysteria is getting ridiculous. They're more focused on the flag than the actual perpetrator of the shooting..
edit on 10-7-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I like that they're putting money into active shooter training.

Because active shooter training would've really helped here, seeing as the shooter was gone before any law enforcement arrived.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Gov. Nikki Haley signed
up as cheerleader of the Political Correctness party.

Sounds to me like she needs a can of toughen-the-####-up - she clearly has a dose of "lobbynomics"

It's like, here is a better question..........Since laws and stuff are currently being modified to cover all facets of society and their overwhelming desire for things, where is the governor who signed into force the legalization of Marijuana?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Well, another victim of political correctness.

A flag is only offensive if people want to be offended, or if is used to purposefully cause offense. I think that in this case the former is true.

I am not American, but it's clear there is a race problem in the US. Taking down a flag is a victory for no one. Not everyone who flies the Confederate flag is a racist, yet that's the picture painted.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I think that's the first time something I've said has been selectively edited and I didn't mind at all.

Completely agree.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

That is the dumbest part to me, this shooting took place of one of those drills. Worked pretty well I guess, flags going down and dukes of hazzard is of the air.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

It's a good thing. A symbol up to such drastically conflicting interpretation does not belong at a State House that is supposed to do the work and represent all peoples of its state.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Yep.

All the racial stuff is now a thing of the past. With the removal of the flag from the SC capital building, all our issues are solved.

Woo-Hoo... I am sooooo happy, now.

God, this is so useless.

What exactly is accomplished by this? Are those innocent dead suddenly going to return to life? Are the bigots suddenly going to see the light of kindness to those who are different?

Somehow I don't think so.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Oh I don't care about the flag. Haley just looked completely unprepared for her speech and with the obvious political grandstanding she was doing I would think she'd be a little more ready.

But it's early and I haven't had enough coffee yet. In another hour or two I probably won't find her to be so irritating. Lol

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Misread you, sorry.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
it's just a red herring to distract from the real issue: gun control and culture of racism.
Unless someone can prove the flag forced that guy to carry out the shooting.
In a sick way it was really brilliant, instead of having the usual talk about gun regulations that goes nowhere and doesn't look good especially during the political run, they pointed their finger towards the flag.
They know most americans will wag their tails like excited dogs at buzzwords that invoke the ideas of safety or freedom.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Nope. I fear she'll be just as irritating no matter how much caffeine is used.

Political grandstanding at its finest.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I'm not by any means tying to tie them together, I was simply pointing out the victims families got paid 3.2 million dollars each.

And they took Dukes of Hazzard of the air...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, another victim of political correctness.

A flag is only offensive if people want to be offended, or if is used to purposefully cause offense. I think that in this case the former is true.

I am not American, but it's clear there is a race problem in the US. Taking down a flag is a victory for no one. Not everyone who flies the Confederate flag is a racist, yet that's the picture painted.

Who is the victim? A flag? Being politically correct has the intent of not offending a particular group. I fail to find how being non offensive causes victims. It would be the people who want to be offensive? They can still be offensive if they want to be. Somehow even suggesting someone not be offensive toward a minority group makes them a victim. Have they been hurt? Oppressed? Made to feel sad? I don't understand.

The flag just didn't belong there. It will find a home on display inside of the same building or in a museum.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Yep.

All the racial stuff is now a thing of the past. With the removal of the flag from the SC capital building, all our issues are solved.

Woo-Hoo... I am sooooo happy, now.

God, this is so useless.

What exactly is accomplished by this? Are those innocent dead suddenly going to return to life? Are the bigots suddenly going to see the light of kindness to those who are different?

Somehow I don't think so.

A little at a time helps. No, this does not solve it all. One brick does not make a building.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
it's just a red herring to distract from the real issue: gun control and culture of racism.
Unless someone can prove the flag forced that guy to carry out the shooting.
In a sick way it was really brilliant, instead of having the usual talk about gun regulations that goes nowhere and doesn't look good especially during the political run, they pointed their finger towards the flag.
They know most americans will wag their tails like excited dogs at buzzwords that invoke the ideas of safety or freedom.

People have been trying to get these flags down from government property for years. Actually, I hadn't thought about it in days until I saw this thread. Symbols can be removed and at the same time guns and racism can be discussed. I don't think one cancels out the other.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Not one person ever claimed that removing the flag from the State House would heal racial issues in this country. These things are done in steps and this is just another. Should steps not be taken because it doesn't solve the entire issue all at once? "Not a magic pill? Okay never mind!" ?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
CNN was actually running a countdown clock last night on Don Lemon's show. Gloat much? It's surreal. This entire thing is a prefab wedge issue, sucking the life and common sense out of this nation.

Yes, remove it from governmental campuses but the rest is just some jaded cult ritual like dancing naked around a bonfire.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join