It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate battle flag comes down in SC at 10 am today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The Battle Flag was raised over the Capitol dome in 1961 to celebrate (really?) the 100th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.

It remained as a protest against the Civil Rights movement.

It's important to note the above bolded in this debate that people wrongly conflate with appeasement to political correctness and band-aids on gaping wounds.

In 2000 the state of South Carolina moved it 30 feet away from the dome, to a memorial still on Capitol grounds. The debate about that, never ended. Many people, I think rightfully so, saw the move as just a slightly resigned but still denial of equality. Not good enough.

The Battle Flag, flying on government grounds... especially legislative grounds is absolutely repugnant to the notion of equal representation. Also it is disgusting for the South Carolina government to tax black people while flying a flag for 53 years that stated South Carolina protested their equality.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: michaelbrux
a reply to: Vector99

Everything to do with Iran, you are just incapable of seeing it. Has a great deal to do with religious society in General, but Iran specifically.

And Iran does have a nuclear weapons program and it's being dismantled whether they like it or not.

The pens will gain value as time passes.

I'm quite capable of seeing things, I just don't see how Iran relates to any of this, I welcome you to teach me something new.

Also, the pens already have a value, it is 3.2 million dollars USD per family.

*OH! just noticed your Iranian nuke program thought. Like they couldn't have them if they wanted. I think the nuclear things they are doing is actually power-generating related, seeing as nuclear power plants provide lots of electricity to people.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Yep.

All the racial stuff is now a thing of the past. With the removal of the flag from the SC capital building, all our issues are solved.

Woo-Hoo... I am sooooo happy, now.

God, this is so useless.

What exactly is accomplished by this? Are those innocent dead suddenly going to return to life? Are the bigots suddenly going to see the light of kindness to those who are different?

Somehow I don't think so.

Nope!

Removing the flag will not do any of the things you listed.

But it will definitely do one thing.

That is, it's going to show that South Carolina does not support those who wish to affiliate themselves with that flag any longer.

It's going to show that South Carolina believes that, that flag belongs in a museum of history, not in front of a state capitol.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
The Battle Flag was raised over the Capitol dome in 1961 to celebrate (really?) the 100th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.

It remained as a protest against the Civil Rights movement.

Sooo that flag is remnant of a civil war based on owning slaves right? Even though...EVEN THOUGH the emancipation proclamation happened 2 whole years after the start of the civil war.

Yes folks, the civil war was already underway for 2 years before the emancipation proclamation. But...slavery

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

It's simple ... the Battle Flag is a modern day equivalent to Nebuchaddnezzar And was to be used against the United States the same way Nebuchaddnezzar was used against Judah...

It was the Iranians that used Babylon against Judah and ultimately they inherited both Judah and Babylon as the two were destroyed and Iran became the Worlds paramount power.

In this case the Battle Flag will be put away but respected and Iran is neutralized.

Quite simple to understand.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

exactly.
They are tackling something that is at most trivial. We all get that the flag has a very negative history behind it and if the majority dislikes it and wants to see it go, let democracy have it's way.
But the sense i get is that the flag is responsible for the shooting, all people can talk about is that.
pro gun or not, we all know that in america anyone (in the worst possible sense) can get a gun. and those should be handed out with extreme scrutiny.
But sure i guess now that the flag is no more we removed the cultural barricades that make people racist.
I guess the next time some racist jerk shoots minorities the government will ban the sneakers the shooter was wearing...let's hope it's lacoste because they are pretentious af

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Disjointed statement is disjointed.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Will they take down the flag pole?

Otherwise people will spend years talking about the bad flag pole that flew the 'flag'. The pole is still a symbol of that flag.

blah blah blah

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Will they take down the flag pole?

Otherwise people will spend years talking about the bad flag pole that flew the 'flag'. The pole is still a symbol of that flag.

blah blah blah

The flag pole will not be taken down, and I hope that they put up a rainbow flag on it

link   
a reply to: michaelbrux

Well I'll hardly consider 600BC times relevant to modern day, especially when you can't even spell Nebuchadnezzar correct. Nor do you have actual knowledge of the Assyrians of the time I'm also (safely) guessing.

Nice try to assimilate it into the Confederate flag being taken down though, I applaud the effort and starred you.

link   
All the ceremony today surrounding the removal is absurd. The CNN anchor is saying silly things like "Where were you on July 10th, 2015 when the Confederate Flag came down?". Why even give it such merit with the pomp and circumstance?

This fixes nothing. It's not the Emancipation Proclamation. It's not economic equity. It's not jobs. It won't bring those nine people back. It won't end gun violence. It won't end racism.

I'm glad it's coming down off the Capitol grounds but let's not be naive about how we are being played a little.
edit on 7/10/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

So do you advocate removing all the grave markers on state and federal property bearing confederate emblems?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

My apologies if you weren't trying to tie that flag to slavery

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you... Was directed at the overly emotional people, I fail at specifics quite often since I'm relegated to my phone for now.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
All the ceremony today surrounding the removal is absurd. The CNN anchor is saying silly things like "Where were you on July 10th, 2015 when the Confederate Flag came down?". Why even give it such merit with the pomp and circumstance?

This fixes nothing. It's not the Emancipation Proclamation. It's not economic equity. It's not jobs. It won't bring those nine people back. It won't end gun violence. It won't end racism.

I'm glad it's coming down off the Capitol grounds but let's not be naive about how we are being played a little.

You're right in that it fixes nothing

But what good does that flag do being up there? That flag might have started out as a simple battle flag, but today it has been hijacked by racists and skin heads and that's what it stands for today.

So why not bring it down?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

That's exactly the point of this thread. It was never intended as a debate about the flag.

It's ALL about the glaring, obvious, plain as day grandstanding going on. One of the most obvious examples I've seen in a while.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You can't honestly make a thread about it and not expect it to go that way though, this is ATS after all

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
They didn't leave anything out of the script - two white guys took it down and gave it to a black guy. Really!? LoL!
Well played, I guess?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Thats why all of this is strange to you. Do you often find yourself not understanding recently?

The next six months will be very stressful for you.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm reminded of a few sayings:

"This is how it starts. With the little things that no one really thinks is important....."

and

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

People are easy to manipulate. Whole populations can be molded into the way you want them to think. Simply play on their emotions. Use their anger (does not mater what they may be angry about, could be anything), and pick a scape goat to focus on. Drum up enough discontent with a finger pointing at that scape goat, and you can get any population to do what you want, where you want and how you want.
This is a very, very old tool, and has been used for thousands of years. It's quite effective, because it makes those that think they are doing the right thing, not notice how they are placing their own chains and shackles on.....not until one day they suddenly notice that they are on.

And then they wonder how those shackles got there.

And by then, it much to late.

It's a very insidious tool.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join