It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate battle flag comes down in SC at 10 am today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Race problems in America? Why yes, yes there are.

With the amount of hysteria, you'd think there were cross burnings on every block every weekend. Or lynchings.

Which is, of course, nonsense. Utter and complete nonsense.

Bigotry exists. Yes. Is it as bad as it was even thirty years ago? Not even remotely. Though there will be people who will disagree with me.

Thirty years ago, would a mixed race man have been President? Thinkin' very unlikely. Yet, here we are, a man of mixed race is President, in fact he served, or will, two full terms.

Odds are good a woman will be in the running to replace him. Would that have happened thirty years ago? Again, unlikely.

Many another change has happened that none would have thought possible even thirty years ago...

So, yes, problems exist. But things are getting better, and will continue to do so.

...and hey, none of it due to removing a flag.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I misread your comment. Sorry

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Good.

Now hopefully some people can move on.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Yep.

All the racial stuff is now a thing of the past. With the removal of the flag from the SC capital building, all our issues are solved.

That's right. Why didn't someone think of this many years ago. Without the flag people will automatically change their behavior and see others in a different light.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

normally i would agree with you, i mean people can, SHOULD, be able to have two separate thoughts at the same time.
but wouldn't you agree that, compared to previous mass shootings, the focus on the murderer is almost completely gone? you hardly hear anything about him at this point.
the focus has completely shifted to the flag.
As far as i'm concerned get rid of it, sure, but it feels rather "off" how attention was diverted.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I misread your comment. Sorry

No worries, sometimes I come off wrong, I'm just mad that I can't see Daisy in reruns anymore, oh heck I'm really not that mad over it...or am I?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

The man who committed the horrible crime has been caught, he's confessed, the families have forgiven him. He will stand trial, what is there to talk about with him until then?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
My family has been Southern Americans since escaping the Brits across the pond during the potato famine, (No hard feeling gents) They mostly lived as poor farmers out of the Middle TN basin. Well here comes the civil war and the union invaded, sending out their red legged cavalry throughout the country side to "pacify" the population. My family didn't own slaves, could barely afford shoes most times. Yet those union soldiers rode from farm to farm, burning pillaging and raping to their hearts content, and some of my ancestors fought under the Confederate battle flag to defend their home from these people.

I don't have a flag but I am strongly considering getting one after discovering this about my roots. I wont take mine down because some dingbat has a "heartful speech" to give trying to drum up PC attention. Someone likes the attention she`s getting and found a way to milk it as long as possible, that's what I see.

Really worried about all those Orange Chargers out there, they don't make those cars anymore and with many General Lee replicas out there you just know some of them will be vandalized or destroyed for having the Confederate flag on its roof.
edit on 10-7-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I hear the KKK are playing taps as the flag comes down.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The pens will symbolize the role of those dead people that they played in ending the American Civil War, which ceremonialy ends today at 10am.

It is related to the obsolescence of the Iranian nuclear weapons program, the one they say they don't have, which is also official at 10am...but the crippling sanctions upon Iran will remain, of course, until they give up the missiles and allow full access to their land.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: michaelbrux

The pens will symbolize crap to those families, lets be real. they encountered a tragedy but got a windfall. Nothing to do with Iran or their nukes.

PS - If you think Iran really wanted nukes and couldn't have them, well tune in to fox news for the latest update!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

If it were a brick, I'd agree.

It's a red herring. A distraction.

What will change things, or continue the change, is people getting to work. The civil rights movement in the Sixties worked in the face of bigotry the likes of which few, if any of us, have ever encountered.

They didn't worry about a flag. They worried about being arrested. They worried about being shot/murdered. They worried about being able to vote. They worried about getting people registered to vote. They worried about teaching people to read/write, so that they could vote. They had to worry about the FBI. Local sheriffs. Local Klukkers/Klaverns. Hell, they had to worry about socially retarded Governors like George Wallace screaming about "Segregation now, Segregation tomorrow, Segregation forever."

Things must really have improved if a flag is the most important issue facing us in this regard.

If a journey begins with but a single step, this issue is, at best, a toe wiggle.

edit on 7/10/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Things must really have improved if a flag is the most important issue facing us in this regard.

People don't seem to realize that this and other concessions amount to little but being hailed as a grand accomplishment and an end. Throw the people a scrap and they are pacified. The same huge problems in our country are not being dealt with yet people accept this as a major change.

As stated, if a flag is your biggest problem then things must be pretty good. It doesn't seem to be for many of us.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Everything to do with Iran, you are just incapable of seeing it. Has a great deal to do with religious society in General, but Iran specifically.

And Iran does have a nuclear weapons program and it's being dismantled whether they like it or not.

The pens will gain value as time passes.
edit on 10-7-2015 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Did I miss a memo... The only flag I'm aware of on SC state government grounds was on a memorial... Because the flag that had been on top of the state house was moved some years ago.

Yet thread after thread people talk about it coming off the state Capitol building.

Or at least that's how it reads to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: irishhaf

I said "capital grounds" in the OP?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Perhaps you can start a thread explaining how pens used to sign a piece of state legislation about a flag pertains to it Iran's nuclear program?

Because I don't see the connection. Unless the pens are powered by depleted uranium from said nuclear program....

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I thought this thread was about the 9 Pens...that will forever symbolize the Union Victory in the Civil War and the elimination of an Iranian led coalition that led brother against brother, as is their way of life.

A second thread about the pens is unnecessary.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think Obama should go to Charleston and help take the flag down and he and the Governor should lead the crowd in a nonreligious song...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

99 bottles of beer would be the perfect song!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join