It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Declare War On Words 'Husband,' 'Wife'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: neo96

Dunno how that applies to courts siding with the wife when couples get DIVORCED.

Why, do you suppose, that happens?

Because the courts are sexist of course.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Society is getting there.....

Max Headroom (TV series)

The series is set in a futuristic dystopia ruled by an oligarchy of television networks. Even the government functions primarily as a puppet state of the network executives, serving mainly to pass laws — such as banning "off" switches on televisions — that protect and consolidate the networks' power. Television technology has advanced to the point that viewers' physical movements and thoughts can be monitored through their television sets; however, almost all non-television technology has been discontinued or destroyed. The only real check on the power of the networks is Edison Carter, a crusading investigative journalist who regularly exposes the unethical practices of his own employer, and the team of allies both inside and outside the system who assist him in getting his reports to air and protecting him from the forces that wish to silence or kill him.

Never let a crisis go to waste !

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
OK, we're at page 10. It may have already been said. Lesbians call their spouses "wife". Gay men call their partner "husband". I've seen it over and over. So..... WTF IS THE PROBLEM.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Dunno how that applies to courts siding with the wife when couples get DIVORCED.

Why, do you suppose, that happens?

Because the courts are sexist of course.

No really. Is it because the wife was expected to stay at home to nurture and raise the kids, while the man was expected to take care of everything financial and legal? Was it because women had no other way support themselves and their children, after their husbands left them for their 20 something secretary in his new convertible sports car?

Things aren't the way they used to be anymore. The times, they are a changin. For the better I believe.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
OK, we're at page 10. It may have already been said. Lesbians call their spouses "wife". Gay men call their partner "husband". I've seen it over and over. So..... WTF IS THE PROBLEM.

So, why should their be forms that they must fill out that require that the husband AND the wife are designated?

Should there be special forms for hetero couples, lesbian couples and gay couples? Isn't it just easier to say "spouse"?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Yeah, the 1800's were swell! Everyone had life expectancies in 50's.

And ?

Thanks to modern day GMO's, and big pharmaceuticals, and a government that just loves to make buddies with terrorists that really hasn't changed all that much.

Public Lynchings were fun!

Apparently they are still fun because that is what both the right,left, and the MSM, and we here on ATS do on a daily basis.

Black people knew their place, didn't they?

Them evil rich people,bankers,ceo's, gun owners, and the big bad evil police sure do don' they ?

Getting a public lyinching on a daily basis.

Women VOTING? Nah. Their place is barefoot in the kitchen raising kids.

Why no it's just better to have a government sugar daddy that gives them free healthcare, and birth control.

Yup, they truly were good times.

The 21 century is just so awesome ain't it?

Since 1960 the average life expectancy of the average American has risen from 70 to 80. And that's just in the last 50 someodd years.

So, you're wrong there.

The last public execution in the US was in 1936.

So, you're wrong there.

Your other points are just hyperbole, so I won't even bother responding to them.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Things aren't the way they used to be anymore. The times, they are a changin. For the better I believe.

I don't think so.

One particular party is trying to make everyone as much as alike as possible.

Rewriting definitions to outright word games.

What some people fail to see is that people are unique. We are individuals.

That is where we draw strength from.

Not a carbon copy cookie cutter mold some politicians think we ought to be.

The article in the op is absurd.

Husband, and wife is 'offensive' ?

Politicians are offensive, and should be banned.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

So, why should their be forms that they must fill out that require that the husband AND the wife are designated?

Exactly...why? Nothing wrong with wife/wife, etc.

Should there be special forms for hetero couples, lesbian couples and gay couples? Isn't it just easier to say "spouse"?

Sounds kinda like gays got the right to marry, against the wishes of many and this is to disallow them from the same titles as straight people have. Petty and childish. That said, this is new so there's bound to be growing pains.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

There's nothing unique about being labeled a "wife". As matter of fact, the term represents quite the opposite.

People are unique, their relationships and their marriages are unique, so why should our legal forms force anyone, straight or LGBTQ, have to sign a form swearing to be a "wife" or a "husband".

Spouse is not an offensive term

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

It is about newspeak. Orwell's stated definition of newspeak was removing words with precise meaning from the English language whereby to reduce the language to a minimalist collection of words which the state possesses absolute definition over.

I think it's more about how conservatives have adopted a strategy of framing every issue as one of the left trying to take something away from Americans, the white Christian Right in particular. Give gay people equal right to be married? That's not increasing liberty at all folks! Nope, that's taking something away from conservatives!

I wonder what's going to happen when it dawns on people that marriage certificate forms are going to have to be updated too. I'm sure that will be another round of blathering cry fest from butthurt conservative drama queens.

edit on 2015-7-10 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Book 1982. Gender Neutral pronouns is not new.

Grammar and Gender by Dennis Baron

Baron is a grammarian and listens pretty carefully to what people say. Gender bias exists in language, and even in our ideas about language. Surveys reference works from the Renaissance to the present, and ventilates the "history" of words used to demean women. www.librarything.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Can't you see?

IT'S THE DEMOCRATSSSS!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Interesting video. I haven't learned to imbed yet. Spank me

Gender Neutral Pronouns: They're Here, Get Used To Them
By Tom Scott

m.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Legal language is important. Don't tell me it's not. I am a wife. Not a spouse.

Again, victim card.

This is about legal protection for people, something that is guaranteed to them in our rights.

I am so sorry that a word offends you so much.
Maybe some SJW will be by to be outraged with you

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

There's nothing unique about being labeled a "wife". As matter of fact, the term represents quite the opposite.

As far as I know: Spinster means Spinner of Yarn. And Wife means Weaver of Yarn.

That's from years ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

As far as I know: Spinster means Spinner of Yarn. And Wife means Weaver of Yarn.

That's from years ago.

Dude has a point. "Spinster" is a term that doesn't have a good connotation to it. "Bachelor" is cool though. Old double standard.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is one issue I can honestly say I do not care at all about. Poitless , pointless, pointless arguing. I should rephrase...is is one NON-issue I could care less about.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Benderisfunny because: Typo

edit on 10-7-2015 by Benderisfunny because: Damn autocorrect

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Here ya go!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Insanity and Madness.

www.nationalreview.com...

These Words and Phrases Are Apparently Sexist Now

“Oh man!” as in “Oh man, it’s raining!” Why isn’t it “oh woman, it’s raining?” Why isn’t it “Oh people, it’s raining?” How sexist! Saying “oh man” is apparently such a serious problem that a rape crisis center gave sociologist Sherryl Kleinman significant space in its newsletter to try to convince people to stop using it. It’s a “reinforcer of a system in which ‘man’ in the abstract and men in the flesh are privileged over women,” she explained.

“You guys” as in “You guys want to go grab some pizza?” Like “oh man,” saying “you guys” also reinforces gender inequality, according to Kleinman. And she’s not alone — last year, Macalaster College launched a campaign impressing upon students phrases such as “you guys” are so sexist that they have an “oppressive impact” on culture.

“Husband and wife” Again, WMC considers this sexist because it puts the husband before the wife. If you use the phrase “husband and wife” more often in a speech or document than “wife and husband,” you’re sexist. Please keep count.

“Men and women” Okay, so you can’t use “you guys” to describe a crowd. How about “men and women?” Nope. Or at least not more than half the time. According to blogger Rady Ananda, that’s also sexist. The phrase says “men” before “women,” so people who say it are basically saying they think men are more important than women. In order to be not sexist, Ananda said, you have to “alternate the words through a document or verbal presentation.”

“Ladies and gentlemen” Okay, so don’t use “you guys” or “men and women” to describe a crowd. What about “ladies and gentlemen”? The phrase puts women first, there’s no way that could be considered sexist! Nope, still sexist. Why? Because the correct pair for “gentlemen” is “gentlewomen.” The fact that “parallel” words aren’t chosen makes this phrase inappropriate, according to the Women’s Media Center. So how on earth should someone address a crowd? Probably best to to just wave.

“Founding Fathers” According to Ananda, the phrase Founding Fathers is sexist because it only refers to men. Apparently the fact that the Founding Fathers were only men is not enough to make it not sexist. Ananda suggests using “founding leaders” instead.

“Opinionated” WMC states that people should not use the word “opinionated” because it is almost only used to describe women. A simple Internet search suggests that this is not the case.

edit on 10-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

Pretty tough to tell the two apart...

Think woman 2 sneaks out by a hair though.
Woman 1 does have it pretty rough to be fair, I mean can you imagine the horror of seeing spouse on a forum!?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join