It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Declare War On Words 'Husband,' 'Wife'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

It seems like your entire stance seems to be based on this notion that lawyers representing same sex couples will now have a way to make more money...

Or is there something I am missing. Because you just keep rambling on about court scenarios and then bringing up the lawyers in the end.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Democrats Declare War On Words 'Husband,' 'Wife'

That's funny coming from the same people that brought the hypenated American name.

Guess only some words 'offend' the democrats.

Then they turn around and discriminates against millions of others.

Hey lets ban banker.

Then lets ban gun owner.

Then lets ban rich.

Can't be offending people now can we ?

Er well who ever happens to be in a democrat 'protected' class!

Anyone on their snip list ?

We now that is a totally different story.

Saw the same thing with ILLEGAL immigrant.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: ketsuko

It has to do with gender specific language, pretty simple.

Zero to do with your personal life.

Oh, but it has plenty to do with it. Legally, my personal status is being changed to strip me of the "outdated gender roles" I would rather keep.

How are you being stripped of your chosen gender role? You can still make sammiches for your man, clean toilets and do laundry in your frilly apron, while Hubbie brings home the bacon and watches Monday Night Football!

Anyone can assume gender roles if they so desire, but filling out a government form or document shouldn't relegate anyone to such limited titles.

I would prefer the law to call me "wife." I have a "husband."

We were told that the legalizing of gay marriage would have zero impact on our own marriages, but here comes the first one - the law is stripping us of our former legal status and giving us a gender neutral one.

What if I don't want that? What if most people don't want that?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Victim card much?

If your personal status is so flimsy that what it says on a piece of paper can changeit then I think there is an outside issue.
It's just words at the end of the day right?

This is just about legal language, get over your self.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Ya we were missing your standard rant about banks guns and the rich that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Thanks for staying consistent .

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Nobody is "stripping" anything from you. Most legal documents ALREADY include the word "Spouse".

Look over your mortgage. Does it say "wife" on it?
Look at your car note. Does it say "Wife" on it?

Jesus. Stop making an issue where there isn't one. This is 100% about removing possible legal loopholes and 0% about the "gay agenda's war on christians"

link   

a reply to: neo96

Ya we were missing your standard rant about banks guns and the rich that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Thanks for staying consistent .

No problem considering how much inconsistency there is in American politics.

Can't be selectively enforcing the LAWS now can we ?

Well if someone is a democrat they can.

link   

Victim card much?

If your personal status is so flimsy that what it says on a piece of paper can changeit then I think there is an outside issue.
It's just words at the end of the day right?

This is just about legal language, get over your self.

No I will not.

We were promised that gay marriage would change nothing at all. They just wanted to be just like us, and now we have to be gender neutral for them?

I don't want to be gender neutral.

Legal language is important. Don't tell me it's not. I am a wife. Not a spouse.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

For the IRS or your insurance company to refer to as "spouse" instead of wife doesn't take away from the fact that you are, indeed, someone's wife. But, you are also a spouse, are you not?

It's not like you're being referred to as something that you're not. You are a spouse and your husband and loved ones know that you're much, much more too! Do you really need a cold, non-human government agency to affirm that for you?
edit on 10-7-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Nobody is "stripping" anything from you. Most legal documents ALREADY include the word "Spouse".

Jesus. Stop making an issue where there isn't one. This is 100% about removing possible legal loopholes and 0% about the "gay agenda's war on christians"

They don't say spouse.

link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: Kromlech

Makes sense to me. Language can be very important in interpreting the law and therefore needs to be updated from time to time to better encompass its purpose.

In other words, change the language of the law to fit the desired interpretation? That's not "interpreting the law," that's legislating from the bench and then altering the law to be in compliance with the bench legislation.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

For the IRS or your insurance company to refer to as "spouse" instead of wife doesn't take away from the fact that you are, indeed, someone's wife. But, you are also a spouse, are you not?

It's not like you're being referred to as something that you're not. You are a spouse and your husband and loved ones know that you're much, much more too! Do you really need a cold, non-human government agency to affirm that for you?

Apparently the gays did, so now I do too?

I am sick and tired of PC language everywhere, and I do not want to be gender neutralized just because we legalized gay marriage.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

They don't say spouse.
Tell me, what do they say, then?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Your legal status was already spouse. That, or married.

The definitions of which have changed from marriage being "between a man and woman" and spouse meaning "member of the opposite gender to which one is married."

How that impacts your marriage is beyond me?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Answer

i don't know....but i agree with him. We got bigger fish to fry.

I, personally, love fried fish.

Damn it, now I want catfish.

I guess I know what's for lunch.

Fried perch is my favorite, especially when they wear suits and ties.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

So what?? Sounds like a good idea to me. Why should the law differentiate between "Husband" and "Wife" in a marriage?

Shouldn't they have equal treatment in a legal context? "Spouse" should suffice.

It's not the 1800's.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
It's not the 1800's.

No, it isn't. It seems to be 1984, however.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I am sick and tired of PC language everywhere, and I do not want to be gender neutralized just because we legalized gay marriage.

I'd prefer to be gender neutral in the eyes of the law?

Is there some specific tax break you have been getting for being Male? If so...please do share.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Indigo5
It's not the 1800's.

No, it isn't. It seems to be 1984, however.
Please, I know you're smarter than this. This isn't about "newspeak" or any other orwellian dystopia nightmare. It's about closing a possible legal loophole that you KNOW for a fact lawyers would use in the future to swing a case if the language stays the way it is.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

When same-sex marriage was legalized in Canada in 2005, parenting was immediately redefined. Canada’s gay marriage law, Bill C-38, included a provision to erase the term “natural parent” and replace it across the board with gender-neutral “legal parent” in federal law. Now all children only have “legal parents,” as defined by the state. By legally erasing biological parenthood in this way, the state ignores children’s foremost right: their immutable, intrinsic yearning to know and be raised by their own biological parents.

This is what they did in Canada when same-sex marriage was legalized there. They enacted gender neutral legal terminology.

www.thepublicdiscourse.com...

It has had impacts on parental rights and the rights of the children involved.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join