It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass antelope die-off baffles scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This story is pretty crazy. That is a LOT of antelope dying. And a 100% mortality rate.

After many thousands of years roaming much of central Asia, the saiga antelope has had a terrible couple of decades—and a devastating few weeks. A mysterious illness that causes severe diarrhea and breathing difficulties has wiped out what could be up to half of the remaining population of the species, New Scientist reports. Officials in Kazakhstan say the disease has killed 85,000 of an estimated world population of 257,000 since about May 10, but experts say they've heard unofficial estimates closer to 120,000. The species—known for its distinctive tubular nose, the AP reports—numbered more than a million in the 1990s but has been in decline since, thanks in large part to poachers, and was already considered critically endangered before the latest die-off.

Source

The scariest quote from this story being:

"I know of no example in history with this level of mortality, killing all the animals and all the calves." The team, which has been taking soil and vegetation samples, believes the mass deaths may have been caused by a bacterial infection or by a virus carried by mosquitoes, Smithsonian reports.

So someone that studies these animals for a living knows of no example in history that has this level of mortality.....and it is believed to come from mosquitoes.....can't wait until this crosses species!
edit on 7/8/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Such a shame, but it seems natural. Here's a very interesting study done on hundreds of mass die offs since the 40's. Mass Die Off Study

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Such a shame, but it seems natural. Here's a very interesting study done on hundreds of mass die offs since the 40's. Mass Die Off Study

I appreciate the link and will read. I think the main reason this one is odd to me is that the scientists are baffled as well. This is similar in that respect to the other story I posted about the birds disappearing and the biologists have no clue why or where they went.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I guess sometimes the scientists just don't have all of the answers, or at least they aren't readily apparent. It seems like they're on the right track with the saiga; it may be mosquitoes, or bacteria, and hopefully they can pinpoint which it is and employ some prevention.

The saiga antelope are such a strange animal, it would be a shame if they were gone. They're one of those animals that reminds me of pre-history, like they don't quite belong.

For anyone who isn't familiar:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This story has mad scientist written all over it.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I guess sometimes the scientists just don't have all of the answers, or at least they aren't readily apparent. It seems like they're on the right track with the saiga; it may be mosquitoes, or bacteria, and hopefully they can pinpoint which it is and employ some prevention.

The saiga antelope are such a strange animal, it would be a shame if they were gone. They're one of those animals that reminds me of pre-history, like they don't quite belong.

For anyone who isn't familiar:

They are some of the most interesting looking animals I have ever seen.

What concerns me about this story is it has a very similar feel to the white nosed bats die off from some sort of bacterial infection....and when it hits the bat population of an area it has a 90% mortality rate.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was something similar being that they think it is mosquitoes that carry it...and guess what bats eat a lot of...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

In all my years of watching nature shows and going to zoos, and surfing the net, have I seen this animal. I have never heard of it until you started this thread.
It sounds to me like a virus that only affects them. Perhaps by isolation, it has only affected them and not jumped over to another species.
Just like humans, we have our virus that can decimate the population. Unfortunately, there is not enough concern to make a vaccine for them.
On the other side of the coin, we might have to let nature take its course. Hopefully, one individual will create antibodies to this virus and pass it on.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

They are pretty amazing looking creatures.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealTruthSeeker
This story has mad scientist written all over it.

All mad scientists began from the West and remain experimenting on population as long as labs aren't told to the public.

All animals viruses was created by human during lab experiments and releasing the animals. Viruses are not part of nature unlike bacteria's.

www.independent.co.uk...

edit on 8-7-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I thought that the bat die off was due to a fungus not a bacteria.

The mysterious deaths of millions of bats in the United States and Canada over the past several years were caused by a fungus that hitchhiked from Europe, scientists reported Monday.

Link

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
How could we not conclude that atmosphric chemtrails, cloud seeding, geoengineering, and the modern humans' fascination with tampering with Earth's natural course, has thrown our planet out of balance...forever?

One by one, animal species are reacting to the chemicals wielded into the atmosphere and are dying off, slowly, not reproducing their kind, due to the poisons flung at them by humans.

Who will become extinct first, the humans or the animals?
I would hope it will be the humans, to give a little respite to the natural world, to enable them to reorganize and flourish.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starling
How could we not conclude that atmosphric chemtrails, cloud seeding, geoengineering, and the modern humans' fascination with tampering with Earth's natural course, has thrown our planet out of balance...forever?

One by one, animal species are reacting to the chemicals wielded into the atmosphere and are dying off, slowly, not reproducing their kind, due to the poisons flung at them by humans.

Who will become extinct first, the humans or the animals?
I would hope it will be the humans, to give a little respite to the natural world, to enable them to reorganize and flourish.

Its going to be animals first because right now most of us Western people seem safe in our homes from chem trails. The day when humanity starts to go is when we have to burn all forest and this would be the Gov's or the people's fault for not checking itself who really is in power. The Mad or them.

Note: Military Personnel are considered people.
edit on 8-7-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

with the bats yes, it is a fungus and they don't know how to kill it or control it...but at least they know what it is
edit on 9-7-2015 by research100 because: added a couple of words

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Very sad, I hope conservation efforts are put in place and this doesn't decimate the remaining endangered population. My bet is human activities have messed Something up, introducing a pathogen or something of the likes that wouldn't have occurred as easily in nature on it's own

new topics

top topics

join