It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Idiots Strike Again, Cross Removed from Chapel

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
What is a chapel with no cross?

JOE SOUCHERAY

"Just in time for Christmas, Regions Hospital has removed the cross from its chapel and placed it in the chaplain's office adjacent to the chapel so nobody will see it. Actually, Christmas gets mentioned here only seasonally. The decision to remove the cross had nothing to do with any particular religious feast.

Let's try this again. The hospital decided to remove the cross from the chapel. Chapel. There was a fear, apparently acted on by hospital administrators that the cross could be offensive to those who use the chapel but are put off their game by a crucifix.""

PC lunacy

When will these PC morons get a brain?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Let's try this again. The hospital decided to remove the cross from the chapel. Chapel. There was a fear, apparently acted on by hospital administrators that the cross could be offensive to those who use the chapel but are put off their game by a crucifix.""

Thats dimented.
Thats like winging about nudity in a stip club.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well, hospital chapels should be non-denominational....especially if it is receiving public funds. I can see the reasoning here.... Of course, the truly devout should be able to get past this...

Personally, I usually check out the chapels in hospitals I visit just out of curiosity.... I've never seen one with a cross, or one that seems to espouse one religion over another.

Normally, I'd be the first to agree when PC nuts go overboard. In this case though, I can see the reasoning. Most people use such chapels in some of the most dire of life circumstances (i.e. impending death of a loved one), and removing such a distraction is probably a good idea... If you were a Christian, and went to a hospital chapel to pray for a loved one, and there was a Buddha on the altar, how would you feel? There you go....

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
. If you were a Christian, and went to a hospital chapel to pray for a loved one, and there was a Buddha on the altar, how would you feel? There you go....

I always (nearly) Iagree with what you say Gaz, but I for one woould have no problem praying in front of a Buddha statue if I thought it would help someone, and I am Christian. God cannopt be summed up by a crooss, it is just a symbol people use to associate with Christ, but it's not offensive to other religions, just like Buddha isn't to me.

PC can only go so far before it implodes

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I am sick an tired of this tyrany of the minority. America is 80% approx Christian. Soon they will want to take St. out of St. Paul. It is a Chapel not a Mosque or Synagoge. Go stand in the snow........

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Chapel? How do you know the next step isn't to change the name to multi-purpose prayer area
?
I think I can see the reasoning here though. Aren't there some denominations of Christianity that don't have the cross as their symbol?
I always thought that the use of the cross as a symbol was kind of morbid, considering that Jesus was supposed to have died on the thing.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Chapel? How do you know the next step isn't to change the name to multi-purpose prayer area
?

Actually- for public hospitals perhaps nothing that specifies.. I tend to agree with Gaz.. Australia is very multicutural for instance so heavy bias would be discrimination.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I am sick an tired of this tyrany of the minority. America is 80% approx Christian. Soon they will want to take St. out of St. Paul. It is a Chapel not a Mosque or Synagoge. Go stand in the snow........

Get tired of it all you want! While I agree that if this was in a place other than hospital....it would be ludicrous....this actually makes sense...they ask you your religious preference when you are admitted to a hospital.....therefore you should be able to pray in a place of worship not dominated by one faith...in a hospital!

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

What is a chapel with no cross?

JOE SOUCHERAY

"Just in time for Christmas, Regions Hospital has removed the cross from its chapel and placed it in the chaplain's office adjacent to the chapel so nobody will see it.

Its a non denominational hospital chapel. It certainly doesn't need a cross.

Actually, Christmas gets mentioned here only seasonally. The decision to remove the cross had nothing to do with any particular religious feast.

The hospital decided to remove the cross from the chapel. Chapel. There was a fear, apparently acted on by hospital administrators that the cross could be offensive to those who use the chapel but are put off their game by a crucifix.""

Yeah, like jews, muslims, hindus, fire worshippers and anyone else who isn't a christian but would like to pray in the chapel.

If it was a christian chapel then i could understand, but its not right, its a non denominational chapel in a public hospital.

It is a Chapel not a Mosque or Synagoge.

Right, its a chapel, not a synagoge, or mosque or hindu temple or christian church; its a chapel.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

?

I think they will. After all, chapel originates and means:

Main Entry: chap�el
Pronunciation: 'cha-p&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French chapele, from Medieval Latin cappella, from diminutive of Late Latin cappa cloak; from the cloak of Saint Martin of Tours preserved as a sacred relic in a chapel built for that purpose

: a place of worship used by a Christian group other than an established church

I think I can see the reasoning here though. Aren't there some denominations of Christianity that don't have the cross as their symbol?

Not that I can think of.

I always thought that the use of the cross as a symbol was kind of morbid, considering that Jesus was supposed to have died on the thing.

Protestants show it empty, that he is risen. Sometimes gold, with vines and such to represent life.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If I was the head of a Hospital and was caring for many sick people, there would be one sentence I would say to anyone who asks about a chapel.

"God has no place within these walls!" � Super-Intendent Charmers.

Seriously... that space could be used for another bed, or some life saving equipment.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

Seriously... that space could be used for another bed, or some life saving equipment.

what, even though it was prbably on a WALL and about the size of an A4 piece of paper? I sincerely doubt it would....

[edit on 27-12-2004 by chebob]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

what, even though it was prbably on a WALL and about the size of an A4 piece of paper? I sincerely doubt it would....

Ummmmmmmmmm...I think he was talking about hte whole chapel here ...........not just the dross

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It's been par for the course lately.

Attack anything Christian..
Then kiss all non-christian butts.
WHY?
It only serves to divide people even more.
Maybe thats the point of the whole thing.

PC-ness is nothing but Lawyer induced HYPERsensitivity.
It has created a huge diverse group of CRYBABIES, WHINERS, and other sniveling jerks.
It's also created a climate of TOTAL mistrust between ethnic groups, religions, men and women..You name it.

Just to be clear here. I am an atheist, why would a cross bother me?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by chebob

Ummmmmmmmmm...I think he was talking about hte whole chapel here ...........not just the dross

Bugger.....the ONE time I don't read above it.....shucks, sorry!

but having looked again, I don't think he was on about the chapel....bah. I knew I should have left this thread to it's own devices.....

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Okayyyyy..but stop yelling.......

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yeah I was talking about the whole chapel, Personally if I was in charge wouldn�t care if someone had a cross or even pentagram on the wall as long as it didn�t take up ground space

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Johnny Redburn]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Just to be clear here. I am an atheist, why would a cross bother me?

So if one was a muslim and had someone dear to them in the hospital and you wanted to pray, you should have to go to a christian church? Or a baptist, if they wanted to go to pray somewhere quite in the hospital, should have to sit under the crossed swords of the sihks?

Its a public space, and literally its funded by public tax dollars. Why put only a cross in there? No one that goes there should have to feel like its not intended for them, or that they are in someone elses place. If a muslim was kneeling on the floor and praying and standing, and then other christians walked in, would they then be allowed to tell him to stop, would they have some sort of 'right' to the space that he doesn't? The cross makes it a christian space, not a nondenominational one, which is what its supposed to be.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
In public, the place you own is where you stand but should be representative of the community population. Remember Affirmation Action? Oh no! Here comes the fire!
*ducks*
Seriously, if we're going to treat ethnicities this way, we need to treat religions, culture, and related freedoms of expression this way too.

In private, the place you own is what you've purchased.

[edit on 27-12-2004 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is so dumb. Shouldnt those docters be more concerned about the people that are sick and not their relatives. Just leave the damn cross up. If they want to put a buddha or voodoo dolls then who would care. Just go to what you believe in. These finatics are taking down anything religiouse. Imagine if they were to take down the Giant Christmas tree in NY City. Religiouse freedom was a guaranteed right by the founding fathers. Was a guaranteed right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join