It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about Windows 10....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeSbO

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Windows 10 takes spying on Americans to a new level.

7 is going the way of 98.

Beware of Greeks bearing free gifts.

Also, why MS are practically giving it away to everyone but are keeping the "activation" mechanism/s intact, defies logic.

To me it looks like some kind of better way of indentifying computers is happening, you'll be stuck with the same activation ID as long as you use windows, so you started off with your new windows 7/8.1 PC, which has it's own ID, upgrade to windows 10 with the same ID, upgrade to windows 11 still the same ID, well as long as the computer exists, and if you bought a boxed windows 7/8.1, should keep you going with the same ID for 20 years lol. Bit like a social security number

Tying a single license to single PC hardware makes no sense, especially with virtualization, multi-core CPU's (& GPU's & ALU's) & the OS being essentially free. Also multi Application Keys and requirements for Key Management Servers in enterprise situations muddy the waters even further. It is just unnecessary code.

edit on 7/7/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Also, why MS are practically giving it away to everyone but are keeping the "activation" mechanism/s intact, defies logic.

To me it looks like some kind of better way of indentifying computers is happening, you'll be stuck with the same activation ID as long as you use windows, so you started off with your new windows 7/8.1 PC, which has it's own ID, upgrade to windows 10 with the same ID, upgrade to windows 11 still the same ID, well as long as the computer exists, and if you bought a boxed windows 7/8.1, should keep you going with the same ID for 20 years lol. Bit like a social security number

Tying a single license to single PC hardware makes no sense.

It does make sense if you are the product, and that they are selling your info over a span of many years as opposed to selling you a OS. If it's free you are the product. If they want it to work they will make it work. (though it doesn't bother me I'm an open book, if they want to look at what kind of sexual intercourse I like watching,what kind of products I like buying, what kind of news I like reading, it doesn't bother me one bit, but I'm used to internet (part of the intial internet users in my country, a hardcore one, over 20 years ago).

Enterprise servers and such will not be going to win 10 any time soon (not talking about a couple of small servers in a little companies office) - hell most of them that use windows are still on a windows 2000 iteration. This product is not targeting big companies, it's intended for the everyday user (knowing that most people don't change CPUs and GPUs and change computer every year, 90% of users end up with a HP or dell PC for 5 years) and the licence will be attached to an e-mail address at one point I imagine, and personal information, and having to justify your info if you want to change computer or make hardware changes
edit on 7-7-2015 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

From what I have read about windows 10 from another website is that its going to be installed as a service, Dunno what that exactly means but MS (and god knows who else) is going to have direct access to it, You will not be able to prevent them installing anything on your computer.

You could, conceivably, be mid way through something and your computer will reboot because they have installed some updates on it - without your permission.

For "home" users M$ will completely hide the update mechanism. In Pro and Enterprise, it will still be visible and updates can be declined.

So, that means home users will be stuck with the M$ version of the firewall....is that still going to be a part of Win 10?
Windows Essentials of something?

And, if I currently have Win7 Professional....I'll have Professional on Win10??
edit on Tue Jul 7 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: Azureblue

From what I have read about windows 10 from another website is that its going to be installed as a service, Dunno what that exactly means but MS (and god knows who else) is going to have direct access to it, You will not be able to prevent them installing anything on your computer.

You could, conceivably, be mid way through something and your computer will reboot because they have installed some updates on it - without your permission.

For "home" users M$ will completely hide the update mechanism. In Pro and Enterprise, it will still be visible and updates can be declined.

So, that means home users will be stuck with the M$ version of the firewall....is that still going to be a part of Win 10?
Windows Essentials of something?

And, if I currently have Win7 Professional....I'll have Professional on Win10??

Yes, the software firewall is now firmly entrenched in Windows, as is Defender (which now incorporates Security Essentials). That being said, there will remain ways to disable them, as they would conflict with 3rd party anti-malware/security solutions and commercial agreement has been reached with those companies to not adversely affect their business.

Considering the state of the Internet, and the holes in Windows security left because of usability requirements, I believe M$ decision to make it harder for end users to simply disable security features is wise.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Tying a single license to single PC hardware makes no sense.

It does make sense if you are the product, and that they are selling your info over a span of many years as opposed to selling you a OS. If it's free you are the product. If they want it to work they will make it work. (though it doesn't bother me I'm an open book, if they want to look at what kind of sexual intercourse I like watching,what kind of products I like buying, what kind of news I like reading, it doesn't bother me one bit, but I'm used to internet (part of the intial internet users in my country, a hardcore one, over 20 years ago).

Enterprise servers and such will not be going to win 10 any time soon (not talking about a couple of small servers in a little companies office) - hell most of them that use windows are still on a windows 2000 iteration. This product is not targeting big companies, it's intended for the everyday user (knowing that most people don't change CPUs and GPUs and change computer every year, 90% of users end up with a HP or dell PC for 5 years) and the licence will be attached to an e-mail address at one point I imagine, and personal information, and having to justify your info if you want to change computer or make hardware changes

In my experience, most enterprise businesses have modularized and virtualised their back-end. The hardware itself is depreciated in book value at least every two years and is replaced. For leased equipment, the lease terms usually include a refresh cycle of less than two years. Software refresh is done at the point where it has minimal affect on business continuity, i.e; during these hardware refreshes. New hardware has new features that older software does not address (PAE, NX, 64 bitness and VT stuff in CPU hardware as an example).

If an enterprise is supporting an @ 15year old server with a 15 year old operating system, it will be highly likely that it will fail. If a business is paying support engineers for this, then the engineers are not doing an adequate job. Old 32 bit Windows applications can run on newer OS's in compatibility mode. For 16 bit applications, they can be run in a virtual machine with an older OS like XP, such software, though, is hardly 'enterprise' and no doubt, newer software would exist that has the same or similar functionality.

In larger data centers, even the Intel platform is being dispensed with and expensive monolithic Intel CPU's are being replaced with hundreds of RISC chips on a card, with hundreds of cards in a rack. Windows still runs, but only in a fully virtualised environment. These cards and modules can be swapped in or out with zero impact upon the executing, virtualised OS.

edit on 7/7/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Your silence translates into a deafening "NO", you don't.

My silence translated into me going to bed so I could get up for work in the morning.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that you should not have to upgrade your 8 before you're able to download the 10 ISO. Only time will tell after MS opens the upgrades to the world at the end of the month.

In my case i'll be getting the RTM version on the 9th, apparently the feedback is really good on this windows, and windows has rarely (maybe never) had this much testing before a release.

I'll still have it on dual boot with 8.1 though just in case, won't update my 8.1, and use the RTM 10 for free (they are allowing it) as long as you're a beta tester throughout the life of the OS.

Sorry, but they actually just recently changed that. You won't get the RTM for free for being a Microsoft Insider (beta tester). The only way to get the RTM for free is by upgrading Windows 7 or 8.1, or installing the test version on an activated machine with 7 or 8.1.

Having said that, you can continue to be an Insider and test buggy versions of Windows 10 for free and get free updates to the next buggy version to test. But beta testers won't be getting Windows 10 RTM for free just for being beta testers. Read this article for more:

Microsoft Finally Decides, No Free Windows 10 For Beta Testers

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
If someone here is using Windows 10 already, I can recommend you to install the latest CCleaner version with its support. Download here and keep it on your PC in order to maintain it clean and fast. It really helps me with mine.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I just saw this and thought I'd add it to the discussion...some computers won't be happy with Win 10....

Should you get Windows 10?

Windows 10 is coming on July 29, and it's going to be free for most home users of Windows 7 and 8.1 until July 2016. But while a legitimately free copy of Windows is pretty enticing, upgrading isn't the best move for everyone. You may recall that Windows Vista had some compatibility woes, largely due to how other software detected the version of the operating system. Depending on the vintage of your PC and how you use it, upgrading your OS may not be worth the potential trouble, even if the OS is free. Let's look at a couple scenarios where you might want (or not want) to take the plunge into Windows 10.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm on the fence and would like to find out more about the pricing scheme

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Anybody bite the bullet yet? I have a spare so I think I am going to give that one a go first. We will see....

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Meh so far I'm not seeing any issues.

I've updated several of my PC's, some as old as 2009 and they are humming a long nicely. I'm running into a compatibility issue with some drivers, like bio-metric fingerprint readers and on board webcams, but nothing I can't resolve.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I will be using tin foil to cover the camera and microphone.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just wanted to give a quick update.

I have updated 2 desktop computers and both are working great. My laptop still has not downloaded the update. So far so good.....

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
Just wanted to give a quick update.

I have updated 2 desktop computers and both are working great. My laptop still has not downloaded the update. So far so good.....

How long did it take??

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Accer took a bit over an hour. The Dell took almost 2 but it has TONS of files on it.

So far it's like Win 8 & Win 7 had a baby.

edit on 7/29/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I found my windows 7 drivers had issues, if I used windows 8 drivers everything that was buggy started working perfect.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

That's not too bad.....no driver issues?
All files moved correctly?
Did you have to reinstall all your software, things like MalwreBytes?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I got this link for another thread.....it seems there is some privacy issues being raised with 10....and something called Cortana....whatever the heck it is....
www.acclaimednews.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Cortana has to be manually turned on. It's like "Siri" or "ask Google" type thing ... only sucks more.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
All files moved and so far all of my programs are still working without having to tweak them. So far I haven't seen any driver issues. Sorry can't help with Cortana, mine is turned off.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join