It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your city or town really like?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: intrepid

you got er .

Nice town. I could live there. Then again I like NB. Except for that damned Trans Canada Highway. 2 lanes for a national highway?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Born and bred in stoke-on-trent (its where all the fancy pots etc came from till a few decades ago) and Wedgwood/Doulton etc decided to pop up shop as there was the right sorts of clay and plenty of coal along with once the canals were built to transport it anywhere in the country as its a reasonable central point

As for racism theres never really been much and probably most has been some drunk idiot deciding to launch the 'race-bomb' while drunk at a taxi driver when he doesn't want to pay etc but generally everyone gets on.

The police around here pretty much are a response only thing and shooting someone is 20 pages of paperwork so better to turn up and surround a house where someone reported a firearm which turned out to be a pot scrubber in grey on a window sill than actually stopping someone as it means extra overtime

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

No problem . If I am not mistaken there are many Turtle Islands . Indian Islands . Indian mountains . all named after the Indians that lived here of course .

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Its not the same as it was . I think it is all twinned now .

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You might like this .."New Brunswick straw house community offers free land
South Knowlesville Community Land Trust is seeking new members www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

My town has gala days where the rich land owners parade about and we all wave flags, its small minded backwards and is stuck in 1980's , drink and drugs are all to present .

A hub of pish in the arse end of Scotland .... Some proper good history tho very interesting for tourists

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
We currently live in Evansville, IN. This place SUCKS! I cannot stress how much it sucks..like another commented on how their city sucks the life out of them is exactly how we feel. My husband has a one year contract here..and in AUG it's up! The people here are very distant. Very poor..the schools are beyond atrocious. The downtown is run down and many streets look like war zones. The homes are boarded up and falling apart. They do have a lot of shopping areas that are spread out over the city..but mainly just industrial looking wholesale places...like 'cabinet warehouse' or 'window king outlet' it's really weird. Most people I have run into look like they have had a pretty rough life. They are exactly what you see in one of those people of walmart videos. Lots of tats..(not good one)..missing teeth..looking a little methy or drug-y. There is a lot of crime and I believe Evansville tops either the state or the nation in #of suicides each year. I would not recommend anyone move here. The city is not pretty..haven't really been to one area that I think "wow..now this is nice!"..It's all pretty much a Sh!Thole.

Population in 2013: 120,310 (100% urban, 0% rural). Population change since 2000: -1.0%

Estimated per capita income in 2012: $20,384

Estimated median household income in 2012: $34,104 (it was $31,963 in 2000)

Unemployed: 8.7%

#1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Warehousing and storage

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Born and lived all my life in Georgia . You know , part of the Deep South where progressive liberals say that bigoted , racist gun-toting people are predominant.That we all "cling to our bibles and guns" . What a laugh . I have yet to meet anyone that qualifies for the above statement. And I have lived here a long time. Police in my city. Never hear anything. Other than the occasional traffic stop ,you hardly ever see them . Yet they are right there if you need them. Cant say as the last time I heard of anyone committing a murder. Will check but I believe it was 1970s? maybe one in 1990 something.No stores robbed. Last was in the 80s.Everyone seems to get along especially in the rural areas.Pretty much a peaceful , uneventful life.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: galaga

The land of Enchantment is as close to paradise as anything the US has to offer.

Love the "Q".....Easy Livin

Lol. Locals never call it the "Q".

Although, we do refer the state as "The Land if Entrapment" for many reasons.

Here is a cool quote from Wikipedia about our language.

"There are many New Mexicans who also speak a unique dialect of Spanish. New Mexican Spanish has vocabulary often unknown to other Spanish speakers. Because of the historical isolation of New Mexico from other speakers of the Spanish language adopts numerous Native American words for local features, and contains much Anglicized vocabulary for American concepts and modern inventions."

We are an unofficial bilingual state. We used to be official.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
Another thread got me thinking. What is the town or city you live in really like?

Is there police violence?

Is there rampant racism?

How do the citizens treat each other?

I live in Albuquerque, NM. I was born and raised here. Or "I was born and raised here all my life." That's how locals say it.

What I see happening all over the country is not quite what happens here. Sure, we do have our little isolated incidents of racism. But its not on the level I see on TV.

Albuquerque is a very unique place. Well, NM is very special in general. But this little city in the desert is not like any city I have been to. In Albuquerque, the same families that settled here in the 1500s are still here. They are still Spanish and have assimilated almost every other immigrant family that ever settled here. So it is not uncommon to see blond haired and blue eyed people with a "Hispanic" last name. Its prolly more common than uncommon.

In Albuquerque, you can distinguish where what neighborhood they come from just by their accent.
My first girlfriend was a blonde, blue eyed chola with the heaviest South Valley accent. Which sounds part Canadian part Spanish and part surfer.

We just don't treat each other like that. For a city with almost a million people in it, ALL of us know someone who knows someone who knows you.

We hold doors open for each other. We say "sup" and do the head nod to total strangers. We all eat green and red chile on everything. We have no major sports franchise so we root for our world champion fighters. (Bobby Foster, Johnny Tapia, Danny Romero, Holly Holm). We have nothing else that will get us on that world stage. But when a Burqueño does make it, they become complete bad asses. (Neil Patrick Harris). And we root for them.

Its not uncommon to see a "hispanic" in a high ranking position. So when I see, "the first hispanic" whatever. I think, "this is new? They act like we are retarded."

I love my city. I love the people that live here. The only thing I hate here is the police. The police here, just like most of its citizens don't discriminate, they kill and assault every color. There is no white privilege here. We are all treated equally. And they will kill us just the same.

What's your city like?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Neopan100

...this pretty much describes Owensboro, KY as well. Yeah, I'm pretty much across the river from you. I've been here all my life. This Tri-state area has always been crappy. I'm ready to uproot and go far away.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3

I live here too, only for 11 years this month, and you've summed it up beautifully!!

Oops...still having a time figuring how to reply (as you can see, I replied to myself somehow). It's old age hot on my heels...:
edit on 1-7-2015 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Another thread got me thinking. What is the town or city you live in really like?

Totally dig the town I live in. Beautiful outdoors nearby with all the amenities of city life. It's a pocket of conservatives surrounded by mostly liberals so I do experience a bit of prejudice here and there but it's mostly a pretty mellow place.

Is there police violence?

Only from drunk "good ole' boys" coming out of bars but that scene is thankfully dwindling as the town continues to diversify. Although, with the influx of hipsters, I can't tell anymore who's urban and who's rural.

Is there rampant racism?

The sentiments are in place for it but the demographics don't support it. It's seriously the whitest place in an otherwise colorful state. This has also gotten better and the occasional minority normally gets treated with a condescending celebrity status (which is better than being hated, but still). People who are born and raised here don't seem to know how to act around certain people or when presented with certain concepts.

How do the citizens treat each other?

It's a very friendly place. You will be quickly judged for being yourself if you don't fit the FOX paradigm but it's not nearly as bad as other places. In fact, most probably wouldn't notice it. The Pride festival was active and without incident so things are definitely getting better.
edit on 1-7-2015 by Cuervo because: Formatting...

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Born and bred in stoke-on-trent (its where all the fancy pots etc came from till a few decades ago) and Wedgwood/Doulton etc decided to pop up shop as there was the right sorts of clay and plenty of coal along with once the canals were built to transport it anywhere in the country as its a reasonable central point

As for racism theres never really been much and probably most has been some drunk idiot deciding to launch the 'race-bomb' while drunk at a taxi driver when he doesn't want to pay etc but generally everyone gets on.

The police around here pretty much are a response only thing and shooting someone is 20 pages of paperwork so better to turn up and surround a house where someone reported a firearm which turned out to be a pot scrubber in grey on a window sill than actually stopping someone as it means extra overtime

A star for you Maxatoria and three cheers for Betty Page!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm not originally from here.
I don't intend to be here much longer. It's not that bad I suppose. We have a decent life. It's just not my forever home.
I don't think anywhere is really.
There's some police violence I hear. Men accused of domestic violence usually hit a few door jambs on their way to the back.
The most complaints of corruption are from those facing the usual drug charges, driving charges, etc.
There's usually a couple of murders each year and they are generally familial.
Predominantly (>90%) caucasian. We are very close to many bigger cities and if you want to go out to eat, shop, attend sporting events, or music venues you must travel.
Racism isn't "rampant" although there are pockets of it.

People seem to get along well. There are the usual Friday night fights at the local watering holes and such but, it really is sort of a sleepy little place. People are usually friendly. We seem to get along well with our neighbors even though they are all homeowners and we rent. There's nothing wrong with renting it is just that renters are usually seen as transient so people don't like to invest too much time and energy getting to know them sometimes.

Church on Sundays, Friday night lights, and cruising Main Street (w/o getting caught!) are still the usual...it IS the Bible Belt after all!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: leeb317

You guys are from my neck of the woods. Ever heard of Morganfield? I'm originally from Hazard, Ky - but because of work, we moved to Morganfield years ago. [ I'm in Illinois now ] Talk about a shi**y town! Cops are dirty as hell, the County Attorney is crooked, the Sheriff's Dept is crooked...you get the point. One of the local judges and several local lawyers were caught with coc aine.....and it just mysteriously went away. It was reported in the local paper once and then nothing was ever heard about it again. The judge and lawyers never went to jail and kept practicing law. No suspensions, no investigation...nothing. Since the coal mines closed down and local manufacturing has pretty much gone, the area has turned in to the welfare and food stamp capitol of the county. Drugs are a serious problem and the schools are just a joke.
edit on 1-7-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ok. Keepin with the ATS theme, what about an alien here?

That's a Canadian band btw. We can be illegal too. Bwahahahaha.....

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Ok. Keepin with the ATS theme, what about an alien here?

That's a Canadian band btw. We can be illegal too. Bwahahahaha.....

You would fit right in in Albuquerque. We say "eh" too.
edit on 1-7-2015 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The cops aren't bad here in our local town. Just don't try telling them to give up coffee or they might get nasty.

Not much problems with racism here, they will be having a bike race sometimes next week.

How are the citizens here? The ones that don't admit they are Yoopers are a pain in the butt. They shove roundabouts on us so we can worry more about sliding into other people in the winter. It should be an effective way of keeping people from going out Christmas shopping in the winter so it will eventually should save us money. The extra we pay to the insurance companies will balance out with less that we spend at the stores.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I've been to Morganfield.... ate at The Feed Mill on the way to Little Sturgis. That's about all that's there that I've seen. Been around Hazard as well.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join