It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK Supreme Court: Ten Commandments Monument Must Be Removed From Capitol

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Link

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled Tuesday morning that the Ten Commandments monument must be removed from the State Capitol grounds.

In a 7-2 decision, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled that the monument violated the Oklahoma Constitution and “shall be removed.”

Mike Reynolds, a former Oklahoma Representative who helped re-erect the monument, released a statement saying, "From the start, we expected this case would likely go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court."

Brady Henderson with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) released a statement saying, "Today's ruling is an important victory for all Oklahomans, regardless of their religion or beliefs. It reminds our state government that our religious choices are our own, and it is not the state's job to tell us which beliefs are right or wrong."

Wonder why all of a sudden they decide to get all PC about the monument. Quite the trend now.
edit on 1-7-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Obviously further proof of the prosecution of the christians in this once great christian nation!

/sarc off.

For those that are against this ruling, would you be okay with any other religions monument on state capital grounds?

Just to keep things current, what would the outrage be if it was a muslim monument?

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

t's been there quite awhile. Wonder why all of a sudden they decided to feel PC about the monument... Quite the trend now.

It was put up in 2012 and it has been an issue since the erection of it...

Not sudden by any means.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

It isn't enforcing belief in anything. There are plenty of things that could be removed from American societies under such rules, like advertising, tv shows, statues.

Silly PC nonsense, it will bite them back. I have written plenty about my opinions on Christianity but it is the basis of American laws, and America is a Christian nation.

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

This has to do with government buildings, not what you see on TV.
You are right that it is not enforcing a believe, it is promoting it though. We don't want our gov promotioning religon.
The only nonsense here is saying that our founding fathers based this nation on christianity when that is just not true.

Would you want another religons monument on state grounds?
Because that is the flip side of allowing this go stay, you know religious freedom and all that.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

No doubt. Though, I am kind of bummed it went this direction. I was really looking forward to a Baphomet statue being put beside it instead of it being removed.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Link
Wonder why all of a sudden they decide to get all PC about the monument. Quite the trend now.

Live and die by the sword. There's no way in hell that Oklahoma, a state which has a church on every corner, would allow a satanic statue on Government property. If they kept it in place it was going to open a can of worms they didn't want to deal with. Bye bye monument.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to: Cuervo

Since we are talking religious philosophy it should be a huge concrete one dollar bill complete with the eye and latin, after all have you seen what happens to anyone from any other country that disrespects the almighty petro-dollar?
Speaking of which, maybe place a monument to Hiroshima and Nagasaki beside it since we are talking things that modern America was founded on, war and money...the true religions.

In god we trust...said the money.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Overall the commandments are a pretty good set of rules to live ones life by . Perhaps they should just re name it , 10 very good ideas .

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Obviously further proof of the prosecution of the christians in this once great christian nation!

/sarc off.

For those that are against this ruling, would you be okay with any other religions monument on state capital grounds?

Just to keep things current, what would the outrage be if it was a muslim monument?

I was under the impression that the 10 Commandments are from the Old Testament which is a cornerstone of Islam, Judaism and Christianity - therefore it's as much a Muslim/Jewish monument as it is a Christian one.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

It isn't enforcing belief in anything. There are plenty of things that could be removed from American societies under such rules, like advertising, tv shows, statues.

Silly PC nonsense, it will bite them back. I have written plenty about my opinions on Christianity but it is the basis of American laws, and America is a Christian nation.

America is not a Christian nation, never has been. There is good info on that in an installment of NLBS.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

America is not a Christian nation, never has been. There is good info on that in an installment of NLBS.

The majority of the religious in this country are Christian, and according to statistics, most Americans identify as Christian. I don't see a mosque on practically every street corner in America, you see churches -- which speaks for itself.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Lot of Okies didn't care about the satanic black mass... Bet most didn't care about the monument that the satanic temple was working on till this ruling.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: irishhaf

If that were true this never would have been an issue.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

More than 70% of Americans identify as Christians.

JAK

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Wasn't the freedom of religion/separation of church and state a considered position, a refusal to censure or promote with the intent to forever ensure freedom of religion? Rather than 'Silly PC nonsense' isn't this removal a symbol of dedication to personal liberty?

So arguments against the separation of church and state and thus freedom of religion such as "all PC" "Silly PC nonsense" must be, purposely or otherwise, derived through a filter of favour that the government take an interest in people's personal religious preferences. A move which opens the way to intolerance.

Thomas Jefferson Edward Dawse

I never will, by any word or act, bow to the shrine of intolerance, or admit the right of inquiry into the religious opinions of others. On the contrary, we are bound, you, I, and everyone, to make common cause, even with error itself, to maintain the common right of freedom of conscience. We ought with one heart and one hand hew down the daring and dangerous efforts of those who would seduce the public opinion to substitute itself into . . . tyranny over religious faith. -- Letter to Edward Dawse, 1803

The majority of the religious in this country are Christian, and according to statistics, most Americans identify as Christian. I don't see a mosque on practically every street corner in America, you see churches -- which speaks for itself.

That may make for a nation with many Christians, but not a Christian nation offered as it is with the inference that laws should be, or ever were reverential to Christian beliefs above others.

To messers. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

Th Jefferson
Jan. 1. 1802.

America, you have things to be rightfully proud of and which no reason can casually dismiss. Do not screw things up foolishly throw such treasures away through petty political partisanship or religious zealotry.
edit on 1/7/15 by JAK because: spllelings

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

The only nonsense here is saying that our founding fathers based this nation on christianity when that is just not true.

Which is actually a shame - imagine what the US might be like if it WAS a christian nation........not the modern evangelical drivel....but real christian....

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

The words " constitutional republic" says a lot more.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

America is absolutely not a Christian nation.

Even if the legislature in Oklahoma wants to believe it so.

From the Treaty of Tripoli, enacted just 20 years after independance:

"the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Right from the mouths of our founders.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I have written plenty about my opinions on Christianity but it is the basis of American laws, and America is a Christian nation.

British and Roman law are the basis for American law, not Mosaic law.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join