It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well that MUST mean that YOU support ISIS and condone chopping off kids heads!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I've noticed a disturbing trend as of late, I'm not sure what logical fallacy it would fall under, perhaps a fellow member can help me out as to which specific one it is.

There has always been a lot of hate online. Sometimes the hate is thinly veiled, sometimes it's very obvious. I will admit that hate can be perceived differently by others and even I have unfairly labelled people as hateful whether it's religious, racial, gender and so on. No one is always right.

Now back to my main point:

What really bugs me recently is when I call out someone on their obvious hatred towards whatever it is they are venting their ignorance upon, they say something like "Well you must support ISIS and little kids having their heads chopped off". I've been told similar things various times by several members, and I have seen many others be accused of the same.

This deflection is so pathetic that it makes me want to smash my head against a brick wall but then I realize it is not worth it and the person saying these foolish things is probably really messed up in the head and I should feel sorry for them, not feel anger towards them.

To all you sneaky spin doctors, I don't hate you and I am not mad at you.

I pity you.
edit on 6/27/2015 by tothetenthpower because: [Mod Edit] - Snipped

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: real_one

…the person saying these foolish things is probably really messed up in the head…

…either intentionally or also fooled by the manipulators.

Famous words by Bush…

Ridiculing those who disagree with band wagon propaganda is official government policy.

Don't let it fray you, one of many tactics designed to incense you and throw you off the mark. Ignore it, stick to your guns.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I usually try and ignore it, but lately they've been winning and I've been taking the bait.

Sadly I would have to say that most my posts/interactions on ATS over the last few months have been some sort of conflict, usually replying to the type of people such as I mention (no one specific) in my OP. You are right though, I need to just let it be, I am confident that most people can see right through it.

Another funny things is that I get caught up in arguments in topics that don't even interest me that much. The topics which I am most interested in I rarely post.

If someone were to go through my post history they would probably think that I am a grumpy old man, no offense to all those grumpy old men out there...I'll be one soon enough.

Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed and need a nap.

ETA:

Ty for posting that vid, it perfectly fits the theme of my rant

edit on 27-6-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I would agree that what you read on the internet has probably got 20-30% dumber in the past year.

Its a disturbing trend.

Anti-intellectuals, zealot "patriots" (I put that in inverted comma's because it refers to the chest thumping/tribal/egomaniac/with us or against us type of person, not people who simply love their country), religious fundamentalists, bigots, homophobes, 'celebrity' trash and - frankly - just dumb people are constant fodder in news feeds due to the popularity of clickbait sites like Buzzfeed and Distractify. That, coupled with seriously piss poor and lazy jornalism from ALL of the major news sites makes it look like the world is going downhill rapidly.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I usually try and ignore it, but lately they've been winning and I've been taking the bait.

I know, school yard antics, right? How to reason with child like arguments?

I know how hard it can be, walking away from it, Ignore the insult and pick out the fallacy. You been around a while. The fallacies are growing, so too, does the resistance to exposing the lies.

After all we all watch all day as the US government digs ever deeper holes for itself, trying to shore up their rational for some unjust "War on Terror" and Old Cold War dogma.

Other people see that too, just keep shining light in dark places. Like you just did starting this thread.

(and take breaks)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thread title is misleading. I thought this would be a rational forum, not a liberal propaganda thread.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Bro you don't need to expect. Just say it the way it is. If someone has a mental block, Is trolling and is not complying to our standard of Understanding and acceptance Just call them Ignorant and let it be.

the human mind is a complicated thing and it dosn't always comprehend the messages another mind triess to imply upon it.

What i am saying is, People are stupid. Not all people, But there are some really dumb people out there. We are all surprised they havin't killed themselves yet but in due time.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Omg shut up about isis.. even talking about it or giving it any form of thought is fueling their machine of chaos by design.

So sick of hearing about it. Seeing recent/new threads with "ISIS" in the titles.

/facepalms

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
There is no longer any sort of thing as allowing your opponent to have a principled dissent.

There is a book called Rules for Radicals, and we are living and being divided according to 12.

* RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity’s very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)

Notice all the cries of hypocrisy? The way they point out every single scandal attached to a party or candidate that tries to push for family values? If you can't be perfect (and no one can), then you they put you in the corner and attack you personally and call you hypocrite. And if you point out their own foibles, they claim they were never perfect and never tried to be as if that is enough in an of itself.

* RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. (Pretty crude, rude and mean, huh? They want to create anger and fear.)

Pretty clear. First off, it delegitimizes the "other" in your own mind and absolves you of having to think you need to address his very real concerns. Second, you attempt to Kafkatrap your opponent, forcing them spend time defending themselves instead of advancing their own arguments if you're lucky. Third, to anyone on the outside looking in, you might be successfully painting your opponent as the "other" to be dismissed in their minds just as easily as you are dismissing them.

* RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones. (Radical activists, in this sense, are no different that any other human being. We all avoid “un-fun” activities, and but we revel at and enjoy the ones that work and bring results.)

Clearly, one thing we all learned in school is that it's fun and makes people feel good to bully others, and that's what's going on. When you demean someone, you are making yourself feel good, and that's why people who bully engage in it. They need to feel good about themselves.

* RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)

And this one is the worst - It openly admits this is about subjecting people to very real pain in order to get what you want. It's an admission that means justify the ends, and you are willing to walk over the souls and minds of anyone and everyone who gets in your way to achieve what you want.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
So basically if somebody doesn't buy into your idea of "enlightenment" then they're just ignorant and hate "whatever."

Can't possibly be that they disagree with you, or consider their own line of thought enlightened and yours to be ignorant. Nope.

You're enlightened and they're ignorant hatemongers.

Very benevolent of you to not hate people that disagree with you.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanZombie
Thread title is misleading. I thought this would be a rational forum, not a liberal propaganda thread.

Write a rant about my rant then then?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
Omg shut up about isis.. even talking about it or giving it any form of thought is fueling their machine of chaos by design.

So sick of hearing about it. Seeing recent/new threads with "ISIS" in the titles.

/facepalms

Sorry about holding that gun to your head and making you click the title.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
So basically if somebody doesn't buy into your idea of "enlightenment" then they're just ignorant and hate "whatever."

Can't possibly be that they disagree with you, or consider their own line of thought enlightened and yours to be ignorant. Nope.

You're enlightened and they're ignorant hatemongers.

Very benevolent of you to not hate people that disagree with you.

You're quite off point on this one.

I have no problem with different opinions, in fact I welcome them.

My rant was about when people disagree with me and accuse me of supporting something that I do not as a form of deflection because they feel cornered.

Or did you miss that part?

Kind of hard to miss...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

You don't post in a very mature manner for someone so concerned about how others post. Maybe you could clean up your own act and set an example for others. I am not buying in to your hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I admit that I've been rather rude at times lately but your accusation of my post being immature is your misguided, biased opinion most likely due to past interactions.

You call me names and I'm immature?

edit on 27-6-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanZombie

So I'm looking for liberal propaganda here and I'm not seeing it.

Maybe you'd care to expand on what it is you had managed to read up to the point of your post that you claim to be such?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I didn't call you any names. I said you post in an immature way.

ETA: I have no idea who you are. I am just going off your posts in this thread.
edit on 2015/6/27 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I support beheading at any age, as long as the person REALLY deserves it

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
*sigh*

Yet another pro-ISIS thread.

I get so tired of these.

(this is coming from someone who's been called racist, stupid, ignorant, uneducated, homophobic, bible-thumper. . . in just 3 days.)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
*sigh*

Yet another pro-ISIS thread.

I get so tired of these.

(this is coming from someone who's been called racist, stupid, ignorant, uneducated, homophobic, bible-thumper. . . in just 3 days.)

It took you three days?

Let me add one - SLACKER!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join