It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is fantastic news!!!! Today is a historical day!!!

I am all for the right to marry. It should never have been and issue. However I do agree that it should stay on a civil/state level.
I am not religious but I agree it shouldn't be impossed on thier beliefs. I have said this since day one.

I can remove my signiture now.

edit on 6 26 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: beezzer

Forgive them? Did they apologize or something?

Nope, though I don't think Jesus waited for an apology before he forgave.
I'm not even a Christian, and that made me pause. Well said, sir.

I'll be the first. I forgive them.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

When you start selectively enforcing those freedoms they lose all meaning .

So should we destroy the Constitution? All of our freedoms are meaningless seeing how that enforces all our freedoms.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I applaud the courts protection of minorities that is a good thing, the way this is going; Christians will need that same protection very soon.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm going to ignore it. Today is a monumental day for equality!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It's nice to see the left still remembers how to smear their political enemies by framing the differences between them and everyone else so deceptively. As if they're the only people in politics who would do this.

Yeah. They might be all for gay marriage but they're also all for fining people who don't buy health insurance. And they have been firm on that ever since Obama lied about it and then "changed his mind" after he got elected. They've been through two court battles to protect the government's right to order people to live the way it thinks they should. And they have the nerve to pretend this gay issue is about freedom?

Make no mistakes people. The left does not care about your rights. It cares about winning and power and it's agenda. You'll only get what they deem you worthy of. If you are doing anything the left doesn't want you to do they will turn on you no matter how many times you voted for them. As long as they still have enough votes to make your vote irrelevant they'll stab you in the back the first time it's convenient.
edit on 26-6-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
I applaud the courts protection of minorities that is a good thing, the way this is going Christians will need that same protection very soon.

If you had been paying attention in history class, Christians have had that protection since the country has founded. Usually at the detriment of other religions and groups of people, too.

In fact, the whole reason the Supreme Court had to rule on this case to BEGIN with is because of Christian protections in the law.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Asking for two much? Nope, I'm actually in your camp here to a degree. I believe in the high road, but your request is unrealistic, and honestly, it wasn't our side that started it.

This is clearly not right place to pop in and start preaching damnation at people with bible verses. Bad form started on the other side of this first.

So we have sore losers, and bad winners here. Both sides are demonstrating some bad form here, but emotions are high on both sides, so we really can't expect otherwise.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
It's nice to see the left still remembers how to smear their political enemies by framing the differences between them and everyone else so deceptively. As if they're the only people in politics who would do this.

Yeah. They might be all for gay marriage but they're also all for fining people who don't buy health insurance. And they have been firm on that ever since Obama lied about it and then "changed his mind" after he got elected. They've been through two court battles to protect the government's right to order people to live the way it thinks they should. And they have the nerve to pretend this gay issue is about freedom?
I'm registered Democrat. I'm all for Gay Marriage. I don't agree with most of Obamacare.

Wait, wait. let me get my umbrella. I don't want to get bits of brain on me when that blows your mind.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You're asking (yet again) for people to shut-up when confronted with hateful speech, you're asking everyone that is pro equality to just ignore and forgive to be tolerant of what they (specifically Christians) say because gay marriage is legal now?

Why do I have to shut up and let assholes say whatever they want? Why do you continuously ask this of people? why do you value their freedom of speech over ours?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
So let's get this straight. Roberts upheld the ACA saying that it was not the job of the court to contradict the votes of the people in one case but then overturns laws voted for by the people in this case?

The ACA doesn't deny rights to a segment of the populace, while protecting rights of a "preferred" group.

The 14th amendment doesn't allow the majority of people in a state to deny the rights they enjoy to a minority.

It's really pretty simple.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Finally, one step forwards.. i'm so happy i don't even know what to type

today we all celebrate this step towards equality and love... now there are many more steps... the states that allow discrimination, adoption rights etc

Love conquers hate!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Greathouse

I'm confused as to what this has to do with Islam at all... This country isn't under Sharia Law and it isn't illegal to draw a picture of Mohammad.

I'm not nearly as confused about Islam as I am about the conflicting rationalizations of protest movements .

If someone want to do anything purposefully that is deemed offensive against Islam ( drawl a picture ) it is protested by people throughout this country . And it is vilified by being called offensive to Muslims !

Perhaps you'd like to point out where it is written that the pro-gay rights crowd is EXACTLY the same as the anti-Islamophobia crowd.

Yet a minority chooses to do something purposeful against Muslim beliefs ( Homosexual marriage ) And it is good because it wins political correctness's and favor ?

I'm sorry this is a double standard !!!

It's not a double standard. You just don't understand that people can defend a group of people from being ridiculed and not implicitly support the actions of that religion.

It's not that I disapprove of gay marriage it is that I disapprove of the idealistic protesters/ mainstream media and government officials that sponsor such a hypocritical thoughts in the selection of which of our rights are right and wrong .

I blame your lack of understanding of the issues at hand.

If you look at my first two comparisons they seem to have absolutely nothing to do with the rights ? The only concern I see on these two issues is" what is the political correct choice" ?

Let's see... One issue was JUST ruled on by the Supreme Court and the other issue is some random SJW issue about Islam that has NOTHING to do with the government. Yeah TOTALLY comparable situations...

I don't even have to cut this up to match your reply it only takes one response .

Freedoms are called freedoms for a reason . When you start selectively enforcing those freedoms they lose all meaning .

Which freedoms are being selectively enforced exactly? Your islam example has nothing to do with the government, no one's freedom is being infringed there. You are just talking out your ass because you are bitter about this Supreme Court decision.

I already stated clearly that I approve of the Supreme Court's decision . You are both completely wrong in your opinion of my stance and using hyperbole in your comparisons . Actually I support all rights I'm not selective like some people are as per the examples I've given.

If homosexuals want to get married they have every right to and I completely agree with that decision .

If someone wants to hold a Mohamed drawing contest they have every right to . Now I don't agree with that stance but that's the funny thing about rights .

Idealistic protesters led by the mainstream media and government officials. For some reason have found a way to attack one right using the excuse it is a offensive to some people but approve another right even though it is offensive to the same people in addition of many others .

This is all due to political correctness people are misled by it and do what they feel is right instead of what is right .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

What's kinda even funnier, is that meddling in people's lives in general, is a liberal idea. Conservatives historically wanted to be left alone and as long as people weren't doing anything to hurt other people, let them do what they want.

Sometime in the 1980's, most conservatives turned into left wing liberals on social issues and tried to claim the opposite.

True conservatives would applaud this decision, as it levels the playing field. It's also going to help the economy, considering the number of marriages that are about to take place. Those are very popular conservative themes, liberty, fairness and making money.

Hilarious.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

You're asking (yet again) for people to shut-up when confronted with hateful speech, you're asking everyone that is pro equality to just ignore and forgive to be tolerant of what they (specifically Christians) say because gay marriage is legal now?

Why do I have to shut up and let assholes say whatever they want? Why do you continuously ask this of people? why do you value their freedom of speech over ours?

You don't have to, and I will silence myself from offering my own opinion on the subject.

It's a great day for equal rights.

Just trying to temper the hate and rhetoric that I know will be coming.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I already stated clearly that I approve of the Supreme Court's decision . You are both completely wrong in your opinion of my stance and using hyperbole in your comparisons . Actually I support all rights I'm not selective like some people are as per the examples I've given.

If homosexuals want to get married they have every right to and I completely agree with that decision .

If someone wants to hold a Mohamed drawing contest they have every right to . Now I don't agree with that stance but that's the funny thing about rights .

Except I'm trying to explain to you that we DO have that right. It HASN'T been infringed. You may not like it that a bunch of other people are exercising their 1st Amendment right to complain about how other people are using their 1st Amendment right, but everything I just said is 100% guaranteed by the US Constitution and working as intended.

YES, hypocrites exist. They exist on the right too. You aren't shining a light anywhere that isn't being shown already with your weak comparisons, and this certainly doesn't warrant being discussed in this topic.

Idealistic protesters led by the mainstream media and government officials. For some reason have found a way to attack one right using the excuse it is a offensive to some people but approve another right even though it is offensive to the same people in addition of many others .

This is all due to political correctness people are misled by it and do what they feel is right instead of what is right .

This is all due to you bringing up an offtopic beef you have with an irrelevant topic in a topic that should be celebratory in nature. Go start a thread on it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It's official !!!

The Supreme Court says same sex marriage is protected by the 14th Amendment.

State bans are now illegal.

The decision was just handed down.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court has declared that same-sex couples have a right to marry anywhere in the United States.

Gay and lesbian couples already can marry in 36 states and the District of Columbia. The court's ruling on Friday means the remaining 14 states, in the South and Midwest, will have to stop enforcing their bans on same-sex marriage.

6/26/15 - Obergefell v. Hodges

Finally, i have been saying this for years!

link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Finally, one step forwards.. i'm so happy i don't even know what to type

today we all celebrate this step towards equality and love... now there are many more steps... the states that allow discrimination, adoption rights etc

Love conquers hate!!!

Absolutely. We're not done yet. But this is a big first step that should really help lead the way to the other steps.

link   

Perhaps it's a lot to ask. But wouldn't it be something if instead of rubbing it in their faces, that we quietly celebrate our newfound equality without disparaging the groups who oppossed it? Is it not enough to win, do we have to be sore winners on top of it?

Says the person who mocked a sourpuss earlier, but my point stands. Defend yourself if attacked, but don't go on the offensive because we have a victory today.

link   

No one tried to use the government to stop people from drawing anything. It literally just stopped being illegal in several states for gay people to get married.

As usual you are putting words in someone's mouth. I never said anyone tried to use the government which they probably have I just don't feel like looking at the moment to prove this point .

I said the protesters were led by the US government and mainstream media . Go back and read all of my post the keyword is protesters .

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join