It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Nope, though I don't think Jesus waited for an apology before he forgave.

Really? You mean he just forgives us all even if we don't ask? Wouldn't that mean we're all "saved" and going to heaven? I don't think so, beez. With all due respect, you gotta ask for forgiveness (from Jesus) before he forgives your sins.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no forgiveness necessary. The fight against marriage equality has never hurt me in the least. It's just people with opinions. I'm too happy to let any of it bother me now.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
I applaud the courts protection of minorities that is a good thing, the way this is going Christians will need that same protection very soon.

If you had been paying attention in history class, Christians have had that protection since the country has founded. Usually at the detriment of other religions and groups of people, too.

In fact, the whole reason the Supreme Court had to rule on this case to BEGIN with is because of Christian protections in the law.

It's because we can't seem to have a balanced civilization, it's either to strict to those that want to do what they want, which is fine by me everybody has free will. Live and let live. OR a civilization that says you must accept these lifestyles and like them or your a bigot. The pendulum has always been too far one way or another.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

What's kinda even funnier, is that meddling in people's lives in general, is a liberal idea. Conservatives historically wanted to be left alone and as long as people weren't doing anything to hurt other people, let them do what they want.

Sometime in the 1980's, most conservatives turned into left wing liberals on social issues and tried to claim the opposite.

True conservatives would applaud this decision, as it levels the playing field. It's also going to help the economy, considering the number of marriages that are about to take place. Those are very popular conservative themes, liberty, fairness and making money.

Hilarious.

~Tenth

I think perhaps you should look up the definition of classical liberalism which had been the definition until recently.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Oh I know that also follows the classic libertarian mantra as well. It's not just a pigeon hole category. Conservatism in general was born out of those ideals the way I see it.

Dunno how it got all twisted, but I guess media folk are good like that.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Except I'm trying to explain to you that we DO have that right. It HASN'T been infringed.

Well if you would've read my post there is absolutely no reason to attempt to explain that to me. I never said the rights were being infringed upon .

The whole premise of my statement from the beginning is that freedom of speech is being used hypocritically by protesters .
edit on 26-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: beezzer
Nope, though I don't think Jesus waited for an apology before he forgave.

Really? You mean he just forgives us all even if we don't ask? Wouldn't that mean we're all "saved" and going to heaven? I don't think so, beez. With all due respect, you gotta ask for forgiveness (from Jesus) before he forgives your sins.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no forgiveness necessary. The fight against marriage equality has never hurt me in the least. It's just people with opinions. I'm too happy to let any of it bother me now.
I believe he was more referring to the people who crucified Jesus, and not the classical idea of forgiving sins through Jesus.

That whole "Forgive them father, they know not what they do" bit.

link   
a reply to: Greathouse

What you are doing is stating that people who said that the prophet drawing cartoon contests were stupid and offensive, tried to stop these events from happening. No one tried to stop them from happening.

You're saying we're being selective about what rights we support... it is you selectively assigning to us what rights we support instead of actually reading anything we say.

link   
a reply to: xuenchen
Well, congratulations to Democrats. They finally managed to beat a concept that they themselves helped propel in the 90s with a heavily bipartisan bill called DOMA. At least we've relearned the nature of political flip-flop. Harry Reid, Joe Biden, Bill Clinton, and so on and so forth...

Have fun America. Let's see how long before churches get the pressure to conduct same sex marriage.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Exactly, and if we stand together and unify love, hopefully these other steps become easier

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Nothing is perfect buddy, but we are working to get there. Decisions like the OP are a HUGE step in the right direction.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: Greathouse

When you start selectively enforcing those freedoms they lose all meaning .

So should we destroy the Constitution? All of our freedoms are meaningless seeing how that enforces all our freedoms.

You are a riot today !!!!

Where did I say we should destroy the constitution you made that up ?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: xuenchen
Well, congratulations to Democrats. They finally managed to beat a concept that they themselves helped propel in the 90s with a heavily bipartisan bill called DOMA. At least we've relearned the nature of political flip-flop. Harry Reid, Joe Biden, Bill Clinton, and so on and so forth...

Have fun America. Let's see how long before churches get the pressure to conduct same sex marriage.

Churches are not public accommodations. The government cannot force churches to conduct marriage ceremonies. Besides, who would want have a ceremony officiated by an unwilling participant?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

This is not a left versus right thing that you can group it in, this is about Civil Rights that both parties have suppressed at one time or another, but love and equality have no political party

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The Right Wing is making some dire predictions as expected, such as imprisoning preachers....and civil war....

www.rightwingwatch.org...
edit on 26-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Except I'm trying to explain to you that we DO have that right. It HASN'T been infringed.

Well if you would've read my post there is absolutely no reason to tempt to explain that to me. I never said the rights were being infringed upon .

The whole premise of my statement from the beginning is that freedom of speech is being used hypocritically by protesters .

Fine. It's not about infringing rights. It's about hypocrisy. Good. Go start a thread on it instead of dragging this sore spot of yours into this thread. I think the connection you are making is tenuous at best, but I'd rather not keep discussing Islam in a topic on Gay Marriage.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I am not Christian, I am gay. I forgive the perpetrators of comments I feel are vile and offensive towards me.

I love you and wish you happiness.

Thank you for listening.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
The Right Wing is making some dire predictions as expected, such as imprisoning preachers....and civil war....

www.rightwingwatch.org...

Only the right ever publicly talks about defying the government when rulings don't go their way...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I didn't get the impression that we were being asked to not be sore winners and I think my impression is correct that were asked to ignore and forgive Christians that disagree with the ruling.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Congratulations to our American LGBT friends and their allies for a great victory today.

So amusing watching these die hard's in this thread still trying to use their beliefs to dampen your parade! Go and fly your Rainbow flags (whilst you still can) as high and proud as you can!!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: luthier

Oh I know that also follows the classic libertarian mantra as well. It's not just a pigeon hole category. Conservatism in general was born out of those ideals the way I see it.

Dunno how it got all twisted, but I guess media folk are good like that.

~Tenth

I agree its just after the christian right became a powerhouse to combat JFK those values became "conservative" politically. Now libertarians are the classical liberals in a lot of ways.

Marriage equality is obviously the only constitutional outcome. The "conservative" party is against that by actual mission platform.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join