It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters halt construction of Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) atop Mauna Kea, Hawaii

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Right now all we can do is to protest, protest to be heard, protest to hopefully evoke change. If it wasn't for Walter Ritte Kahoolawe would still be getting bombed and being used for war practices, protesting accomplished this.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

It may not halt construction in the long run but we have made some accomplishments. TMT will be the last telescope constructed on land and older telescopes will be decommissioned.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Thank you for your support!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Please keep in mind that it's not only for religious purposes. There are undisturbed artifacts, they are digging about 100ft into the mountain to hold their waste products which is said to disturb our natural water supply, and some hawaiians feel that this is another example like the overthrew of how we are being treated by taking the land away from the people.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Fairytales? Maybe you should educate yourself on Hawaiian history, culture, and practices before you express ignorant opinions.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: VariableConstant
a reply to: seagull

My understanding is that Hawaiians believe that the mountain is the home or meeting place of the sky mother and sky father of their religion. Not being Hawaiian myself, it is entirely possible that I do not have the story correct. However, I can say that the mountain is indeed held sacred by many.

All I see is religion standing in the way of progress. So many misplaced beliefs standing in the way of progress. Look around........Most places are or were sacred to someone at some point in time.
edit on 25-6-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Thank you for your support. Hawaiians are the minority, we make up about .02 of the total population in America. We will try to continue to fight for what we have been fighting for for the past 122 years.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

If all you see is religion then you need to do more researching into Hawaiian history, culture, and practices.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Nothing is sacred to these monsters, and nothing has really changed much since the days of Indian Removal. They are now finishing the cultural annihilation started five hundred years ago with lawsuits instead of bullets.

Oh wait, but this is in the name of science, so it's ok.

Quoted for truth. (Bolded, mine.)

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
And as long as its for the betterment of mankind and its for peaceful purposes then yes, the needs of the many (the scientific community and the whole earth) outweigh the needs of the few.

If "the needs of the many" actually outweighed "the needs of the few", then it is CLEAR that food and clean drinking water would be of the utmost priority in this world. Pretty sure the "whole earth" would appreciate that instead.

I see this so many times "Go Science!" "Yay Nasa!" "Look at what we did!!" - whenever money (the people's hard earned tax money at that) is funded to science, space programs, wars and the like. So very much money, yet people still hunger and thirst. Rainforests are destroyed. Nothing is sacred anymore, advancement for advancement's sake, with no respect for the people and the land. Priorities.

Arrogance at its finest, and business as usual, where developments and money are God, the whole world over. One day our landscapes will have none of their former beauty at all, and the history will be all but forgotten.

originally posted by: TrueBrit
There is little point however, in arriving in the future, if all that is left of us by the time we do so, is a spiritually vacant version of our species.
I concur.

originally posted by: ckhk3
Right now all we can do is to protest, protest to be heard, protest to hopefully evoke change. If it wasn't for Walter Ritte Kahoolawe would still be getting bombed and being used for war practices, protesting accomplished this.

My heart is with you and the people of Hawaii, as you stand for your beliefs and the sacredness of your land. May your voices ring loud and strong. Blessings.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The protesters time would be far better spent protesting the polluted beaches on Maui. Last time I was there I nearly died from blood poisoning contracted while swimming around Kaanapali.

After talking to some locals who "stay away from the beach because its polluted", I did some looking and it turns out that Hawaiians pump their untreated sewage deep into the ground and it now has seeped through the porous rock, into the ocean. The stench is nauseating for miles around the plant. A lot of the coral has died and they also let poachers run amok so there is hardly any tropical fish left.

Shame on the residents for letting the developers get away with this.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NOrrTH

Please provide your source when you state hawaiians are pumping their sewage into the ground. Where is this happening, who is doing this, private property or that owned by the state or federal government? Sewage is controlled by the state of Hawaii and city and county of Maui. The death of coral isn't only caused by sewage. Please also define your term of local and poacher.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MoonBlossom

Mahalo for your support!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
before Hawaii became the huge tourist island that it is today they didnt have the problems that come with high tourism numbers traffic
many places today that are overpopulated have similar issues, many are more dangerous than the ones we see today around hawaiian islands and such

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Religion trying to stop the progress off science..same old story.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Okay, I'm losing track of victimhood in Hawaii.

Is it the aborigines who died out due to genocide from the Polynesians?

Or the other groups who were murdered under genocide from Kamehameha when he conquered the other islands and murdered all opposing peoples?

It's hard to keep track of.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3

Please provide your source when you state hawaiians are pumping their sewage into the ground. Where is this happening, who is doing this, private property or that owned by the state or federal government? Sewage is controlled by the state of Hawaii and city and county of Maui. The death of coral isn't only caused by sewage. Please also define your term of local and poacher.

Unless you've been living under a rock, Its not a secret (except for the number of people hospitalized for waterborne illness).

Google Maui pollution or MRSA Maui

www.google.ca...=maui+beach+pollution

The Univesity of Hawaii has been monitoring the situation for a long time. Its been in all the papers.

How bout this one?

www.google.ca...=maui%20sewage%20treatment%20plant

I'm not making this stuff up or exaggerating. I saw a 1 hour documentary about how much poachers have devastated the tropical fish population. I've been going to the islands since the mid 70's and the difference is truly heart breaking.

edit on 25-6-2015 by NOrrTH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I was unable to view both of your links. I did Google MRSA on Maui and yes we do have MRSA, if your worried about that then don't swim anywhere or go anywhere because it's in the waters at the beach, the rivers in the mountain, locker rooms, bathrooms, it's everywhere and on most islands; this isn't something new. I don't see any evidence of people illegally pumping sewage, or that this causes MRSA. Just because you visit here doesn't mean you know the facts about us or understand what is happening. Who are these poachers?? Anyways, your off topic.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

It's when America overthrew the Kingdom of Hawaii and illegally seized lands.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3

According to the Hawaiian history, Kamehameha was pretty brutal when he joined all the islands under one ruler. The overthrow wasn't violent.
edit on 6/25/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

What is this religion you speak of?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join