It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#TakeDownTheFlag: Jesse Ventura on the Charleston Massacre, an Act of Domestic Terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hello all! Today I join the #TakeDownTheFlag movement. Watch as I sound off on the state of racism in America after 21-year old Dylan Roof allegedly shoots and kills nine at a Charleston church in order to “start a race war.”

Do you think it’s time for America to stop celebrating racist propaganda and retire the Confederate flag once and for all? Let me know your thoughts.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't recall people being so opposed to it until the shootings at Charleston. As to having it fly over a government building, not such a good idea. BUT I feel these major retailers stopping to sell items with the flag design on them is more of a "jumping on the bandwagon" type of response.
It's kind of like eBay and Kmart will not be outdone publicity wise, by Walmart.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: maybee
I don't recall people being so opposed to it until the shootings at Charleston. As to having it fly over a government building, not such a good idea. BUT I feel these major retailers stopping to sell items with the flag design on them is more of a "jumping on the bandwagon" type of response.
It's kind of like eBay and Kmart will not be outdone publicity wise, by Walmart.

This issue has popped up off and on in Charleston for YEARS now. Here is when the issue popped up in 2013

Confederate flag controversy and NAACP boycott resurface amid talk of football bowl game in Charleston

There was also a bill passed in 2000 to remove the flag from the actual dome of the capitol building
Link to Bill

But there is also the fact that this flag was raised 50 years ago likely for the very PURPOSE of being racially controversial.
Here’s Why the Confederate Flag Is Still Flying in South Carolina

Just because you don't remember all the other times this issue has appeared in the news, doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue before.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

NO its a flag and thats all.

IF you are saying you support this action to remove this flag then Jesse you are just like the people you claim to fight against. You all change eventually and bow down to the powers that be.

When people stop acting like damn babies and crying over everything and realizing objects, like the flag that have been around for a long time are NOT the problem but "the US PEOPLE" are the problem then there might be progress one day.

Racism has been a part of your country and will be a part of it forever. We can't force people NOT to dislike other races just because its not PC. I don't like cabbage, you going to one day force me to like it.

Anthropology shows us that things we do not like through sight and smell are actually defensive mechanism in place to self preserve.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Frankly it's gotten a bit ridiculous, there are dozens and dozens of reasons for taking pride in Southern Heritage. That flag just isnt one of em...

Mark Twain or Faulkner, hell even Lynyrd Skynyrd is more widely respected than that flag and they use that flag on their album covers.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Good on you Jesse take down that racist flag and lets take down racists and racism with it!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Post 1945 the swastika was banned from display in Germany. Same rule should have applied to the Confederate flag after your Civil War.

Both were symbols of odious ideologies.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The Confederate Flag didnt go out of its way to buy a guy and head down to the church.
Roof killed those people, not the flag.

I bet the kid had no idea what the flag even really means.

The true meaning of the flag is Battle flag of North Virginia
The 13 stars represent the thirteen original united colonies from which the country began.
The X made from the blue bands lay on top of the stars representing that the southern states no longer wanted to be part of the union with the northern states.

Layman's terms the flag means - Cross us out of your union!

There is no slavery, white supremacy nor hatred meant to be portrayed in this flag.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
In my country the Confederate flag is associated with Colonel Sanders,fried chicken,the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard tv show and rednecks, its a bit like the British flag ,whatever it used to stand for when it had subjegated the most part of the planet it doesn't anymore now.More telling was the Rhodesian flag and old South African flags this shooter had on his jacket those 2 flags will always represent racism.There are 8 dead people here including a purple heart recipient Vietnam veteran whose memory would be far better served with debate on the causes and cures for this societal illness rather than point scoring and mental gymnastics over a stupid flag.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

What do you think about the Gay Pride flag that is being discussed as well? Should it be removed from government buildings in your opinion?

I think both should be removed, but that's just me!

I don't think they hurt anything or anyone, but the state flags should be the only thing being flown at government buildings, nothing more, nothing less...If people want to fly any type of flag they would like, so be it...But on government buildings, let's leave that to the state flags only...

It is being discussed here as well:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/24/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
How about you put your time and effort into combating actual racism instead of worrying about a stupid flag?

This is what's wrong with America. Nobody wants to fix the actual problems, they just want to do things SYMBOLICALLY because it's so much easier.

"I'm helping cure cancer by wearing a pink shirt!"

"I'm supporting the troops by putting a magnet in the shape of a ribbon on my car!"

"I'm fighting police brutality by saying stuff on Twitter with trendy hashtags!"

People don't want to actually DO something, they want to feel like they're somehow helping the problems. It's all about them and the recognition they get for "doing something good."

Please tell me what part of the real problem will be addressed by "taking down the flag"...

Jesse Ventura has been the anti-media voice at times but now he's just dancing to the same tune.
edit on 6/24/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
There's discussion going around the net, images and audio that the federal government told these major retailers(WMart, Amazon, etc) to stop selling these flags. Originally people were touting that it was a choice. It is not because of government instruction. Is this not far reaching for the government? I believe that should be addressed here as well especially before a deciding factor of whose side to be on with this issue. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Wow!
I never thought Jesse could be so stupid about the history of the confederate flag.

Pretty sad that Jesse Ventura got suckered in by the race baiting, he's not much of a conspiracy theorist as I thought.

edit on 24-6-2015 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I've cleared off a nice spot in my lawn for the confederate flag. Think I'll bump some 2pac real loud after it's hung. A flag's a flag. Skin color is skin color. The only reason why any of this is a racist issue is because a huge number of sensitive emotional idiots need something to hate. If this country doesn't want any more shooters, perhaps parents should take better care of their kids. They should start by turning off The News.

I've come to the conclusion that most polls taken are usually taken by idiots that are dumb enough to take the polls in the first place, as most Americans don't have time to argue about dumb little details no one cares about. I'd venture a guess that this new racism trend is propagated by a small group of people that have the power to say stupid # on TV, and get enough emotional cripples to rally to take down something as meaningless as a flag, which has zero power other than what symbols people paint it.

If the world could just rid itself of power structures it'd be a better place over night. Average Iraqies don't hate Americans, Iranians don't hate Americans as average Americans don't hate Iranians. If the social brainwashing hadn't taken hold in the first place, skin color wouldn't matter. Most kids wouldn't even know the word communism or racism had they not learnt what it meant in school, without knowledge or an understanding that someone was hated because of their skin color, no one could continue the trend. How many five-year old kids do you know that wouldn't share a ball with another child of different race just because of their race or skin color? NONE!

In reality it's pathetic, and I've an intense instinct that all these people rallying to take down the flag are complete morons. Our country is in debt, people are dying because of a corrupt medical system, and a #ING FLAG is the flavor of the day. There's a good reason no real issues ever catch fire, ever!

In a democracy the people get the government they deserve. And we got it, baby. We certainly got it, along with a majority that probably shouldn't be allowed to spew their idiocy in public, those same morons continue to vote for people like Obama, Hillary and Bush. You know, Real Leaders.

Getdafukouttaeh.
edit on 25-6-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
California successfully bans the Confederate Flag thank god!

thegrio.com...
SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation prohibiting California state government agencies from selling or display items displaying the Confederate flag.

Brown's office on Thursday announced signing AB2444. It was introduced by Democratic Assemblyman Isadore Hall of Compton after his mother saw replica Confederate cash sold at the Capitol gift shop.

Hall, who is black, says the state should not promote a symbol of racism that is meant to intimidate. The gift shop no longer carries the item.

www.mercurynews.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: PheonixReborn
Post 1945 the swastika was banned from display in Germany. Same rule should have applied to the Confederate flag after your Civil War.

Both were symbols of odious ideologies.

That couldn't have happened because the Confederate Flag was mostly all but forgotten after the Civil War. Heck, it wasn't even the official Confederate Flag. It was just a battle flag similar to the "Don't Tread on Me" flag from Revolutionary times. It wasn't until the 1950's and 1960's was that flag resurrected, and it was resurrected to protest civil rights and the Civil Rights Act.
edit on 25-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

thegrio.com...
SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation prohibiting California state government agencies from selling or display items displaying the Confederate flag.

Brown's office on Thursday announced signing AB2444. It was introduced by Democratic Assemblyman Isadore Hall of Compton after his mother saw replica Confederate cash sold at the Capitol gift shop.

Hall, who is black, says the state should not promote a symbol of racism that is meant to intimidate. The gift shop no longer carries the item.

www.mercurynews.com...

Uh, no... read the exact text you posted:

"...legislation prohibiting California state government agencies from selling or display items displaying the Confederate flag."

How many state government agencies in CA were selling or displaying the Confederate flag before now? The Capitol gift shop had replica Confederate cash? I'm sure that was inspiring a whole lot of racism...

I'm glad you're so excited about CA doing something completely pointless, but it's hardly "successfully banning the flag."
edit on 6/25/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The gay pride flag is on government buildings now, and my view is this: no flags except the flag of the United States of America or the state flag should be allowed on any buildings.

They also bring a Christmas tree to the White House and I’m an atheist. If they want a Christmas tree at the White House, I don’t give care.

The point of the matter is government shouldn’t get involved. If they do it for just a day, no big deal, but I’m talking about having flags up permanently. The only flags that should be allowed up permanently on government buildings are the United States flag and the state flag. And that’s it.

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

What do you think about the Gay Pride flag that is being discussed as well? Should it be removed from government buildings in your opinion?

I don't think they hurt anything or anyone, but the state flags should be the only thing being flown at government buildings, nothing more, nothing less...If people want to fly any type of flag they would like, so be it...But on government buildings, let's leave that to the state flags only...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
The gay pride flag is on government buildings now, and my view is this: no flags except the flag of the United States of America or the state flag should be allowed on any buildings.

They also bring a Christmas tree to the White House and I’m an atheist. If they want a Christmas tree at the White House, I don’t give care.

The point of the matter is government shouldn’t get involved. If they do it for just a day, no big deal, but I’m talking about having flags up permanently. The only flags that should be allowed up permanently on government buildings are the United States flag and the state flag. And that’s it.

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

I don't think anyone should get worked up about any flag, really.

Its just a bit of cloth.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

thegrio.com...

www.mercurynews.com...

Uh, no... read the exact text you posted:

"...legislation prohibiting California state government agencies from selling or display items displaying the Confederate flag."

How many state government agencies in CA were selling or displaying the Confederate flag before now? The Capitol gift shop had replica Confederate cash? I'm sure that was inspiring a whole lot of racism...

I'm glad you're so excited about CA doing something completely pointless, but it's hardly "successfully banning the flag."

Every journey begins with but a single step, good on you Cali good on you!

top topics

join