It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment 5.5%?? Really!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
5-6% unemployment in the US? So am I just #ing cursed or what?

I am so pissed after being turned down for the umpteenth time to a DEAD END job. And he didn't even call me back after the interview like promised. I was the only person dressed in business casual too while everyone else wore street clothes.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter - disqualified (true story, probably more than just the 1 time it was brought up). I have 2 degrees - disqualified (when I tried to be a freaking BAG BOY). Nobody will hire me, in or out of my field of scholarly expertise. Once I applied to be a slave, er, I mean unpaid intern in my field and got denied for some bull# reason. Probably because there weren't enough positions open and the staff there wanted people they personally knew, which is what did happen.

I have done everything and learned everything possible as an independent man, after sifting through scam after scam online. I have tried drop-shipping between eBay, Amazon and CL, offered services on Fiverr, online tutoring, transcriptionist work.... I even made and learned a publishing company by myself. All of these roads temporarily alleviated the pressure, but nothing long-standing or reliable. I make a monthly income from the publishing business but barely enough to cover utmost basics. The problem is I just have no money to work with to start anything. I grew from poor and remain poor. To be anything but modest here, I am a genius imo who can handle ANY task thrown at me. Why can't I get a god damn job in this god damn state (Arkasnas)? There is not # here and yes, I apply to at least 5 places a day...for months now and have been trying for years off an on. My family is being crushed under debt and I can't do anything to help the situation. I AM SO ANNOYED AND FEELING HELPLESS. SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A JOB.
edit on 6/23/2015 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hey man I understand the struggle, I love over in California and when I was looking for a job it took me nearly a year to secure a job. The unemployment rate that is being shared by our government isn't the actual unemployment rate, the real rate is about double that at 10.8%. Here is a link to an article that explains it all. I know it's hard not to be discouraged, but just keep on truckin', you'll land that job eventually. useconomy.about.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLegend

I feel you, potatohead. I couldnt even get a call back from a gas station down the street. My girlfriend has been looking for something else as well, former corporate now special education, her jobseeker thing said she was qualified to be a saw operator in the smoked meats division of some packing plant.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
That figure is govt generated BS.

In reality, it a lot closer to 20%. The jobs that are available are working at fast food restaurants and Walmart/Target stores, selling faux food and made in China merchandise to people that are also struggling to survive.

According to the govt, there isn't any inflation either.

It sure seems like the US is done.

PS: If it wasn't illegal, I would tell you to become a black market entrepreneur. Underselling others by cutting out the government 'middleman' is a way to make some money.
edit on b000000302015-06-23T08:40:21-05:0008America/ChicagoTue, 23 Jun 2015 08:40:21 -0500800000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I don't know you, and we have never to my knowledge interacted, but I am sorry for you. I am also sorry for the many many people in the same position as you. It is sad. But, what scares me the most is that I don't really see a light at the end of a tunnel. I hope and pray this is not our new normal.

Are you willing or able to relocate? I've heard that online and other privately owned schools may be hiring. Admissions and professors. It seems when the economy and job prospects are low, there is a spike in folks seeking education, whether for improving their skills, or simply buying time in hopes of riding out the storm.

Some of these educational instutions can be questionable, but definitely some are better than others. And I know they pay at least a living wage, most offer decent bennifits.

I am speaking from experience here, not speculation.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
How about applying for a grant of some kind to start your own business?

Or, as a "genius", go for the MacArther Grant.
That's a doozy that I've contemplated myself. (Fantasy wise)
Edit: Dismiss this, I've just read that it's not done via application, how elitest of them.

Re: unemployment rates...

I'd go further than others and say it's closer to 35%...
Same here in the UK as well...

Government sanctioned statistics are the political equivalent of snake oil...

But yeah, look into grants.
edit on 23-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

It depends on how the government determine their definition of "unemployment". If you consider anyone who makes less than 15 k a year as unemployed or underemployed that number would be above 30% if not close to 40%.
edit on 23-6-2015 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The Unemployment Rate for April 2015 is 23.0%

They changed the way they "measure" unemployment back in the 90's in order to artificially reduce the numbers once foreign outsourcing began to take a toll.

www.shadowstats.com...

Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated long-term discouraged workers, who were defined out of official existence in 1994. That estimate is added to the BLS estimate of U-6 unemployment, which includes short-term discouraged workers.

edit on 23-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Advice?

Typing is a requirement / must have.

If so, go get your CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate).

You can immediately start a Network Operations job for a telco or cable company with starting pay in the mid 30's to mid 40's depending on area. Within a couple of years you can advance, get your CCNP and easily make 60's or more.

Forget college unless you are going for a profession (doctor, nurse, optometrist, accountant, pharmacist, etc.)

You can have your CCENT and CCNA within 4 months.
edit on 23-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
If so, go get your CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate).

Spot on...The possibilities by going this route are essentially endless.

You don't need anything other than 1 specific book and you can pass your CCENT. As you start to branch out from there it's possible to pass a CCNA or CCNP track with just reading but hands on or experience helps. Once you get to the highest common level , CCIE, you can pretty much count on a minimum 6 figure salary regardless of where you are.

Whatever excites you within IT and in the confines of the Cisco ecosystem though what you gain is really applicable anywhere. Security, Route/Switch, Data Center , Wireless, Design or in my case Collaboration.

Like anything in life you aren't going to get paid for being a genius , you aren't going to get paid for working smarter vs harder but you are going to get paid for working smart and hard. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs and other shows closed out Cisco Live 2015 two weeks ago with that message and it really made sense.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Thanks all for the replies. I've not posted on this site in like a year but this just rustled my jimmies so much I had to express it somewhere.

a reply to: infolurker
a reply to: opethPA

This is the first time I'm hearing of CCNA or Cisco. I like the idea of working from anywhere at anytime. I have some IT experience with a MIS degree.

I'll look into it. Any specific sites or literature you would advise I start at first?
edit on 6/24/2015 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

You could start with this:

Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide (pdf)

On-topic, good luck with getting to where you want to be. As much as 'luck' is a fuzzy concept, it'll do as a placeholder for why some people seem to do great and others (equals no less) not so great. A lot of untalented, complacent people have jobs at the expense of some enthusiastic, skilled people and it'll never make a lot of sense.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

First, the official unemployment rate is a lie. Tons of people aren't counted in it and the way it's calculated keeps getting altered.

Second, read the thread linked in my signature. I wrote the OP and others contributed as well. You are already on a good track working with Amazon, eBay etc. to try and pull through.

I'm sorry for your struggles - for whatever that's worth. I am personally appalled you were rejected from a bag boy job for having a degree. That's just backwards. I would have hired you - just the fact you have a degree tells me you have follow through and would do things like show up on time and be respectful to customers. FFS.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Yes, cisco.com has tons of information.

Many colleges and tech centers offer classes. Bottom line is Cisco certifications and experience pays.

jobview.monster.com...

Chicago, IL
Full-Time $100,000 - $140,000

jobview.monster.com...

Draper, UT
Full-Time $65,000 - $90,000

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLegend
I'll look into it. Any specific sites or literature you would advise I start at first?

You can't go wrong starting with this book.... www.ciscopress.com...

The author writes in such an easy to understand and enjoyable way.

Figure out which of the tracks excite you the most and focus on that. If you need any advice just say the word..
edit on 24-6-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

top topics

join