It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British police calling for knife ban

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Its to do with reasonable force.
You can own a gun but you have to keep it in a locked box.
If I had one I would not use it If I heard an intruder I would use my bat and anything else handy with reasonable force to subdue or scare the intruder away.
The odds on the person having a gun is more or less zero, knife? maybe but I can handle that and have before.
You just don't get it we don't want nor need guns in our culture and If we want one we can get one.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

If I had one I would not use it If I heard an intruder I would use my bat and anything else handy with reasonable force to subdue or scare the intruder away.
The odds on the person having a gun is more or less zero, knife? maybe but I can handle that and have before.
You just don't get it we don't want nor need guns in our culture and If we want one we can get one.
Self defense is not a qualifying need for a gun license and its a lot more difficult than you let on.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
So you would be okay with people in the UK able to own guns for self defense in their own homes?

I am happy with UK citizens being able to own rifles and shotguns for reason of hunting/sport/vermin control as our law currently allows.
I also agree with the law that 'self defence' as a reason to apply for a firearm license is not acceptable.
Different cultures is all. A citizen of the UK can hold a firearm for reasons of sport/whatever, and can legally use it in self defence (under reasonable force rules) if they are under attack. But the primary reason for holding the weapon is not self defence.
Different cultures.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Odd, I thought it was already illegal to carry a concealed knife here?

Guns only serve to give cowards a voice, we don't need or want them.

Problem - Fisty Cuffs Fight - end of problem usually.

Loser accepts hes lost. We all lose some fights, we just don't then get a gun and kill for revenge.

Get drunk, see guy again, new fisty cuffs fight

Happens every weekend. Haha

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Self defense is not a qualifying need for a gun license and its a lot more difficult than you let on.

What other use is there for a handgun please?

Other than target shooting is there another valid use?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Plenty of shooting clubs around me I know a few of em and have gone shooting before I could join and then apply for a licence.
Not been a bad lad and could have a box installed If I wanted.
We just check the person isn't a nutjob.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: jehova620
Odd, I thought it was already illegal to carry a concealed knife here?

Guns only serve to give cowards a voice, we don't need or want them.

Problem - Fisty Cuffs Fight - end of problem usually.

Loser accepts hes lost. We all lose some fights, we just don't then get a gun and kill for revenge.

Get drunk, see guy again, new fisty cuffs fight

Happens every weekend. Haha

Out with the name calling. Where is that "different cultures" mod?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jehova620

Hahaha! True!
Americans have just forgotten how to fight like men.
I hope we never become as paranoid and scared of each other (and the police) as our US neighbours.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

What other use is there for a handgun please?

Other than target shooting is there another valid use?

There are many uses. From self defense to target shooting to hunting (yes, we do hunt with handguns out here), sport, competition, collecting.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

But you still need a licence to own and carry a gun is that correct?

No, it isn't. At the federal level, there is no licensing or registration of the vast majority of firearms (in fact, a federal registry is against US law). Some states require it, though I think most don't, and its more likely for handguns than rifles or shotguns. My state has no registration or licensing requirement to own anything unless the feds also require it, which, again, they usually don't.

The state laws on carry vary some. Concealed carry requires a permit in most, if not all states, as far as I know. Some theoretically allow 'open carry.' Mine is one of these.
edit on 27-6-2015 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I can understand that but which of those uses would neccesitate carrying one loaded in public?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I can understand that but which of those uses would neccesitate carrying one loaded in public?

Right. We get that you don't believe in self defense.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: jehova620

Hahaha! True!
Americans have just forgotten how to fight like men.
I hope we never become as paranoid and scared of each other (and the police) as our US neighbours.

Actually, like the UK there is a lot of fisticuffs that do not end in shootings here and people do know how to fight. We just don't expect our law abiding citizens make it "sporting" for our criminals.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

If you'd be willing to travel I'm happy to show you if you want using safe training weapons in a safe environment. If you can pull it off one time in 10 I'll give you £100 on the spot and buy you a drink after. Can message you the location of my gym in London. Think of it as a fun day out if nothing else, but if you have more important things to do or no interest in it; it's all good.

These things are far better to learn in practice than find out how wrong they are in reality.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

No we do we just don't need guns to do so.
Not a brag but why have them when our crims don't have guns? yours do so you have guns I get it you just don't get us.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Fair enough then chap, I'm done now.

You have been arguing about an issue that is not even correct in a country you do not understand against people from that country and refuse to bow down to the overwhelming disagreement on your views on this subject.

I assume that you will not stop and so I will.

Have fun and be happy.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

When did he say he didn't believe in self defence?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Oh behave, I have my own local gym.
A bat is an extension of the arm by 3 foot, a knife is 1 foot at best.
I shall leave you to the 'my gym is better than yours' jerk circle.
Just ignore me if my points trouble you and your assertions about fighting, we can only prove it if we met up, so debate is fruitless.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

You know what....... doesn't matter how many times we explain it, he's just not going to get it. It's like baning my head against a brick wall and I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

We are happy with our criminals not having guns and know that if we relaxed gun laws then they would therefore within time have guns but he isn't happy with that........ luckily he doesn't live here, he lives in a country where the criminals DO have guns guns....... so we're all happy then.

I'm out.
edit on 27-6-2015 by b14warrior because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2015 by b14warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: b14warrior

When did he say he didn't believe in self defence?

If one does not want to permit one the tools to defend themselves, how can they say they believe in self defense? Let's see--no knives over 3 inches, no Tasers, no tear gas, and absolutely no guns. Seems like you guys worry more about the safety of the criminals than anyone else. Different cultures. Some cultures value the individual law abiding citizen over others.

<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join