It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uniquely Nasty: The US Governments War On Gays

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In a 30 minute documentary released by Yahoo, we can have a look into our not so recent past and view never before seen documents outlining our governments history in association with its endeavor to rid it's self of 'sexual deviates,' a term used by the feds in its quest to identify and ostracize federal workers within the government.

"The film explores a dark and little-known chapter in America’s recent political past, when gays and lesbians were barred from working for the federal government and the FBI, through its“sex deviates” program, secretly collected hundreds of thousands of files on the sex lives of American citizens."

Source

Along with the film, Yahoo News is releasing for the first time in their entirety a cache of long-secret government memos that have been uncovered in recent years by Francis, working with a team of lawyers from the firm of McDermott Will & Emery. Also included in this package are stories about the history of the FBI’s “sex deviates” program; a profile of Robert Gray, a gay Republican lobbyist and Washington powerbroker who secretly lived in fear of the FBI; a story about how Watergate hero Archibald Cox, in his days as John F. Kennedy’s solicitor general, sought to bar gays from federal employment; and the role of “Advise and Consent”in intimidating gays in politics, such as former congressman Barney Frank, from leaving the closet.

Although we have come along way from what is described in the video, institutionalized hatred and intolerance for the nation's gay community is wrought in our countries past, as well as other civil rights issues currently afflicting our nation.

So, as the Supreme Court is set to rule on same sex marriage, perhaps they can get this one right and extend civil protections to people who are no different than you or I.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

I brought this up a couple weeks ago talking about McCarthy . It was indeed a dark time in our history in my opinion that era was the greatest threat to our civil rights in modern history .

It went on the same time as McCarthyism and the "Red Scare" and was referred to by the public as the " Lavender Scare" .

The lavender scare refers to the fear and persecution of homosexuals in the 1950s in the United States and United Kingdom, which paralleled the anti-communist campaign known as McCarthyism. Gay men and lesbians were often considered communist sympathizers ("fellow travelers"), and the era of lavender scare "may be seen as the time when homosexuals became the chief scapegoats of the Cold War."[1] Former U.S. Senator Alan K. Simpson has written: "The so-called 'Red Scare' has been the main focus of most historians of that period of time. A lesser-known element ... and one that harmed far more people was the witch-hunt McCarthy and others conducted against homosexuals."

The lavender scare
edit on 22-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I dont see the institutionalized hate for gay people in the US this day and age....

i realize maybe in the past but not now.....

Sure there are some bigotted people out there but there will always be.........

Ill be willing to take the "righteous idignation" about gay policy seriously when special interest groups start standing up to stop this........

And please to those who come back saying "Thats not the US thats not our problem" , When you start seeing lines drawn that "arent your problem" between your own brethren when you say you are fighting for gay rights, then you not only lack the courage of your convictions

But you do injustice to your cause.......

People scream about wedding cakes and pizza parlors and "right to marry in churches" here in the US........when people are being murdered for their sexual preference........

1st world problems huh?
edit on 6/22/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Of course there are unjust human atrocities around the world.

Why must they always be brought into threads focused on a specific issue?

"My atrocity is bigger then your atrocity"

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It's time for religion to get out of the way. If a man says he was born gay, he was born gay.

He should seek a gay partner.

A straight person shouldn't "try" gay sex, that is a sin. A gay person shouldn't try to entice a straight person, that is sin.

If a man says he was born gay, how can being gay be a sin for him?

We don't need to cure gay.

If what a man is doing is wrong we can let God hash that out later. We do not judge a man's soul, regardless of what arrogant religious leaders may claim.

We were instructed to love one another. It is time we stop calling our gay brothers liars.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Well, there is this:
iglhrc.org...

A quote from their ME section:

Most of our work on Iran and Iraq has involved emergency responses to arrests and executions, such as when we joined other human rights activists in demanding a halt to the execution of Makvan Mouloodzadeh, an Iranian who was convicted of sodomy allegedly committed at age 13 and sentenced to death by the Iranian judicial system in 2007. We have also contributed to the rentals of safe houses for gay Iraqis who have been persistently persecuted by militias, and have worked with international refugee groups to help Iranian refugees in Turkey.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
So the U.S government made AID's and compared Gays to Black people...who are extremely Homophobic...

O dear God, Imagine if the Black community found that out.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Of course there are unjust human atrocities around the world.

Why must they always be brought into threads focused on a specific issue?

"My atrocity is bigger then your atrocity"

Because the specific issue is how gays arent treated equal .........Is this not the same?

"of course there are atrocities" thats a really nice attitude to have while they are being murdered.....

They must come up to remind people how fickle they are being here in the US, to remind them that while they THINK they are being slighted against their fellow gays are being murdered whole sale.....

If they really cared about equality of their fellow gays , then should they not be standing up to make a change world wide?

How bout starting with actual atrocities against gays and trying to fix them?

Because its hard?

Because its "not in the US" and there for not our problem?

What happened to being "human" what happened to it being everyones problem?

Why does it keep coming up?

Because the the agenda of these special interests groups is NOT real, its just that an AGENDA

if it were real they would be calling for action against ISIS murdering their own fellow gay people

This just doesnt come from me, there are a lot of gay people out there who are sick of this piddling about these mundane issues, I have a friend in Nashville (who just got married to his new husband, congrats) who is putting together some things to try and make a move against those injustices.......

Maybe the rest of you who insist a cake baker, or some other trivial affair, are the real evils in the world, could look into doing the same thing
edit on 6/22/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lakotas

Well, there is this:
iglhrc.org...

A quote from their ME section:

Most of our work on Iran and Iraq has involved emergency responses to arrests and executions, such as when we joined other human rights activists in demanding a halt to the execution of Makvan Mouloodzadeh, an Iranian who was convicted of sodomy allegedly committed at age 13 and sentenced to death by the Iranian judicial system in 2007. We have also contributed to the rentals of safe houses for gay Iraqis who have been persistently persecuted by militias, and have worked with international refugee groups to help Iranian refugees in Turkey.

haha thats actually who my friend works with, and we need organizations like THAT to be taking the front page, no this praddling BS about how peoples feelings are hurt over trivial stuff

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

It's time for religion to get out of the way. If a man says he was born gay, he was born gay.

A straight person shouldn't "try" gay sex, that is a sin. A gay person shouldn't try to entice a straight person, that is sin.

If what a man is doing is wrong we can let God hash that out later. We do not judge a man's soul, regardless of what arrogant religious leaders may claim.

We were instructed to love one another. It is time we stop calling our gay brothers liars.

Because people aren't born gay....Throw that garbage argument right out the window! Born gay.....What has this world come to? People aren't born gay....

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Then you believe anywhere from 1% to 5% of the world's population is lying.

You are claiming that 150 plus million people are liars.

I will not call my brothers liars. I will allow God the space to judge.

But you on the other hand seem to think you speak for God.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

So stop trying to fix smaller evils at home until all the greatest evils internationally are eliminated? Why not deal with both?

Besides, If you're not a gay person can you really speak about systemic hate not being around for gay people anymore?

I'm totally with you on organisations like the one your friend is involved with getting more headlines, though. I had never heard of it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Because people aren't born gay....Throw that garbage argument right out the window! Born gay.....What has this world come to? People aren't born gay....

You can keep saying this until you are blue in the face, but it will never make it true.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Because people aren't born gay....Throw that garbage argument right out the window. Born gay.....What has this world come to? People aren't born gay....
People aren't born straight! Throw that garbage right out the window. Born straight. What has this world come to? People aren't born straight. They CHOOSE to be straight.
edit on 22-6-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

NO....NO....NO no no no no!!!

This is the freaking argument that always comes up when someone says that people aren't born gay! Just because someone is gay does not mean they were born that way! Gay is a CHOICE!

I would be willing to bet over 99% of the people you ask had something happen in their life that turned them gay! Whether it be a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend cheat or something bad.....That pain made them turn away from the opposite sex....Not everyone has this happen, but this is the case with many....The rest CHOSE to be gay, not because they were born that way, because they had no luck with women or they had an experience as a child they liked with the same sex....There are hundreds of reasons someone chooses to be gay, being born that way is not the/or A reason....Because people aren't born gay, they chose it!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You can keep saying this until you are blue in the face, but it will never make it true.

Krazy, it is true buddy! Gay is a choice, not a birthright....

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

This is the freaking argument that always comes up when someone says that people aren't born gay! Just because someone is gay does not mean they were born that way! Gay is a CHOICE!

This is your opinion. It is not supported by science.

Please do not make declarative statements like that, without first advising people, that your OPINION, isn't the means by which we measure the world around us.

Mine neither.

ETA: as for the topic, it doesn't really compare what other groups of people have gone through, even during the same time frame, like residence schools, the CIA testing drugs on African Americans without telling them, sterilization etc.

I'm glad we can reflect on that history now and see what was committed and by whom, but it's not going to change the conversation or make people who are inclined to be against homosexuality, to being for it.

~Tenth
edit on 6/22/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

NO....NO....NO no no no no!!!

I would be willing to bet over 99% of the people you ask had something happen in their life that turned them gay! Whether it be a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend cheat or something bad.....That pain made them turn away from the opposite sex....Not everyone has this happen, but this is the case with many....The rest CHOSE to be gay, not because they were born that way, because they had no luck with women or they had an experience as a child they liked with the same sex....There are hundreds of reasons someone chooses to be gay, being born that way is not the/or A reason....Because people aren't born gay, they chose it!
Tell me something. Imagine having sex with man. Really do it. Imagine sensually kissing him, having foreplay.

Does that thought make you aroused? It shouldn't, if you're straight. Can YOU choose to be aroused by gay sex?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Haha...I have made my choice very clearly....I choose to be straight, I choose to father children of my own, I choose to do what God intended, be fruitful and multiply....I choose to do what is natural in nature....How any man doesn't choose to be with a woman is just a poor choice, nothing is like that sweet center of a woman....No brown eye, not even Brad Pitt's would be satisfying enough for me to switch teams....

I love women, not everyone has to do the same as a man....But that is their choice to do so otherwise....

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

You didn't answer my question. You just gave empty platitudes about god and family.

Can YOU as a person be aroused by thoughts of gay sex?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join