It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countries With The Most Engineering Graduates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Which countries churn out the most engineering graduates every year? When it comes to engineering degrees, the United States, Japan and other developed nations produced the majority of the world’s graduates over past few decades. However, things have started to change and a significant number of new engineering, manufacturing and construction graduates now come from developing and emerging countries.

According to research conducted by the World Economic Forum (which excludes China and India due to lack of data), Russia leads the way, producing an annual total of 454,000 graduates in engineering, manufacturing and construction. The United States is in second position with 237,826 while Iran rounds off the top three with 233,695. Developing economies including Indonesia and Vietnam have also made it into the top 10, producing 140,000 and 100,000 engineering graduates each year respectively.

www.forbes.com...

For those who are interested , here are the most prestigious Iranian tech universities :

www.sharif.ir...

www.ut.ac.ir...

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be more informative if it was compared to the total population of each country ?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

Congrats to Iran as they have done it while under economic sanctions from the west .Those numbers will only increase with time and a alternative source for economics .go brics go .

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
Wouldn't it be more informative if it was compared to the total population of each country ?

Yes of course .

1- Russia with a population of 143 million

2- United States of America with a population of 319 million

3- Iran with a population of 78 million

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

If it would have been calculated like the debt to gdp then the US would look very sad .Japan seems to be leading the pack though in that situation .

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sure countries who has a lot of people living there has most graduates.. BUT its not per capita
Per capita you will have totally different countries

Graduates in Science, math, computer science and engineering 2010 ( most likely not much changed ) PER CAPITA

Link

Quality over mass

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

If it would have been calculated like the debt to gdp then the US would look very sad .Japan seems to be leading the pack though in that situation .

Yeah bro . Japan is shockingly advanced , i mean hats off to these people .

And regarding US , to be fair , the quality of education in (some) US university is very high . as an example in most international competitions MIT successfully beat its Iranian counterpart - Sharif UT . while sharif trashes other universities through US and around the globe .

MIT and harvard are exemplary . in my line of work , we try to copy paste whatever Johns hopkins does with some modification cause they're simply the best .

If we omit these TOP universities , US education is not doing very well compared to others .

japan , Russia , china and India are expected to rise and shine .

Regarding Iran , we have highly advanced education here , but it still takes some more time

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
As a bloc, the Muslim world’s showing in this year’s “Global Gender Gap” report, compiled by the World Economic Forum (WEF) and released on Tuesday, is even worse than in previous recent years, when 17 of the bottom 20 were Islamic states.

The survey, covering a total of 142 countries this year, measures gaps between women and men in four key areas: political empowerment, economic participation and opportunity, educational attainment, and health and survival.

Gender gap rankings

Curiosity
Iran ranked in place 137
Japan in place 104
India in place 114
Russia in place 75

US in place 20
UK in place 26

There are a lot to fix, how much potential is kept from advancing. Many issues in each countries you mentioned some from religious traditions, cultural traditions and caste system ( which is still much alive )
When these countries fix issues in equality then there is something to praise about !

Adding

Iran’s government stops Baha’is from teaching or studying at public universities. But they do teach. And they do study. The Baha’i Institute for Higher Education (BIHE) was established in 1987 as an informal university to give young Baha’is a chance to learn. The BIHE followed a tradition of Baha’i educational initiatives that dates back to the 19th century – when the Baha’is opened some of Iran’s first modern schools. The Baha’is are Iran’s largest religious minority.

More than 200 Baha’is were executed between 1979 and 1987, after the Islamic revolution, and over 100 Baha’is are currently imprisoned because of their faith. The community was also periodically persecuted in the decades before the revolution. Baha’is today are still routinely harassed, denied livelihoods, arrested, and jailed on false charges.

The story of the persecution of Iran’s Baha’is, and the creation of the Baha’i Institute for Higher Education, are the subject of the film To Light a Candle, produced by the Iranian-Canadian filmmaker Maziar Bahari. The film uses personal stories and dramatic archival footage to explore the persecution of the Baha’is and the role of their peaceful resistance in Iran’s democratic movement. To Light a Candle was just the beginning. A new campaign, Education is Not a Crime, features voices of support for Iran’s Baha’is from around the world. Educationisnotacrime.me is the nucleus of the campaign.

Eduacation is not a crime

Excellent ?

edit on 11-6-2015 by dollukka because: a bit more added

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Sure countries who has a lot of people living there has most graduates.. BUT its not per capita

Graduates in Science, math, computer science and engineering 2010 ( most likely not much changed ) PER CAPITA

Link

Quality over mass

What is your source again ? conferenceboard.ca ?

World economic forum said the following :

Iranian number of graduates : 235,000

US number of graduates : 237,000

Iran's population : 78 mil

US population : 319 mil

now how in the world is Iranian "per capita" lower than US ? yeah go figure .

this level of math is taught for pre-schoolers here .

As a bloc, the Muslim world’s showing in this year’s “Global Gender Gap” report

WTF that had to do with the topic ? why every thread i make is trolled by some ?

Gender gap =/= The Most Engineering Graduates

and FYI :

60% of the students enrolled in Iranian universities were women :

en.wikipedia.org...

www.nationmaster.com...

Iran ranked 2

US ranked 59 .

and bhai BULL# . What in the hell does that have to do with anything ? some people just live to troll .

next time think before hitting the keyboard .

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Come on .. being a bit cranky?
Sorry i forgot the source on that lines.

Source

As a bloc, the Muslim world’s showing in this year’s “Global Gender Gap” report, compiled by the World Economic Forum (WEF) and released on Tuesday, is even worse than in previous recent years, when 17 of the bottom 20 were Islamic states. The survey, covering a total of 142 countries this year, measures gaps between women and men in four key areas: political empowerment, economic participation and opportunity, educational attainment, and health and survival. The 20 countries at the bottom of the 2014 list, in order from the lowest-ranked, are Yemen, Pakistan, Chad, Syria, Mali, Iran, Cote d’Ivoire, Lebanon, Jordan, Morocco, Guinea, Mauritania, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Oman, Ethiopia, Algeria, Turkey, Bahrain and Tunisia. With the exception of Ethiopia, all are Muslim-majority states. The highest-ranking Islamic state in the WEF survey is Kazakhstan in 43rd place. (Mozambique, ranked 27th, is a member of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation bloc, but does not have a Muslim majority.) The highest-placed Arab state is Kuwait, in 113th position. At the other end of the WEF survey, as was the case in previous years, are the Nordic countries, with Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark taking the top five places. The United States is in 20th position, up three places from the 2013 index. In the four sub-indexes, the U.S. placed fourth out of the 142 countries in economic participation and opportunity; 39th in educational attainment; 54th in political empowerment; and 62nd in health and survival.

Link

There you go.. tone down a bit !

It is not about how many enrolled, it is about possibility for education.. two different things. See the point ?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So wheres all the Gundam suits?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Come on .. being a bit cranky?
Sorry i forgot the source on that lines.

yeah haha .

honey , again : WTF that has to do with the topic ?

Yeah Iran is a bad bad country . but we're still going to beat you in your own game in the next 20 years or so .

www.newscientist.com...

so one by one :

You claimed that this numbers are not important and the "per capita" is the most important figure . not that you're a scientist yourself , but here i proved you wrong :

"
What is your source again ? conferenceboard.ca ?

World economic forum said the following :

Iranian number of graduates : 235,000

US number of graduates : 237,000

Iran's population : 78 mil

US population : 319 mil

now how in the world is Iranian "per capita" lower than US ? yeah go figure .

this level of math is taught for pre-schoolers here . "

then you threw some typical BS about Iran's gender gap - the same stories that are thrown on a daily basis for 30 years - and i simply ask :

What does that have to do with the topic ? you're a troll . as simple as that .

edit on 11-6-2015 by haman10 because: tuned down my rhetoric

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Link

Quality over mass

So finland has the most scientists per capita, interesting! What's that work out too, 12 people or something? imo, it's kind of irrelevant in a country of 5 million that's made up of 99% of white Finnish and Swedes. Actually, all those tiny western European static countries are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to the world stage.

Shouldn't be all that surprising that you have such a blatant disdain for middle eastern countries, I suppose it's apart of your culture to be intolerant of people who are different and have a darker skin tone to yourself............... Just saying.

Peace

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: haman10

If we omit these TOP universities , US education is not doing very well compared to others .

To be honest, it’s not the numbers of graduates. It is the quality. I think the more significant questions is…

Of the top 100 universities for engineering and technology (2015) how many are from Russia and Iran? There is one from the Russian Federation and none from Iran. There are no Iranian or Russian universities in the top 100 when considering all disciplines.

On this basis I would rather hire a graduate engineer from any university, other than from Iran and Russia.

> Times university rankings
edit on 11/6/2015 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

As i said there is a lot of potential in those countries OP stated, what i see potential and possibilities to fix a lot of problems these countries do have, only if they choose the path of equality in education. Better system which allows all who want a better education to actually have it.
In Fenno Scandinavia education is basically free (government payed ) and there are supporting systems for students so they can study and graduate. That is reason why they rank highest.
In OP stated countries to get good education is not that easy and there are restrictions who can and who cannot study. So potential are there but not used. I see a good place to put some of that oil money.. give to to eduacations so all country can benefit from it.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

To be honest, it’s not the numbers of graduates. It is the quality. I think the more significant questions is…

Of the top 100 universities for engineering and technology (2015) how many are from Russia and Iran? There is one from the Russian Federation and none from Iran. There are no Iranian or Russian universities in the top 100 when considering all disciplines.

On this basis I would rather hire a graduate engineer from any university, other than from Iran and Russia.

> Times university rankings
University rankings are not solely based on publications / scientific output .

if this was the only contributing factor be sure that both Iran and Russia would have rocked the charts .

even the food that is given to the students in university's diner is a major factor .

i mean give us a break , this is crazy :

www.dining.harvard.edu...

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

University rankings are not solely based on publications / scientific output .

That's the sneaky thing about the rankings I posted, because they do not. You can attempt rationalise why Russia and Iran have no world class universities, but you need to accept that there are none.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

About food.. we all need to eat.. so do students, don´t they? Why should eating be boring.. dining and learning to eat good healthy meals.. nothing bad in that.
Dining is also a social happening, conversations etc. I find that page you linked fabulous !

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Which countries churn out the most engineering graduates every year? When it comes to engineering degrees, the United States, Japan and other developed nations produced the majority of the world’s graduates over past few decades. However, things have started to change and a significant number of new engineering, manufacturing and construction graduates now come from developing and emerging countries.

According to research conducted by the World Economic Forum (which excludes China and India due to lack of data), Russia leads the way, producing an annual total of 454,000 graduates in engineering, manufacturing and construction. The United States is in second position with 237,826 while Iran rounds off the top three with 233,695. Developing economies including Indonesia and Vietnam have also made it into the top 10, producing 140,000 and 100,000 engineering graduates each year respectively.

www.forbes.com...

For those who are interested , here are the most prestigious Iranian tech universities :

www.sharif.ir...

www.ut.ac.ir...

They may graduate from a U.S. school but then they go home to China.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

But I thought we didn't have enough kids graduating with STEM degrees?

Guess that's total BS as well.

It doesn't matter those kids don't get hired anyway they get replaced by kids from China and India at half the cost through H1-b visas.

JOKE

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join