It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeb Bush In 1995: Unwed Mothers Should Be Publicly Shamed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: daryllyn
a reply to: Logarock

What sort of cave have you been living in? Public assistance can be very lucrative and provides a good crutch for millions of americans. But more than ever these days public assistance has become more like addendum income for couples who don't get officially married so the mother can be on assistance while the father works.

All those welfare recipients are living high on the hog, in the lap of luxury, right? Just raking in ALL of your hard earned tax dollars...

I know more than a few couples that wont marry so mom can qualify for assistance, the kids get health cards, dad works doesn't have to worry about insurance for the family, rent and mom even works part time.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

An investment company that probably took corporate welfare and used them there loopholes just for the richuns. LOL

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Regardless of who said it, I agree with this particular point. It seems living off the taxpayer is the "in" thing to do these days.

Isn't that exactly what Jeb Bush does? Live off the taxpayers?

WTF do you get that? All I said was, that societal pressures influence behavior. That is a fact.

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Jeb Bush. I just find it ironic when welfare queens like Jeb Bush talk down to impoverished Americans while supporting other welfare giants like the corporations we subsidize.

It's the whole tactic of blaming the poor guy for using your resources but thanking the rich guy for using even more of your resources.

So one "welfare" justifies another?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Regardless of who said it, I agree with this particular point. It seems living off the taxpayer is the "in" thing to do these days.

Isn't that exactly what Jeb Bush does? Live off the taxpayers?

WTF do you get that? All I said was, that societal pressures influence behavior. That is a fact.

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Jeb Bush. I just find it ironic when welfare queens like Jeb Bush talk down to impoverished Americans while supporting other welfare giants like the corporations we subsidize.

It's the whole tactic of blaming the poor guy for using your resources but thanking the rich guy for using even more of your resources.

Yea thats right. They talk about what most voters see in their world every day. Things that irritate them. And yea then go in for all the cooperate welfare. But its ok to realize we should be pissed off at both.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I know more than a few couples that wont marry so mom can qualify for assistance, the kids get health cards, dad works doesn't have to worry about insurance for the family, rent and mom even works part time.

You don't know everyone's situation. Things aren't always as they appear.

Heaven forbid anything happen, such as an accident or sudden illness, and you find yourself in the welfare line. I'd bet you would be singing a very different tune.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is just another form of bullying.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Provide the statistics to back up your stance.

I'll wait.

I could but I wont. I am old enough to remember the rarity of women having kids out of wedlock. Didn't have anything to do with morals as the pill and abortion were the rage in the 70s. Now about 1/3 of my 21 year old daughters friends have kids out of wedlock. I will say that the number may be down somewhat from the hayday of the unwed mothers back in the 90s. Thats when it become an industry. Its not just women's fault by the way.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Fat Shaming
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Makeup Shaming
www.today.com...

Gay Shaming
en.wikipedia.org...

Man Shaming
lissarankin.com...

Black Shaming
blackmillennials.com...

Shaming seems to be very popular now-a-days.

Interesting article on the subject: Just because you don’t like someone’s criticism doesn’t mean they’re “shaming” you.

However, please note that this was in 1995, when the word was not yet overused. When it meant something more like this:

Do we want to allow a society where people do this to others? Or do we look for more sane and less psychologically and emotionally damaging fixes?

And the real question here is: Does a person who felt this way once, that shaming unwed mothers was okay, really change his stripes? And do you want that kind of person running our country?

edit on 6/10/2015 by ~Lucidity because: spacing issue

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Shaming has always been within the human culture.

Like it, hate it, it all depends on your own point of view.

It always has been, it always will be.

So Bush tried it.

OMG!
edit on 10-6-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

The reality of then, has little to do with the reality of today.

Things change. Do try and keep up.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

You don't know everyone's situation. Things aren't always as they appear.

Heaven forbid anything happen, such as an accident or sudden illness, and you find yourself in the welfare line. I'd bet you would be singing a very different tune.

Even of that were the case, which by the way is what the safety net was originally sold as, it still doesn't change the fact that for the large part the unwed mothers on assistance became an industry.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

However, please note that this was in 1995, when the word was not yet overused. When it meant something more like this:

Doesn't change the fact that it's been used since the dawn of time.

Do we want to allow a society where people do this to others? Or do we look for more sane and less psychologically and emotionally damaging fixes?

You going to stop people from criticizing and trying to change people's behaviours through social acceptance?

And the real question here is: Does a person who felt this way once, that shaming unwed mothers was okay, really change his stripes? And do you want that kind of person running our country?

Personally? I don't want another Bush in the White House. But it's not because he thought unwed mothers were not good.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

The reality of then, has little to do with the reality of today.

Things change. Do try and keep up.

Yes but what has changed are not the facts but the charade. We stopped talking about girls in trouble decades ago to calling anything a family. A woman with 3 kids usually several dads is hardly the equivalent ot some young couple that got carried away in the back seat of a car one night.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Fat Shaming
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Makeup Shaming
www.today.com...

Gay Shaming
en.wikipedia.org...

Man Shaming
lissarankin.com...

Black Shaming
blackmillennials.com...

Shaming seems to be very popular now-a-days.

Interesting article on the subject: Just because you don’t like someone’s criticism doesn’t mean they’re “shaming” you.

OTOH, do we want a society where no one believes in individual responsibility and makes poor choices because big brother will take care of it?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Yes but what has changed are not the facts but the charade. We stopped talking about girls in trouble decades ago to calling anything a family. A woman with 3 kids usually several dads is hardly the equivalent ot some young couple that got carried away in the back seat of a car one night.

Yet another generalization. I am shocked.

Someone call the squad.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

It seems like these days there is very little shame about anything. Does anyone really get embarrassed anymore about anything? It is an emotional, ethical, ect, ect you name it, dog eat dog world out there these days.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

And again? Do we have to shame people to teach them about individual responsibility? What's wrong with the alternatives? Education? Assistance when they need it? Support?

Feeling shame comes from within anyway. Some people come by it naturally, some are taughy. However, the action of shaming others? That's just plain mean and harmful. And extremely damaging.
edit on 6/10/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There is a world of difference between blaming and shaming.

Blaming tells us that we have done something bad.

Shaming tells us that we are something bad.

Psychology 101

link   

a reply to: NavyDoc

And again? Do we have to shame people to teach them about individual responsibility? What's wrong with the alternatives? Education? Assistance when they need it? Support?

Why does one preclude the other? And yes, societal pressure has more effect than any educational or assistance or threat of legal action. One's peers and social group has more effect in changing and preventing behavior than any other feel good program.

link   

Yet another generalization. I am shocked.

Someone call the squad.

The world these days makes it easy for people to kick their conscience under the rug. On so many levels.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join