It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the drug corridor of Iowa, even federal judge has his hands tied

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The drug war is a total farce. The people who still support it are the ones who make money off of it.

Washington Post

Now he read the sentencing documents at his bench and punched numbers into an oversize calculator. When he finally looked up, he raised his hands together in the air as if his wrists were handcuffed, and then he repeated the conclusion that had come to define so much about his career.

“My hands are tied on your sentence,” he said. “I’m sorry. This isn’t up to me.”

Well, honestly I know the judge has his hands tied and its really the American people fault for A, not voting, and B, allowing this to continue.

But why does this continue you ask...

Politicians as disparate as President Obama and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) are pushing new legislation in Congress to weaken mandatory minimums, but neither has persuaded Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee that is responsible for holding initial votes on sentencing laws.

Oh... look.. isn't that a coincidence... Charles Grassley... one of his major campaign contributors is Berkshire Hathaway...

Source

Berkshire Hathaway $30,700 $9,700 $21,000

Just so happens to be that one of Buffets favorite stocks is Wells Fargo who just so happens to have over 4 billion invested into for profit prisons.

Source

Buffett owned 5 million shares of Wells Fargo stock in 1990 for a cost of $289.4 million. He's bought in at a number of different price points since, but his philosophy appears to have remained the same. He's continued to add to his position based on the idea that Wells Fargo is one of the best banks in the business being run by some of the best people in the business.

And who is Wells Fargo invested in you ask...

Forbes

Wells Fargo owns 4 million shares in the Geo Group, the second largest private prison corporation in America, and 50,000 shares in the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), the largest private prison corporation in the country.

Kind of sucks knowing that even our federal judges want the American people to step up to the plate and vote these totally corrupt senators out of office.

edit on 6/8/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I dont understand...

Why would Wells Fargo or Berkshire Hathaway profit from people going to jail?

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Politicians as disparate as President Obama and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) are pushing new legislation in Congress to weaken mandatory minimums, but neither has persuaded Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee that is responsible for holding initial votes on sentencing laws.

All I can do is say thank you for including a solution along with the problem . That man has pissed almost every Republican off he has to be good for our country .

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think the real problem isn't the corporations. Lets be blunt. Meth heads and drug addicts don't vote. The people that do vote don't want to have to mingle with Meth heads every day.

I agree there is a problem. Great article btw. People need help. Not jail.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Legman
I dont understand...

Why would Wells Fargo or Berkshire Hathaway profit from people going to jail?

Because "for profit prisons" get paid per inmate. More inmates = better stock value. Good business to invest in.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Legman

I think the real problem isn't the corporations

Then you haven't been paying attention.....

On topic....it becomes pretty obvious when you look at it,the war on drugs is a war on the people for no other end that the almighty dollar.....

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

How much clearer can it be?

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Beats me !....some choose to see the writing on the wall i guess and others choose blinders.....

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Tell me how to invest into a prison. Sounds lucrative.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Well if your really interested the best thing you could do for yourself is buy some stock of the stock exchange if you can actually get your hands on it and then commit a federal crime and ensure that your money is safe.

Think of it like a long term investment. Ten years at least.

Invest go to prison for ten years and you will have all your dividends and money waiting for you when you get out!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

The OP makes no logical sense. The replys have made no logical sense. I'm still waiting to hear how warren Buffett and Wells Fargo make money from people going to prison.

Heck I don't even understand that last reply. Looool

Classic ats S&f

edit on 8-6-2015 by Legman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Vector99

Tell me how to invest into a prison. Sounds lucrative.

Here you go GEO stock quote page

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

The OP makes no logical sense. The replys have made no logical sense. I'm still waiting to hear how warren Buffett and Wells Fargo make money from people going to prison.

Classic ats S&f

When a prison gets paid per inmate, what logically will make more money, a full prison or a 1/2 full prison? Why do Warren Buffet and Wells Fargo lobby congressmen? Stricter laws, and mandatory minimums. It really is that simple.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

If you cannot understand the answers Vector99 has given you, that is astounding. The man and bank are heavily invested into for profit prisons. FOR PROFIT prisons make money off prisoners..the profit prison company stock rises, all their investors make money. How much Simpler do you want it?

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Ahh I see. Warren Buffett is a billionaire from prisoners.

Lol you guys win

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Because dumb criminals keep breaking the law and getting caught - there is no one else to blame, but of course some people try and blame anyone/everyone else, except the real cause!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Classic ats S&f

I can give you an example.

One of the things I make in my shop are Navy rack curtains. I know there is a prison in GA that makes them, too. In my small shop, I can only make so many at a time, due to a lack of sewing machine operators. Guess who gets the larger contracts. I have to pay my employees well, skilled sewing machine operators don't grow on trees. But if you get somebody locked up for ten years, train them and pay them peanuts for their labor, you can make a pretty good profit.

A while back I checked out local temp agencies looking for seamstresses, no luck. One guy did boast how his agency did background checks and drug tests on their people, yada yada. I told him that in my case, a prison record might not be a bad thing. Could mean they have experience.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Damn that's a powerful article. Federal law seems all backed up into a corner and without a real plan or awareness.

Punish more, punish longer is a blunt instrument when it comes to mental illness, deprived upbringing and the mind-blowing efficiency of an addiction to meth. 'Mental retardation' is another factor mentioned in there which puts another spin on this soulless sentencing framework.

I dispute the softening of 'victimless crimes' as it's not as simple as that. A few addicts can damage a community without drawing blood. Then there's the wider web of what the meth profits gets spent on further up the hierarchy. Still, 10 years in a fed prison has the same scope for dehumanising an individual as the meth ever did.

The Judge is doing the right thing here. How else will people learn and maybe some grass roots complaining will make a difference? Let's hope so cos the future is bleak when we think how prison changes people for the worse.

I pulled the image off the article to add in here

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: onequestion

Because dumb criminals keep breaking the law and getting caught - there is no one else to blame, but of course some people try and blame anyone/everyone else, except the real cause!

when the law is a ridiculous law should we blame the offender or the people that created the ridiculous law?
Really stupid laws

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

a reply to: lightedhype

Ahh I see. Warren Buffett is a billionaire from prisoners.

Lol you guys win

You should really look into how Warren Buffett has become wealthy, he prefers to buy things people need and raise the rates exponentially, causing governments to subsidize such necessities. That is just another factor of his wealth, but carry on with how great you think he is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join