It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture of free flowing water on Mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
the "water" looks like very fine blown dust to me, you can also see it along the left edge of the rock in some of the other shots on the nasa site. the block itself looks like petrafied sand dune, hence the curves and slight angles in the genneraly parallel stratigrify.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I am definately not an expert in this field, but the shadow on the alleged puddle or pool seems too defined to be cast over liquid. If that were liquid, it would seem that if there were a shadow, there would also be a glare or some reflection. At first I thought the quality of the photo might hinder or hide a glare, and that there might be a reflection of the rock face to the top of the "pool", but it looks to be more of a raised lip in a fine powder because what I thought was a reflection, does not mirror the shape of the rock.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by Makuahine
Here's the Mars Rover page that contains this picture:
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Great job! Thanks!

Well, folks, after looking at ALL the photos on that page, I think it looks like mud or fine sand. There's a couple of images where you can clearly see some sort of "lip" inside the "water" area.

So I'm going to say "no" to free standing liquid" but "yes" to "might have been at one time but not now."

What do the rest of you think?

When you look very closely at the images, it appears that you can see some detail from under the water around the 'shore' and also the whiteish rock that appears to be close to the 'shore' on the upper right.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If people go to the sight, it will be come apparent that the image displayed under this post is when the sun is low in the sky of mars and thus casting long shadows. The other images on the nasa sight clearly show that this is not water and just fine dust, something which many people have commented already. This is simply a trick of the light.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just for the sake of perspective..
The "blueberries" that you see laying around in the pic, are the size of
peppercorns.. This is a fairly close-up pic of the area..

Xon

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yea I agree it is fine dust. It aint whater becouse of there is no reflektion

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm no expert, but sand apears to be what we're looking at once you factor in different angles of the camera.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
At first glance it does appear to be a puddle of muddy, frozen water. But after reviewing it more in depth I am also going to agree that it is an area of fine sand, which is strange in it's own way also.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Interesting pic and comments, but I'm surprised no-one has compared todays pic in APOD with this.
I think Apods pic has more what seems like glaciation marks on it...
antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
personaly i think it's fake, there would have been a whole big "to do" over the fact that theres water
it's not that hard to fake something like that. im a bit of a picture faker my self, but on the other hand i do beleve there is water on mars so it could be real

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
surely the surface of mars is too cold to have water?? the surface of mars would be something around -200 degrees. if its a liquid then it isnt water, then again it looks so fake anyway lol.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Firstly, I can't believe that people are saying the picture is fake, when it is a NASA picture off the NASA website..... or are you saying NASA fakes pictures now ( wich I hadn't said that now, could open a whole can o'worms)

Looks like muddy water too me, some say it is sand, but i can't see that myself, but then I am not an exogeologist, so i say it as i see it.

For those that say it is too cold for liquid water on Mars, well, the Temp can get up too 20 celsius in places, and the air pressure is lower, so liquid water could well exist, if there is any that is.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   

For those that say it is too cold for liquid water on Mars, well, the Temp can get up too 20 celsius in places, and the air pressure is lower, so liquid water could well exist, if there is any that is.

I can say that Stumason is completely correct in his statement that parts of mars are very warm, as warm as 20 c in some places. All you would need is an air tank to survive in some places, that too me is really cool stuff. Trying to find the link right now, as I remember reading about it about a month after my buddy(who just happens to be a geologist) told me about it.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
how do you know its from nasa? it takes you to a link to a website called unknowncountry.com. the whole of the surface though does look like its muddy water. im really not too sure if it holds any truth...if it did don't you think it'd be on the news?

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
how do you know its from nasa?

Try bothering to read the whole thread next time bud, Makuahine provided the link to the images from the NASA site on page 2.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by John Nada]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
sorry didn't see that other link on the 2nd page. Well i'm sure if it was water or some sort of liquid then i think nasa's people would have prehaps figured that out. it looks like a very very close up picture aswell, like something you'd see through a microscope.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join