It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture of free flowing water on Mars?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I came across this article at unknowncountry.com about this NASA picture possibly showing water, although it's hard to determine if it's ice or not. I don't know how genuine it is, and I apologise if this has already been posted.
The area in question is at the bottom right of the picture.

High Strangeness Mars Image

NASA has been quietly posting some extremely strange images from Mars. The ones of cirrus clouds in the Martian sky have been extensively commented on, but the image reproduced here awaits comment.

Clearly, there is either a free flowing or frozen liquid clinging to the base of these large stones. From the photograph it might be possible for experts to determine whether or not this substance is free flowing, and there is some possibility that its chemical composition could at least be speculated upon.

Link to Larger Image

[edit on 23-12-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Well that is pretty cool!
What is the scale on that photo?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
some of it just looks like very fine and firm sand but theres a bit where rocks are going down into a kind of murkey looking water on the right bottom corner if only it was in colour...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg
Well that is pretty cool!
What is the scale on that photo?

400x400 px
I scaled it down so that it wouldn't stretch out the thread, click the link for the full picture though.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lepracornman
some of it just looks like very fine and firm sand but theres a bit where rocks are going down into a kind of murkey looking water on the right bottom corner if only it was in colour...

Yeah, it's the area in the bottom right of the picture that's in question, I should've mentioned that sorry...to save...oh...all of 2 seconds.

Better yet I should've drew a circle around it but I'm feeling much to lazy at the moment...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I have seen a few pictures where it actually looked like water running or pooling on Mars. I say turn the hubble towards the Red Planet

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Is it just me or is it somewhat pixelated in the lower right corner where it looks like the water is?

Note: I"m not saying that I think this is faked or anything

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I've looked at all the pictures from that day and while I do believe there is liquid water on Mars, I really believe this picture shows only wet sand. I don't believe this is a pool of water. I think there is or was very recently water flowing from underneath the rocks in this area.

Check out this site:
www.marsanomalyresearch.com...
Scroll down and look at the second picture on the page - now that's standing water on the surface!
The photos come from NASA MSSS global surveyor which has been photographing the entire surface of Mars for several years now.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins
Is it just me or is it somewhat pixelated in the lower right corner where it looks like the water is?

No I thought that too, but apparantly it came off the NASA website so I was waiting until I found it on there...

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Makuahine
this picture shows only wet sand. I don't believe this is a pool of water.

Excuse me? WET SAND? but no water? explain to me HOW the sand got wet in the first place??............hello? please answer this?

Odd pic I must say.....looks very much like pics I have taken up close of waterfalls against rock.......in Utah USA at least..........................
I have no opinion though, about WHAT this is on Mars........just wondering if its wet sand, HOW it got 'wet'?

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
It just looks like very fine powdery sand to me.

We could speculate forever about it, but without NASA testing it, we will never know. If it was water, and NASA knew about it, we would know too. Their not keeping anything from us...too much to lose.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I personally dont think it is a pool of water for one good reason, there is no reflection of any of the rocks or cliffs etc.

Also it just doesnt look natural to me,i mean it just seems out of place.

I am finding the almost perfect sphere's scattered all over the place in the bottom left hand side of the image more interesting, look at them they just seem really strange dont you think. I know they are probably just rocks but the shapes just seem almost perfectly spherical.

[edit on 24-12-2004 by markjaxson]

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm going to have to say no for this one. Can someone find the picture on a NASA website? That may help. To me this looks like it's zoomed in on something real close.

Originally posted by infinite8
I have seen a few pictures where it actually looked like water running or pooling on Mars. I say turn the hubble towards the Red Planet

Mars is too close for that. Hubble is too near sighted. Or is it far-sighted? Well, whichever is the one that makes you unable to see nearby objects. There are some whole hemisphere pictures of Mars though taken by Hubble.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If it’s a real image.. I’d say it is most likely fine wind blown dust accumulated in that spot.. If you look in the upper part of the image on the left side of the squared rock you can see the same effect.

Its just too cold on Mars for liquid water.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
We're not talking cliffs and lakes here, we're talking rocks and a puddle, i believe this is taken from one of the cams from the rovers. It looks pretty clear cut to me, small puddle bottom right hand corner, with wet sand around the rocks.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I really want it to be water too, but seriously, the chance of having free water on Mars is about 0%. What are the normal temperatures on Mars anyway? +/- 100°C?

I think its just an optic illusion..

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

Note: I"m not saying that I think this is faked or anything

I see that too. Everyone else take a closer look at the supposed water. The pixels look very large on it yet you don't see pixels anywhere else on the photograph. It just looks out of place.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Interesting picture.

Can we tie it into a real picture on the NASA site, or is this just a picture that "showed up" from somewhere? If there's one photo on NASA, there may be photos from other angles that will make it a bit clearer WHAT this is.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Can we tie it into a real picture on the NASA site, or is this just a picture that "showed up" from somewhere? If there's one photo on NASA, there may be photos from other angles that will make it a bit clearer WHAT this is.

I haven't had time to look yet, but unknowncountry.com said it came off the NASA site, you think they'd have a link then wouldn't you?

I have no idea if that site is trustworthy or not, I'd really like to find that image on the NASA site.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
WOW interesting pic that certainly looks like its free flowing to me and I would know what free flowign looks like as i have several degrees and qualifications in geography. I will study the picture more tonight and show my professor see what he thinks

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join