It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.0 Mag EQ Malaysia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thought this one warrants its own thread being Malaysia isn't usually on the list of bigger quakes

No reports of damage thus far

M6.0 - SABAH, MALAYSIA

Preliminary Earthquake Report
Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time
4 Jun 2015 23:15:43 UTC
5 Jun 2015 07:15:44 near epicenter
4 Jun 2015 15:15:43 standard time in your timezone
Location 6.084N 116.549E
Depth 10 km
Distances
19 km (12 mi) NW of Ranau, Malaysia
32 km (20 mi) SSE of Kota Belud, Malaysia
53 km (33 mi) ENE of Donggongon, Malaysia
54 km (33 mi) ENE of Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
217 km (135 mi) NE of Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 7.4 km; Vertical 1.8 km
Parameters Nph = 144; Dmin = 723.0 km; Rmss = 1.23 seconds; Gp = 15°
Version =
Event ID us 20002m5s

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Looks like the epicentre was in the Kinabalu Park , which attracts a lot of tourists and climbers

There's also some mining done in the region.
edit on 4-6-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It happened at about 8AM so a lot of people would be up. I tried all the webcams for Malaysia but cannot connect to them. Power grid may be down. Hope and pray everyone is ok.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Serious question here... And it seems it might... But do earthquakes set off land mines? This could be a godsend if so.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Legman

Are there lots of land mines there? I am not qualified to answer your question, sorry. Your question is both an interesting and a scary one.

News that may or may not be related to the EQ: Mount Sinabung is currently erupting and the army has evacuated a few thousand people to safety. On Google Earth, the two areas are about a 30-40 minute plane ride away from each other with the Mollucca Sea in between.

(Off topic, sorry: I downloaded GEarth again because the shortcut icon has disappeared from my desktop. Even so, I still don't have it. Arggghhh)
edit on 4-6-2015 by aboutface because: typo

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

Are there lots of land mines there? I am not qualified to answer your question, sorry. Your question is both an interesting and a scary one.

News that may or may not be related to the EQ: Mount Sinabung is currently erupting and the army has evacuated a few thousand people to safety. On Google Earth, the two areas are about a 30-40 minute plane ride away from each other with the Mollucca Sea in between.

(Off topic, sorry: I downloaded GEarth again because the shortcut icon has disappeared from my desktop. Even so, I still don't have it. Arggghhh)

Ive been there. Its not like what pol pot did to cambodia. But there are known fields and unknown fields that people unfortunately discover each year. It would seem that an earthquake would set off a landline. Sorry if off topic.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

No no, you're not off topic, but part of my post was. I wanted to post a screen shot of the EQ area and the erupting volcano but I can't locate it again.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

No no, you're not off topic, but part of my post was. I wanted to post a screen shot of the EQ area and the erupting volcano but I can't locate it again.

Thanks for the info about t the volcano. I'll see if I can get in on google earth. I'm on Ipad, bear with me

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Looks like there are some missing and maybe dead due to this.

Sabah tremors: Five climbers on Mt Kinabalu feared dead

KOTA KINABALU: Fears are growing that there might have been casualties in the aftermath of the earthquake that hit Sabah on Friday.

Officials, however, are not commenting on unconfirmed reports that at least five people on the summit area of Mount Kinabalu might have been hit by rockfalls after the mountain shook for nearly a minute.

They were said to be among about 100 climbers stranded on the summit.

Bomba and police teams, including dog squads, were seen heading towards the park area while helicopters were being sought to airlift stranded climbers and mountain guides.

Source

Another site has only 2 missing but more than 160 stranded on a mountain.

About 160 climbers were stranded on Mount Kinabalu, one of Southeast Asia's highest mountains, after a powerful quake hit the area in eastern Borneo.

"They could not come down as the trail has been rendered impassable by falling rocks," said Masidi Manjun, the tourism minister for the Malaysian state of Sabah.

And one confirmed death
edit on 5-6-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lurksoften

Oh that's not good . I wondered about it being a tourist attraction for climbers.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Best I can do to show how the two locations are related
Red pin in this blue image is today's quake

edit on 5-6-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
So far the damage is windows and cracks , no major structural damage has been reported

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Unfortunately the death toll has gone up due to more hikers bodies being found. Once again sometimes it not only the big ones that can be fatal.

Sabah quake: Nine more bodies found, bringing death toll to 11 - See more at: www.straitstimes.com...

KUNDASANG, Malaysia - Nine more bodies have been found following the quake in Mount Kinabalu, bringing the death toll to 11, with eight people still unaccounted for.

"As at noon time, 11 bodies have been recovered (2 identified) and 8 people are still missing," Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun posted on Twitter on Saturday. "Police forensic teams have arrived to assist," he said.

The Star also quoted him telling a media conference that the bodies would be airlifted out of the mountain. Ranau police chief Deputy Supt Farhan Lee Abdullah, who was also present at the conference, said they they were awaiting for the weather to clear for helicopters to fly out the bodies.

Malaysian rescuers had earlier on Saturday brought down to safety 137 hikers who had been stuck on the mountain for up to 18 hours, their descent blocked by damage to a key trail and the threat of continuing rockfalls, AFP reported. Photos of rescuers carrying the injured on what appeared to be makeshift stretchers also emerged on Facebook

Could still go up as 8 more are still missing.

Source

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: lurksoften

Now that interesting. Leave it to the westerners lol

Also death toll is 16 now.

Nudist tourists held in Malaysia for making ‘mountain spirits mad,’ sparking deadly quake

Five western tourists have been banned from leaving Malaysia for “disrespecting the spirits” by stripping naked at the peak of sacred Mt. Kinabalu. Local officials have blamed the group for causing Friday’s earthquake, which killed at least 16 people.

Friday’s 6.0-magnitude tremblor, centered in Malaysia’s Sabah state, stranded more than 130 climbers from 16 countries on the Mount Kinabalu. The UNESCO World Heritage site also suffered from landslides. Tourists from the US, Philippines, the UK, Thailand, and Turkey were on the mountain at the time the quake struck.

Source
edit on 8-6-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Now a 5.2. those damn canadian kids need to keep their clothes on. jk, jk. hope everyone is safe.

M 5.2 - 28km N of Ranau, Malaysia

DYFI? - V
Time
2015-06-12 18:29:16 UTC
Depth
12.4 km

earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

join