It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act Set To Expire Tonight At Midnight

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

That is the funniest picture I have seen in awhile. But we all know this will only last for a few days max, if not, then expect a fresh false flag for the gub'mint to say "I told ya so."

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

That statement could be one of hope or naivete.

It seems more likely that your statement would be .

History will show that the chances of bipartisan support are slim.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But you don't need bipartisan support for executive orders .

Even if the patriot act is abolished there is a good chance that it could become something else entirely; the name may change but the rules may stay the same.

The crystal ball is out! Quick how many fingers am I holding up behind my back ?

Statements like that again make me feel like I'm talking to a defeatist. Are you saying we should no longer even make attempts anymore just give up and roll over?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Even if the patriot act is abolished there is a good chance that it could become something else entirely; the name may change but the rules may stay the same.

Makes you wonder is this is a ploy to give false sense of security like with the TOR network.

Even before Snowden , I think people were aware that they were monitored via all electronics and foreseeable methods available to gov't. Some consumers started to drop off from electronic social networks and some were more cautious as to what they did via electronics and in public.

In other words: everyone was onto the patriot act shenanigans and the endless spying on the public, so it lost some of its effectiveness.

In reality we have secret courtrooms that allow them todo what they want like they did with lavabit, regardless of the patriot act.
www.theguardian.com...

IMO I have a hard time not believing that letting the patriot act expire is just a virtual win for the public. Just like the CEO who were crucified on the Congregational hearings on tv but in reality nothing happened to them. They got there bonus and millions in compensations on the tax payers dime and the public stumped on their chest like they just won?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Good point, sir. A false flag that "could have been prevented had these programs not expired".

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Great way to phrase it...it has been abstracted away. Where once they were synonymous, now they are separated. Too bad...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I hope this Manifesto goes in the trash heap of history.

The only people that the Act identified is people dumb enough to fall for a setup.

They could not point to a single valid arrest coming from the collection of our information.

What is so hard about getting a warrant?

The only reason it was not voted back in was that the Republicans thought the new bill was to weak. I am sure they will come up with something outlandish.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Whatever you think of Snowden ( I feel I owe him a debt of gratitude) he pulled back the covers on some pretty shady programs. In fact, we are entitled to know the things he revealed since we, in theory, run the country by proxy.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
TPTB are ruling the lower classes using fear most of all. Many people fear the boogie man and truth be told this will never change. People for the most part want to be controlled and organized into little tidy boxes of apathy. Find your happy place and let the rest fall apart, and as long as it does not effect you.....WHO CARES.

People will give up every single right just to keep what they have.......And TPTB know this now. They will slowly chip away at the block until only pebbles remain.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
It'll pass because the cesspool that passes for DC won't relinquish power/authority/control for a second.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 ("FISA" Pub.L. 95–511, 92 Stat. 1783, 50 U.S.C. ch. 36) is a United States federal law which prescribes procedures for the physical and electronic surveillance and collection of "foreign intelligence information" between "foreign powers" and "agents of foreign powers" (which may include American citizens and permanent residents suspected of espionage or terrorism).[1] It has been repeatedly amended since the September 11 attacks.

en.wikipedia.org...

I agree.

40 years of the FISA. They still have it.

And then there will always be Facebook, and Twitter.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: Aazadan
Well, Rand did it. I have to say, now I don't know what party I want to register with for a primary vote. Getting Sanders or Paul into the general election.

To bad there is ZERO chance of them BOTH being on the SAME ticket.

Now that I could vote for.

I think we should push that ...best of both worlds. Sanders/ Paul! Let's do this!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The loopholes exist on purpose, so that if there is a specific threat they need to tune into, they can conduct business, pretty much as usual. Well, with the kind of stuff that is going on, we actually need it, on the other hand, being included in surveillance because someone you met or rarely communicates with is tied to some bad things.. is problematic. They say they can tap out to 4 related contacts.

I am afraid that once the cat got out of the bag, the technical details involving exactly how this works, are most likely mind-boggling. I think it is here to stay, albeit in a slightly modified way.
edit on 1-6-2015 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

edit on 1-6-2015 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge
The only reason it was not voted back in was that the Republicans thought the new bill was to weak. I am sure they will come up with something outlandish.

Any new bill has to pass congress. Democrats are probably going to be opposed to it if they want to win in 2016, Obama can't pass it if he wants bipartisan TPP support. I think we're safe for awhile.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It seems that Facebook has taken advantage to poke legislators to encrypt Facebook mail with STARTTLS encryption . Provocation or do they complying to the needs of their customers ?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
You got to give Paul praise for standing up to the mainstream political puppets in the GOP and Democrats.

He probably lost any chance to get the GOP nod

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Statements like that again make me feel like I'm talking to a defeatist. Are you saying we should no longer even make attempts anymore just give up and roll over?

I hate this- a defeatist is someone who says "well # it, we can't win lets give up"

please don't mistake those of us who know votes and laws are worthless against this system as defeatists.

It's all got to be torn down to make a real difference. How does one completely deteriorate this system? It literally can not be done by anything less than a full scale revolt of the population- and as long as they get their 401k match contribution and pretzels on tuesdays the actual middle class (40-100k income) won't listen. the upper class doesn't care, and the lower class is too busy making next weeks bills to even pay attention.
I'm not a defeatist- but at this point and time, what can I do? If I take it upon myself to fight this system, I'll be immediately jailed, executed, or disappeared as a 'terrorist'.

As someone who is a true fan of freedom, all I can really do is keep my head down and wait to see what those idiots in charge do next to limit my freedoms.
if you think even for a moment that the failure to renew the patriot act keeps them from adding this post to their extensive database, then you're simply not paying attention.

Give this corrupt system a few more years, and this post will be criminal- hell, given all the holes they've punched in our rights already, it probably is criminal today.
How dare I question the authority.
I'll be strung up and have my tounge cut out, my fingers cut off, and be tortured to death for speaking against the "land of the free and the home of the brave"

defeatist my ass, I'm just watching out for number one. If I didn't have to worry about my own hide I'd have a lot more than speech to exercise freely.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Mark my words: Right now TPTB are still collecting data. They are still tapping phones. They are still collecting information about each and every one of us.

But good job people of the US. Everyone not aware could care less. Nothing will ever change. It is a lost cause. The people of the country are too comfortable. They're too accustomed to the freedom that's been "granted" to them by the government.

The military cannot help you. The government will not help you. The general public will not help you. Abandon all hope!

The US is lost due to apathy and uneducated students whom cannot name how a bill is passed.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Actually go check my first thread ever it explains it. But the majority of the people who replied were defeatist .

I hate this- a defeatist is someone who says "well # it, we can't win lets give up" please don't mistake those of us who know votes and laws are worthless against this system as defeatists

You have given up on any peaceable solution . And by definition when you give up you admit defeat i.e. the term defeatist .

Times have been far worse than this and we managed to make it out of it without the revolution .

Give this corrupt system a few more years, and this post will be criminal- hell, given all the holes they've punched in our rights already, it probably is criminal today. How dare I question the authority. I'll be strung up and have my tounge cut out, my fingers cut off, and be tortured to death for speaking against the "land of the free and the home of the brave"

That particular passage cracks me up . Do you want to know when I first heard a statement like that?

It was in the 70s but then we were all talking about the Trilateral Commission .

Idealistic children like me at the time were telling adults in a few more years . I guess in hindsight I should feel melancholy that it has completed the circle .

edit on 1-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: lordcomac

Actually go check my first thread ever it explains it. But the majority of the people who replied were defeatist .

Do you honestly, in the depths of your being, see anything changing?

We gather on this site. We complain about circumstances and what our governments are doing.

Do you see a change that will take place before we're all ensnared?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: beezzer
It'll pass because the cesspool that passes for DC won't relinquish power/authority/control for a second.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 ("FISA" Pub.L. 95–511, 92 Stat. 1783, 50 U.S.C. ch. 36) is a United States federal law which prescribes procedures for the physical and electronic surveillance and collection of "foreign intelligence information" between "foreign powers" and "agents of foreign powers" (which may include American citizens and permanent residents suspected of espionage or terrorism).[1] It has been repeatedly amended since the September 11 attacks.

en.wikipedia.org...

I agree.

40 years of the FISA. They still have it.

And then there will always be Facebook, and Twitter.

Yeah. I think there should be a party, celebrating its expiration, if it's true. But, I have to say, having tavelled internationally in the last ten years, all the securiy in Amsterdam. amd Istanbul airports, and in Dublin, was marked with a sign that it was per Homeland Security of the US……EVERYWHERE.f
Having said that. what is my objection?

Surely I wish to fly safely;…..I flew with my thirteen yr old daughter, and she was searched in Boston…..LOL

I want something different for all of us to live through…..is that so hard? It shouldn't be. Have there been positive results, aka the Patriot Act, like the Privacy Act. which gives all your information to the wrong people…..
Surely we can solve this. How do you like being watched, being Truman, has it improved anything for anyone?
edit on 2-6-2015 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

Link…."Privacy" Straight from the Justice Dept. itself. Warning: Clear the cookies on your comp after viewing, or not….lol We have that, and then we have THIS: Link….The Matrix cause just where we are is germaine to the issue at hand.

Good thread. Thanks, OP.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Yeah honestly I do. If we had a 90% plus voter turnout things would change . Vet the candidates at your local level stop the big money from getting in.

I'm sorry to jump ahead but the normal reply to this statement is . " The elections are rigged " to which my reply is " it's easier to rig and election with 50% then it is with 90% isn't it? "

Government changed in the 30s because of unions and in the 60s and the 70s we got out of the most repressive government we've ever been under McCarthyism .

But that's the problem with this generation they want instant gratification. They have no concept that nothing like this happens overnight.

But by not voting people give up any hope whatsoever and get locked in defeatist attitudes , Hell I think I will invent a new psychological term for it " voter Depression Related Election Phenomena " ( we can call it DERP for short) Lol

Edit ; I might have just entered a new term into the current lexicon ?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join