It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stack Rocks in a River? Illegal.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
There is another side to this, namely that creeks are fairly sensitive environments. Moving rocks exposes insects, mollusks and crustaceans along with amphibians and fish plus their eggs. Moving rocks releases sediment that further erodes water quality and oxygen content. Species that don't handle disturbances can be eradicated in one area of the creek.

Sure, I made rock dams as a kid and picked up rocks to see what was underneath many times. Some of my fondest childhood memories. But after growing up and learning how easily we disturb nature I began to reconsider what damage I had been doing. 2 guys riding motocross bikes through the creek behind my property had a hard time understanding why I was so pissed off at them until I showed them how they had destroyed the creek bank allowing it to flood. Sometimes we do things without thinking about how it will effect things around us.

A guy regularly stacking rocks in the creek is doing regular damage to a place he loves. He may want to find a different way to express himself.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Boulder police spokeswoman Kim Kobel today said that an officer did talk to Grab because he was concerned Grab was violating two city municipal codes: rolling or throwing rocks on public property and damaging public property.

The officer did not issue a ticket, and later consulted with the Boulder City Attorney's Office to find out whether the Grab's rock-stacking was a violation of the ordinances, and was told it was not.

In addition, Kobel said patrol officers have been made aware of the city's position on rock-stacking.

Boulder City Attorney Tom Carr also has sent letters of response to people who have been inquiring about the city's policy on rock-stacking.

"This situation arose out of legitimate concerns regarding the effect rock-stacking has on the natural state of Boulder Creek," Carr wrote. "An officer issued a warning, having been informed by my office that it would be possible to prosecute under two sections of the Boulder Code. On Tuesday, I reviewed those sections and decided that prosecution would not be possible.

"I asked the police not to cite anyone for stacking rocks and called the person in question and provided him with the same information on May 26.

"Any news report that you may have seen to the contrary was inaccurate."

www.dailycamera.com...
edit on 29-5-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If you want to stack rocks, you have to support the economy and buy rocks. But you aren't supposed to put rocks into a stream or river either.

Maybe people in the area like this guy for putting their town on the map and maybe his actions bring in tourists which support the local economy.

It's good that someone stepped up to the plate and stopped the cops from enforcing a law that was intended for other purposes.

It has always amazed me that we have to buy rocks. Think about it...BUY ROCKS?

It's a head shaking thing ain't it?

Jude

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
There is another side to this, namely that creeks are fairly sensitive environments. Moving rocks exposes insects, mollusks and crustaceans along with amphibians and fish plus their eggs. Moving rocks releases sediment that further erodes water quality and oxygen content. Species that don't handle disturbances can be eradicated in one area of the creek.

Sure, I made rock dams as a kid and picked up rocks to see what was underneath many times. Some of my fondest childhood memories. But after growing up and learning how easily we disturb nature I began to reconsider what damage I had been doing. 2 guys riding motocross bikes through the creek behind my property had a hard time understanding why I was so pissed off at them until I showed them how they had destroyed the creek bank allowing it to flood. Sometimes we do things without thinking about how it will effect things around us.

A guy regularly stacking rocks in the creek is doing regular damage to a place he loves. He may want to find a different way to express himself.

Yeah,

Large corporations and Govt. can change water ways, lakes, oceans, pollute them, dry them up, kill off the flora and fauna...destroy in the name of profit.

But stack a few on top of each other and it's law time. I get it now....we have to abide says the dude.

Jude

edit on 29-5-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

My wife wants to buy fake rocks to put around the chimney block in our dining room. There are so many interesting rocks around the yard that I could cut, but she thinks the ones at Menards look better. Some of the pieces of dinosaur bone would make great slabs, they have a neat looking matrix if you cut them. The only problem with those is that the ants like them.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
but its the government that brings in the ...
oh never mind

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I'm glad that Gravity Glue won this round. I enjoy his videos. I don't see any reason why stacking rocks should be a crime.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thisisfun2015

okay the 5-4-8 code is to not throw or roll rocks on public property
the 5-4-2 is damaging or altering public property without permission

this officer evidently knew his fat rule book very well yet decided to decipher the law in a silly way

I also find it amazing that this police officer knew these obscure rules, especially the one about throwing or rolling rocks on public property.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Well if this is a genuine reason to protect the environment from moving rocks (which will happen every time a big rain falls and the creek rises). Perhaps they should look at stopping pollution from farming like glyphosate and chemical fertilizers from running off into the waterways and destroying these same creatures....perhaps look at diverting runoff from roads like oil,rubber and the like.....

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Crazy crazy crazy, but after read some of what a moderator wrote I can understand some of the reason behind the silly law. This guys work reminded me of another amazing artist called Andy Goldsworthy please google him and check out his art works sorry I can't work out the whole link download thing but do check him out. a reply to: jude11

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: jude11

Is the problem is that there are laws about altering the flow of a stream in that area?

Nah, more like a cop can't stand to see someone having a good time without trying to screw it up.

If you're enjoying yourself, and he/she didn't permit it, then you're doing something outside of his control. And control is the A#1 priority. If something's happening outside his control, then he hasn't properly seized control of the situation. And that, my friend, is the very biggest reason for Not Going Home At The End Of My Shift®.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Yeah,

Large corporations and Govt. can change water ways, lakes, oceans, pollute them, dry them up, kill off the flora and fauna...destroy in the name of profit.

But stack a few on top of each other and it's law time. I get it now....we have to abide says the dude.

Jude

So are you arguing that since corporations and government can go around and screw up the environment that ordinary citizens should do the same? I do think the law or arresting someone over it is extreme. It sounds like we need more laws to keep corporations and government from messing things up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join