It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stack Rocks in a River? Illegal.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Someone posted a great thread on this guy a little while ago and everyone enjoyed it. But perhaps one cop got a link sent to him because of the attention garnered and thus got his bullet proof panties in a knot.

In a way I feel silly for having to post this because it's absolute insane. Illegal to balance rocks? Somebody please help me to understand what kind of insanity we have dropped into. And while you're at it please explain how this cop is even on the force? And then explain how it gathered momentum to the point of the artist needing support from others because common sense just isn't prevailing?

www.rawstory.com...
xrepublic.tv...

Michael Grab, a Boulder artist who goes by the name Gravity Glue, said that police threatened to ticket or jail him for creating stacked river rock sculptures that the community has been enjoying for years. In a Monday Facebook post, Grab explained that a Boulder police officer had informed him that there would be stiff penalties for continuing his art. “For the past 7 years i have been creating this art in and around Boulder, Colorado, USA. nearly every day!” he wrote. “[J]ust this weekend, one police officer has decided that balancing rocks in Boulder, Colorado is now illegal, obscurely referencing two city codes [5-4-8 and 5-4-2] about ‘destruction of public property’ in relation to rocks.”

So one cop wants to flex his might but what happens when the people stand and deliver?

“UPDATE:

holy #! maybe the support was more than i anticipated!!” he exclaimed. “[J]ust got a call from the city attorney personally here in Boulder telling me that he has ordered the police to NOT cite rock balancing under the city codes [I] mentioned below!!!” “THANK YOU everyone for the overwhelming support!!!! [T]hey must have gotten lots of calls!! haha
)”

What we have here is one small victory that not so long ago might have been something special. Is it important? Absolutely. Is it enough to change anything? Not even close.

My question is why does it take a rock stacker getting spanked to bring the people out to fight? Granted there are events World wide happening at this minute that are bringing out protests and people standing against the oppressors but the numbers are not enough or we would be seeing success instead of the curtains closing on freedoms and rights.

If this guy can win a small victory with the support of his neighbors then we can all win with the support of many neighbors because it's all relative IMO.

Jude

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Is the problem is that there are laws about altering the flow of a stream in that area? Was it his property, etc.
I think some of other folks beside the mentioned cop got their panties in a wad. It ain't its all free, folks, to feel free to do as you wish with property that isn't yours. (He was capitalizing of his fake art anyway.)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
We've got to tear down the establishment, it's criminally insane.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Is the problem is that there are laws about altering the flow of a stream in that area? Was it his property, etc.
I think some of other folks beside the mentioned cop got their panties in a wad. It ain't its all free, folks, to feel free to do as you wish with property that isn't yours. (He was capitalizing of his fake art anyway.)

um...it's rocks.

But I guess they call it destruction:

obscurely referencing two city codes about ‘destruction of public property’ in relation to rocks.”

If that's what you support, don't build a sand castle on shore.

jude

edit on 29-5-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

okay the 5-4-8 code is to not throw or roll rocks on public property
the 5-4-2 is damaging or altering public property without permission

this officer evidently knew his fat rule book very well yet decided to decipher the law in a silly way

I don't normally defend meanies but you gotta admit that was pretty cool he pulled such random laws out of his head on command, even if he did interpret the laws incorrectly or to be precise not what they were intended to prevent.

with that said, the artist prevailed here and everyone is happy but the officer who no doubt has to endure daily jokes around his precinct.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

This was my original thought too. I'm glad to see he got the issue resolved locally. I just hope those rivers or streams are not under Control of the Army Corps of Engineers. Because there are federal laws about diverting waterways.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

My brother and I built a makeshift dam on a little creek once.

It went from knee deep to over chest deep.

Attracted everyone in town.

Even a bicycle officer stopped to tell us we had made a really nice swimming hole in the park.

I guess I must be a Nazi by some estimates.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thisisfun2015

okay the 5-4-8 code is to not throw or roll rocks on public property
the 5-4-2 is damaging or altering public property without permission

this officer evidently knew his fat rule book very well yet decided to decipher the law in a silly way

I don't normally defend meanies but you gotta admit that was pretty cool he pulled such random laws out of his head on command, even if he did interpret the laws incorrectly or to be precise not what they were intended to prevent.

with that said, the artist prevailed here and everyone is happy but the officer who no doubt has to endure daily jokes around his precinct.

Sorry nothing cool about a cop being a douche!

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

This was my original thought too. I'm glad to see he got the issue resolved locally. I just hope those rivers or streams are not under Control of the Army Corps of Engineers. Because there are federal laws about diverting waterways.

I just can't see how a few stones piled on top of each other is diverting any flow. Those laws are for digging a trench and changing direction of the flow.

If that's the case, I guess a kid on shore skipping a rock across the water is a criminal as well.

jude

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The boulder community acts like California...AND it's where "Soldier OF Fortune Mgazine" is published...they hate that.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: Greathouse

I just can't see how a few stones piled on top of each other is diverting any flow. Those laws are for digging a trench and changing direction of the flow.

If that's the case, I guess a kid on shore skipping a rock across the water is a criminal as well.

jude

I understand your opinion and I agree with it.

I'm just pointing out the reasons they may use.

You might remember a year or so ago. There was a thread that was posted on most conspiracy sites.
It was about a guy that lived off the grid and used a water powered generator. I don't remember if it was the Army Corps of Engineers or Bureau of land management that forced him to remove it for obstructing waterways.

edit on 29-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
When our most basic enjoyments in life are questioned by authorities and when our leaders attempt to tell us we can't even have the simple things of beauty to behold in fellowship with others, THAT IS WHEN we grab our oaken stick and get really upset.

They do so much worse to us everyday, but when they do the above, watch out!

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I have seen its not only small rock formations he does, he also does big ones over size of adult man.. those can be dangerous specially for smaller children. I don´t believe his smaller experiments would lead to that decision.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Piling rocks in a small area will not stay or alter any waterway, a good deluge will move anything he's built. Just some dumb cop trying to play "i am the Law". Some things will never change. It took the annoyance of flooding City Hall with a barrage of phone calls to get this simpleton off his back. Chalk one up for the little guys! Don't forget the Bundy Ranch incident, some good support there.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Illegal in Boulder

It is illegal to permit one's llama to graze on city property.
Boulders may not be rolled on city property.
Couches may not be placed on outside porches.
It is legal to challenge a police officer, but only until he or she asks you to stop.

In Denver

It is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.

www.dumblaws.com...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
He should stack rocks all the way around the cops house.

With the help of some locals with big machinery, he could stack some pretty hefty one's so the cop can't get out of his home to enforce stupidity on citizens. lol

Or just gravity glue one to his face.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SilentE
He should stack rocks all the way around the cops house.

With the help of some locals with big machinery, he could stack some pretty hefty one's so the cop can't get out of his home to enforce stupidity on citizens. lol

Or just gravity glue one to his face.

Yup, if you're gonna stack rocks you might as well make the art functional as well.

Jude

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If you want to stack rocks, you have to support the economy and buy rocks. But you aren't supposed to put rocks into a stream or river either.

Maybe people in the area like this guy for putting their town on the map and maybe his actions bring in tourists which support the local economy.

It's good that someone stepped up to the plate and stopped the cops from enforcing a law that was intended for other purposes.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wow. How do those things stay upright? Amazement aside, I see how some of those things could be dangerous if left unattended.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Damn...that is crazy. I hope that some cop wasn't surfing ATS and saw my thread on this guy and decided to mess with him. I would feel really bad about that. His work is amazing. The stupidity of some laws and some LEO's these days....really....nothing better to do than to mess with someone trying to bring some happiness to people and doing something inspiring to most?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join