It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Least Two Subway Riders Have Been Arrested for Man-Spreading

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So ... wait. You're saying my husband could be arrested in New York for packing along his backpack that has his work laptop and various other accoutrements needed to get both him and our son to his job and our son's daycare?

Only if he puts it on the seat next to him.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

So wait, now it's about feminism? Is there no end to the whining? Do you really think any females on the train complained? Were the cops female? Come on, even the female Judge expressed skepticism.

Doesn't matter. I'm not saying all women are feminists, at least not the kind that wrote the stuff in the link I posted.

I was talking about the whole 'Mansitting" thing in general. It's a concept and an idea that came out of feminism. Those who discuss feminism in the media, you know, the loud mouth ones that don't represent 90% of women but somehow think they do, are the ones who perpetrate these idiocies.

That and the SJW Tumblr crowd. If you read the article I posted, it may just be a joke, but those are all real things that a large group of feminists think is a real thing.

~Tenth

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That was going to be My Question. Well rather I was going to mention that fat people take up more space and there fore can be ticketed for that?! If My Nads take up more space than the next person, well that's just the way it is. What a freakin messed up world anymore...( DING DING! I want off this Ride at the next Stop Please!!) What a Freakin Joke...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You cannot be serious. The link is a woman making fun of the very idea of man-spreading and similar "affronts" even being a thing. Satire: not real.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is unreal, never knew it's a thing...with a name. Man spreading, sounds kinky

Sometimes on a bus or a train i like to sit next to a man who seems cool and then if he does spread his legs a bit i do it too and our knee area touches each other. And then i wait, never retreat my legs first and watch the man in question slowly become aware and shy and red faced (or not) Makes a long trip much more interesting.

So, who do you think is a bigger feminist, me or the crazy lady who came up with this 'issue' . The world is just going mad.

edit on 29-5-2015 by Exitt because: .

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
You cannot be serious. The link is a woman making fun of the very idea of man-spreading and similar "affronts" even being a thing. Satire: not real.

But if you look at comment streams on New York Times and similar, you see comments going back and forth between people complaining about men sitting with too wide a stance and women who have stinky perfume or huge bags and taking up too much space.

My thoughts?

The New York City mass transit is too crowded in general, so everyone blames everyone else for it.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I wish I was kidding. Go read Jezebel and a variety of other pro feminist websites and you'll see that it's a real conversation.

I now believe that some of those men I had raged against had probably genuinely not noticed how much space they were taking up. That’s the thing about privilege: It can be mighty blind.

Source

It's considered Alpha behavior and a display of dominance or power.

~Tenth

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

So wait, now it's about feminism?

No, he only said that the term "man spreading" was invented by feminists.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I get that. Just not accepting Tenth's link as supporting his argument but more poking fun at it.

Anyone can be an annoying "spreader". Or stink.

Similar to you, I just think that anywhere you cram people together, there will be problems.

This issue here, in my mind, isn't a social or cultural one - it's that we allow these petty issues to be criminalized. Where does it end? When we're all in jail, paying the police state for our own incarceration?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I was talking about the whole 'Mansitting" thing in general. It's a concept and an idea that came out of feminism. Those who discuss feminism in the media, you know, the loud mouth ones that don't represent 90% of women but somehow think they do, are the ones who perpetrate these idiocies.

I must agree with you. It wasn't a man who came up with the concept and name of Man -spreading. It was a woman, she must be insane because most of us are kind and harmless and we don't feel like you (men) take up too much space at all.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Oh, you're talking about Third Wave Feminism - the feminism that's left after most of the big battles have been fought. I think I saw a group of them who were calling all sex rape and attempted murder, even consensual, because it could possibly lead to pregnancy and childbirth which could possibly lead to death.

There is some whacko stuff from Third Wave Feminists.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Being a verbose and opinionated individual who has no qualms about oversharing on any and all levels - there is not much that leaves me at a total loss for words.

THIS just made the short list.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Feminism aside, this thread was posted in the Posse Comitatus forum. The OP posed the question as to whether NY criminalizing such a trivial thing and NYPD enforcing it was simply to circumvent the ban on "stop and frisk". Yet we have two pages of whining about evil feminist and man junk.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Oh, you're talking about Third Wave Feminism - the feminism that's left after most of the big battles have been fought. I think I saw a group of them who were calling all sex rape and attempted murder, even consensual, because it could possibly lead to pregnancy and childbirth which could possibly lead to death.

There is some whacko stuff from Third Wave Feminists.

That would be them.

The whole, Looking at me is ' eye rape ' crowd. They are also the group of people who say stuff like " don't call your pets by him or her, because they can't express their gender identity to you and that's wrong"

*mind blown*

It's too bad, because they could be tackling the REAL issues that are facing women these days, like you know, all the murder and oppression in other countries, the wage gap (whats left of it) and a variety of other issues.

~Tenth

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

It is crazy to criminalize this.

I can understand a ticket for a really crowded place where you are obviously causing seating issues, but that's the limit and you'd have to really be trying to upset people.

~Tenth

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Trying to figure out where the offense came from, and why it isn't simple a ban on all spreading in general, just "manspreading" as if men are somehow more prone to it than women.

You would think that women are just as prone to be criminal as men.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

My point is that we're busy bickering man vs. woman / woman vs. man while - in reality - it's the CorpGov vs. Citizens. God, they must love that.

Wedge issues only benefit the PTB because we expend our energies fighting with each other instead of safeguarding our freedoms from the ever encroaching Big Brother/Police State/Nanny State.

edit on 5/29/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

How CAN you put feminism aside when such a law exists in NY? That surely means women complained about man-spreading otherwise it would be called just spreading or taking up space or whatever.

If there was a law about woman-spreading wouldn't you feel offended?

Reminds me of twitter going crazy today about a picture of JayZ and his all white co-worker office. So many whites - that ain't right. Right?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

You really misunderstood my post if that's your takeaway. No being rude most definitely not limited to men.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Exitt

Actually it's not dubbed any name by law, that's just what locals call it. Because: bro culture vs. feminists.

1050.7 (j)

web.mta.info...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join