It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The biggest photograph in the world: Interactive 365 gigapixel photograph of Mont Blanc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The biggest photograph in the world of Mont Blanc, super detailed zoomable image.

Link

The biggest photograph in the world: Interactive 365 gigapixel image lets you zoom in to Mont Blanc and see individual climbers

Image required 35 hours of continuous shooting to capture the 70,000 pictures that make up the portrait

Gigantic panorama of Europe's highest peak and world's 11th tallest mountain, Mont Blanc

Resulting image would be as large as a football pitch if printed out at 300dpi

Italian photographer Filippo Blengini said the in2white project was inspired by the mountain itself.
'We just wished to represent it as it shows to our eyes : major beauty, astonishing magnitude, pure elation,' he said.
'We were brave, crazy and ambitious enough to think about a gigapanoramic picture, to seize every single detail of the mountain.'
The five-strong team spent two weeks in late 2014 at an altitude of 3500 metres (11,500 feet) enduring -10°C temperatures.
Using a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 II IS, a Canon 70D DSLR and a Canon Extender 2X III on a special robotic mount, they captured 70,000 photographs in every direction over 35 hours of shooting.
The project also plans to return to the area and add two more panoramas from different angles.
It will also allow users to add climbing tracks to the image, and even allow climbers to identify themselves in it.
'We wish to carry on our experience about the Mount Blanc, offering you more features and enthusiastic vision,' the team said.

Post-processing and stitching the 46 terabytes afterwards took two months, and the resulting image would be as large as a football pitch if printed out at 300dpi.
The phographers worked with Canon, Sandisk and other technical firms to complete the image, using robotic mounts to automatically capture the shots to be stitched together.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... imbers.html#ixzz3bIMskfnB

edit on 26-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
30 odd years ago, a young 10 year old me went on a family holiday. My mum had won the trip and it was the first time out of my state, let alone Australia. We visited distant relatives in England, then toured across Europe on the trains. Anyway, we took a scenic train ride that took us up and into (literally through ice caves) Mont Blanc. When we reached the top a frozen little me looked out.
In all my years, I have never seen the sky such a deep blue, so strong. And that stark blue poured in between all the snowy and rocky mountain peaks. The Earth was so majestical to me that day. I've never felt so small in such a massive world of beauty. That moment and those feelings I wish people could feel when they get so worked up about the littlest things in life.

No matter how many gigapixels (which is astonishing by the way) are available to our peepers, the power of rocky crust pressing up and into those endless skies will never be the same as being there. But it certainly floods the memories back for me, thank you for posting

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I really enjoy these gigapix zoom-ins, thank you for sharing this link. Will zoom around it soon. And Qumulys' post above mine, what a nice memory, thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Thanks for this, OP! Here's one of London. I could spend hours looking at these.

BT Tower 360 Panorama

soulwaxer

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Cool picture, too bad the website and method of navigation is as screwy as hell.
I had to just close it out of frustration.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Nice pic....i was lucky enough a couple of years ago to have a week at les arcs which is a club med in the french alps,everyday snowboarding down the mountain facing mt blanc,lunch and breakfast with picture perfect views of the mountain.....ah that brings back some memories....

When you are there looking at it in person,it looks just like a picture,the contrast of white and blue is just amazing......anyone who has a chunk of spare change i would recommend a visit...

www.lesarcsnet.com...
edit on 27-5-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
These are awesome, i've seen one from Tokyo but could not find it just now.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Thanks for sharing your story. Mont Blanc is certainly awesome. I too am inspired by the wonder and beauty of nature and as an artist would love to paint Mont Blanc someday, the atmosphere there is almost celestial and the colours super vivid.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: snowen20

Similar experience here, I will look for a better source.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So cool! I love these! I loved the Nepal one, spent ages zooming around when that one came out!

here is a better link for it, that dailymail one was irritating me! Better view here

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bkaust

Thanks, that's better.

I keep zooming to this building /rocket shaped antenna of sorts, I am intrigued as to it's purpose. it looks like something from the set of a 60's sci-fi movie.

top topics

join