It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Wrongs Do Not Make A Right!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I read an article the other day (honestly can't remember the source, MAY have been cracked, but it's irrelevant.) and came across what I viewed as a "Universal Truth". Something so TRUE it just jumped off the page at you. Hopefully I convey it right and me hyping intro won't blunt it. :p

When we hear that a child molester is captured and thrown in jail. We all say we hope and know he will be raped in jail. Thinking it will even the score.

Rapist 1 vs. 1 Humanity

However, in reality it's,

Rapists 2 vs. Humanity 0

If the whole point is to reduce or eradicate rape. Then you can't be condo wing rape in any circumstance. There is no socital gain for rape, no matter the instance.

That said I'm pro death penalty because there is no need to pay for monsters who we all know can never be released. You don't torture them tho. You put them down like a rabid dog. Grenade to the temple or some other cheap effiecient (prob messy) way.

By torturing them we are raising the sum total of torture in the world. Which is the opposite of what we were going for in the first place.

THE ONLY TIME I can imagaine torture being logical and a net gain for society is the EXTREMELY rare case when a kidnapper has some one buried alive or you KNOW they have a bomb.

Torture when your just trolling for imformation or for vengeance.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Very true. I completely agree with that philosophy; I'ts actually the way I tend to look at the death sentence as well. If we were to judge killing based solely on societal norms and values, it would be considered extremely wrong. So, then why is it a form of punishment. Same philosophy in my opinion.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It is likely because people really want the perpetrator to really understand what it is they put the victim through. How could you rape someone? Well, if you were raped, then maybe you would understand what it is that you've done.

I'm not making any comments about it one way or the other, only explaining where I'm thinking the impulse springs from.

It goes with the idea of walk a mile in their shoes ...

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

I've always been bothered by those comments too. Sort of like people have a wandering moral compass or something.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Voyaging
Very true. I completely agree with that philosophy; I'ts actually the way I tend to look at the death sentence as well. If we were to judge killing based solely on societal norms and values, it would be considered extremely wrong. So, then why is it a form of punishment. Same philosophy in my opinion.

I think of it as more of a false equivilancy. We are so worried about exacting vengeance that we are glorifying another rapist getting his rocks off.its hurting ourselves to hurt the offender. When there is no need to hurt our selves in the first place.

See I think the death penalty is needed. Not to scare off potential offenders ( that's ridiculous, any substantial amount of time does the same thing.) .

To REMOVE THEM FROM THE EQUASION!

Only to be used when DNA and/or video confirms it, but use it on all the TRUELY mosterous people we all agree can never be let go.

Also we need to be using military weaponry to execute. We lethal inject and electrocute for US!!! We should be using explosives or a granade.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'll ask you this:

If there were a way to take all the horrific memories straight from the victim and put them into the rapist, would you go for it?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'll ask you this:

If there were a way to take all the horrific memories straight from the victim and put them into the rapist, would you go for it?

Don't really see a reason. I would removed the victims memories, if they wanted, unless the procedure required me memories transferred to the rapist ( and I can't imagaine a process that would.) .

Rape is a very broad term today. So there is no blanket fix.

For all the PROVEN premeditated rapists who went out specifically to rape someone or any adult who rapes a child. I would sentence them to death. Grenade duck taped to the temple. 100% painless, 100% instantaneous , 100% effective.

For the more grey area sexual charges and ones we know don't deserve death or life inprisonment we HAVE to start focusing on rehabilitation first. Simply because they WILL be released one day.

Presently we send people to jail for crimes (some who's laws are questionable to begine with) and put them in a concrete box that makes the vast majority WORSE then when they came in. People we all know we are going to let go!!!!

Of course prison is a deterrent for crime! But only up to a point....

The someone who decides to commit an act that risks 30 years in prison. Would still risk 40, would still risk 59, would risk death. Because 30 years is the majority of your life anyway!! The difference between 1 day and 1 week will make people refrain. The difference between 1 month and 1 year will have an effect. The difference between 1year and 5 years will stop some people on the fence......

But literally NO one in the history of the world ever was like

" you know man I was down to do 50 years in jail, but the sentence is 75!! Screw this I'm going home!"

No one.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I'll ask you this:

No - and simply because you can't solve one persons suffering by making the perpertrator suffer (and the perpertrator might in fact enjoy it).

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

The point isn't so much about making the perpetrator suffer. It's about wanting them to understand what they did and make them empathize to realize it was wrong because I think most right-minded people can't understand how anyone could do that to another human being.

So the logical following thought is that if the person who did it really understood, truly empathized they wouldn't be able to do it or they would feel real remorse for what they'd done.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The point isn't so much about making the perpetrator suffer. It's about wanting them to understand what they did and make them empathize to realize it was wrong because I think most right-minded people can't understand how anyone could do that to another human being.

So the logical following thought is that if the person who did it really understood, truly empathized they wouldn't be able to do it or they would feel real remorse for what they'd done.

People know how wrong rape and torture is the just find a way to justify it. I don't think it helps.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

I understand the desire for vengence; but it has no place in our hearts. For the truly psychopathic and the like we separate them from society but we don't torture them - they will have to live with what they've done.

Truly we've all done horrible things, in this life or another, but through the example of worthier beings we learned not to treat others as objects and have compassion.

Be grateful that you aren't that rapist.

People know how wrong rape and torture is the just find a way to justify it. I don't think it helps.

It's not a justificaton in any way - it is compassion.

As it is said "an eye for an eye" just makes everyone blind. And it the real world, just escalates the conflict and proides no means of healing for the victim and just reinforces to the perpertrator that Force is the only way.
edit on 20-5-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: Entreri06

I understand the desire for vengence; but it has no place in our hearts. For the truly psychopathic and the like we separate them from society but we don't torture them - they will have to live with what they've done.

Truly we've all done horrible things, in this life or another, but through the example of worthier beings we learned not to treat others as objects and have compassion.

Be grateful that you aren't that rapist.

It's not a justificaton in any way - it is compassion.

As it is said "an eye for an eye" just makes everyone blind. And it the real world, just escalates the conflict and proides no means of healing for the victim and just reinforces to the perpertrator that Force is the only way.

Most of the truely criminally insane people can't feel compassion. Also ALOT of rapists were molested as children. It didn't make them empathize with there victim.

Nice thought, and might work on you or me.but not on the kinda people I think we should be executing.

top topics

join