It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan pyramid bulldozed by road construction firm

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is super fcked up

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEMOK
This is super fcked up

Amen..I absolutely agree. The responsables for this act should be punished.

This happened in Spain, in Tarragona, when they were digging the foundations of a new block of flats.
They didn't have permission to be digging foundations where they were digging.
The workers found roman ruins, a couple of tombs with the remains of two bodies.
They didn't report the find because it would have brought to light the fact they were building illegaly.

Instead of inform the authorities, they smashed the tombs and reburied the bones in a common grave and the rest of the tombs was buried under concrete.

They're fácing heavy fines and three years jail time.
edit on AM7Sun20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Well obviously, the road will draw more revenue than any historical monument. Prior to this they cut down an old growth forest to make way for the hiway. I bet the roads primary traffic will be oil and mining trucks.

Lets the destroy the world.

You do understand that man created that monument in the first place right?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

Well obviously, the road will draw more revenue than any historical monument. Prior to this they cut down an old growth forest to make way for the hiway. I bet the roads primary traffic will be oil and mining trucks.

The point is nothing is sacred anymore, amorality rules the day. International law, sovereignty, human rights the environment, whatever…

Bulldozed.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TEMOK

I'm sure all the spirits of those who were raped and murdered for sacrifice to the Gods don't mind it being torn down. I wonder how many ancient structures the Mayans tore down when building their structures. I wonder how sad I would be if 3,500 years from now civilization tore down an ancient McDonalds. In the big scheme of things history will be written and erased many times over. Humans have been around for 100,000's of years and we barely have 1% of that history because civilizations rise and fall on top of old civilizations that rise and fall. Its the life cycle of history.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Now, those terrorist needs to be stopped! Where's the freedom when they need one? Meh ...

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Going to play devils advocate for a minute here.

This structure was in very poor shape and was falling apart just from time and weather. Even without man's help, it was going to crumble anyway.

Are we so concerned about preserving our past that we cannot tear down the old and dilapidated, to build for the future?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm beginning to get a little pissed. I went looking for resolution of this matter of two years ago. I cannot find one single article outside of the original time when this was posted.

It's like the news/academia mentioned it once and completely dropped. I seriously doubt a difference can be made unless a bigger outrage is hurt ,,,,,,,...oh,,,,,,,.,, and a little jail time handed out.

Academia in the US/Mexico appear to have become a bunch of useless eltiists who're only workign to secure themselves carreers. So not only the Belize government and those idiotic, barbaric contractors are the cause, but also the systemic, rampant carelessness and cynicism in the academic milieus.

You realize it would take only a bunch of anthropology profs and students from just one major US university to move there for a while and picket around this place, and the Belize government would be FORCED to stop the insanity. But none of the academics are moving their a$$es.

Useless liberal tools and spoiled brats they are.
edit on 17/5/15 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

If you thought ISIS or the Taliban were the only ones destroying ancient monuments and our cultural heritage, you would be wrong.

The situation is disgusting. Not new, but abhorrent.

Thanks for the heads up. F&S&

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What a terrible thing to do and I thought these historical places were secured by the law.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Keshia
What a terrible thing to do and I thought these historical places were secured by the law.

Belize didn't care about this pyramid. I look at it this way, while it's nice to keep some artifacts from the past around to remind us of who we were, we shouldn't be afraid to use past structures to meet todays needs. There's nothing wrong with a bit of recycling.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I remember flying over yucatan many years ago and seeing LOTS of ruins out in the middle of the jungle with no roads or settlements nearby mostly low rectangular platforms. i am not sure if it's the same in Belieze, but it's possilbe there are a lot of these structures around and bulldozing one may not seem like a big deal to them.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

The point is nothing is sacred anymore, amorality rules the day. International law, sovereignty, human rights the environment, whatever…

Bulldozed.

Not a real issue.

EVERY major city is built on the foundation of an older city. The Colosseum in Rome was almost 100% complete until the Pope decided to build the Vatican and tore down parts of it to build the Vatican. All that marble you see on the outside? Use to be part of the Colosseum.

We SHOULD strive to keep examples of the historical cities/ buildings preserved, but keep EVERY one? As much as I would like to in theory, reality is that we live in the present and history is dead. I'm a historian by training and it has taken me years to understand this. None of the great cities of Europe would be there now if people had though to keep every historic site though history.

Imagine not having the Vatican because they decided not to use parts of the Colosseum to build it. Imagine not having some of the great works of the master artist because they decided not to reuse some of the canvases that already had paintings on them. Imagine not having London because they decided not to build over the Roman city that was there.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

As much as I would like to in theory, reality is that we live in the present and history is dead.

In that case lets open the prisons and let all the criminals go, tear up the constitution, and pave paradise to put up a parking lot… tee hee

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Good call on the rage check but I'm still raging. That's just cruel. It's a friggin travesty. For a road. Humans are the most absurdly egotistical self important creatures sometimes. Only species on the planet that can't take a hint from nature and tailors a living environment to capital and pseudo aesthetic purposes with no regards for the holistic system at work. Just because something isn't pretty, or seemingly useful to a human doesn't mean that it's intrinsic value is any less and our history, what limited sites of anthropologic significance are important to help us progress to a more sustainable culture. This *pave it til it breaks* attitude is going to be embarrassing to look back on provided this species lasts long enough to reconsider it.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

As much as I would like to in theory, reality is that we live in the present and history is dead.

In that case lets open the prisons and let all the criminals go, tear up the constitution, and pave paradise to put up a parking lot… tee hee

We are already doing all of those things. Welcome to the new world.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

We are already doing all of those things. Welcome to the new world.

Nothing new about empires building it all up and then tearing it all down. Google "ruins".

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Bulldozed.

Like our liberties and rights - basically dictated by the lower of the low and the corrupt of the corrupt, yet we are treated as the criminals, not they who break the law, basically non-stop.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackboxInquiry

Yep. Suddenly, the system is back to front, all the safeguards are removed, the thugs and corrupt are in charge.

Our crime becomes standing up to injustice, speaking out about corruption, refusing to go along with 'The Program'.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

a reply to: BlackboxInquiry

Yep. Suddenly, the system is back to front, all the safeguards are removed, the thugs and corrupt are in charge.

Our crime becomes standing up to injustice, speaking out about corruption, refusing to go along with 'The Program'.

Agreed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join