It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan pyramid bulldozed by road construction firm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Mayan pyramid bulldozed by road construction firm

Belize pyramid dating back at least 2,300 years is destroyed by firm to extract crushed rock for road-building project

(photo: A digger claws away at the sloping sides of the Mayan pyramid in Belize. Photograph: Jaime Awe/AP)

Check your pulse. High-blood pressure? Stop reading and go for a stroll. Take a hot bath. Put on some light jazz. Do no proceed.

A construction company has essentially destroyed one of Belize's largest Mayan pyramids with diggers and bulldozers to extract crushed rock for a road-building project, authorities have announced.

The head of the Belize Institute of Archaeology, Jaime Awe, said on Tuesday that the destruction at the Nohmul complex in northern Belize was detected late last week. The ceremonial centre dates back at least 2,300 years and is the most important site in northern Belize, near the border with Mexico.

If you thought ISIS or the Taliban were the only ones destroying ancient monuments and our cultural heritage, you would be wrong.
edit on 16-5-2015 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Sickening and sad, this has happened throughout history from ancient Roman ruins to the 1800s and the mound builders in the Ohio Valley. Temples and ancient structures being destroyed for building material it seems like we would have learned by now.

Edit; Does anyone else remember this happening a few years ago? In the same area of the world.
edit on 16-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

Edit edit; Nope answered that question myself it's the same pyramid. Here's a 2013 article.

One of the oldest and most famous Mayan pyramids has been destroyed by a construction company in Belize, while digging for crushed rock for a road they were building.

source RT

edit on 16-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Well obviously, the road will draw more revenue than any historical monument. Prior to this they cut down an old growth forest to make way for the hiway. I bet the roads primary traffic will be oil and mining trucks.

Lets the destroy the world.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I was researching to see what resolution became of this. I actually groaned when I ran across this statement.

BELIZE CITY – The penalty for the near-total destruction of one of the biggest Mayan pyramids in Belize -- which the government called "unforgivable" and left archaeologists speechless -- may leave conservationists speechless: just $5,000.

source

lots of info and links

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Since this happened in 2013, does anybody have current pictures of the area?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Since this happened in 2013, does anybody have current pictures of the area?

Scroll down in here.

Don't know how recent these are, just different angles…

edit on 16-5-2015 by intrptr because: additonal

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm beginning to get a little pissed. I went looking for resolution of this matter of two years ago. I cannot find one single article outside of the original time when this was posted.

It's like the news/academia mentioned it once and completely dropped. I seriously doubt a difference can be made unless a bigger outrage is hurt ,,,,,,,...oh,,,,,,,.,, and a little jail time handed out.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Wow Deja vu, no wait, either this is old or they are destroying another Mayan pyramid in Belize.

ETA: check the link, it's from 2013. I almost had a heart attack thinking they were doing it again.
edit on 16-5-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
There are some before and after pics in this article:

No More Noh Mul? Contractor Bulldozes Mayan Temple
(ambergriscaye.com)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm beginning to get a little pissed. I went looking for resolution of this matter of two years ago. I cannot find one single article outside of the original time when this was posted.

It's like the news/academia mentioned it once and completely dropped. I seriously doubt a difference can be made unless a bigger outrage is hurt ,,,,,,,...oh,,,,,,,.,, and a little jail time handed out.

If I remember correctly it was on private property and the owner wanted to extend farmland. Belize wouldn't, couldn't or didn't want to make it a National Heritage site so the owner would be assed out had he not hired a contractor to remove it. To be used .....for the farm. Not saying I agree or correct, that's just from my foggy memory.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Well obviously, the road will draw more revenue than any historical monument.

With a tiny little bit more money and effort they could have both! The mountains are full of rock!

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I remember it the same way. But I do remember that Belize has control over all the ruins whether on private property or not.

But honestly I'd like to see what became of it who got in trouble what the penalties were if any. I've been looking I can't find anything after 2013.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I'm starting to get the feeling there is a modern day agenda to destroy certain aspects of ancient history, by destroying any chance of excavating the ruins any further than what has already been done.

Something similar has happened at Cahokia in Illinois a few times. Once in the 60's I think it was, and also in 2007. Cahokia is considered America's Stonehenge, or "Woodhenge".

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Yep. This is old news from 2013. I think there were threads and posts on it then right here. Would have to search it out...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Total nutballs!

Archive picture from RT,

edit on 16-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
If I remember correctly it was on private property and the owner wanted to extend farmland

There must be something badly wrong with farmland markets in Belize. Surely there should have been a buyer for that pyramid for a sum little over the farmland price. A foreigner if not a local.

The same happened to Greek antique buildings a few hundreds of years ago. Some building stones was sold to english aristocrats. They are now in the British museum. Rest were used as building stones to make a prosperous future for the country.
edit on 16-5-2015 by TroojrykJedmi because: Minor typos

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TroojrykJedmi

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
If I remember correctly it was on private property and the owner wanted to extend farmland

There must be something badly wrong with farmland markets in Belize. Surely there should have been a buyer for that pyramid for a sum little over the farmland price. A foreigner if not a local.

The same happened to Greek antique buildings a few hundreds of years ago. Some building stones was sold to english aristocrats. They are now in the British museum. Rest were used as building stones to make a prosperous future for the country.

Yes, that was the Elgin Marbles, an act of snobbish vandalism if ever there was one!
en.wikipedia.org...

The stones were removed from the Acropolis and the Parthenon by Lord Elgin. It would be a magnanimous act for Britain to simply give them back and reinstalled as part of the restorations there.

edit on 16-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Someone brought up Cahokia. I live in St. Louis, the Cahokia situation is bleak. One mound was destroyed to build a store that is now closed and vacant. We still have a few mounds around, but most have been razed.

www.landmarks-stl.org...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well now you get their reset to 0 button. Its not a literal wipe, its them, trying to demolish all the ancient knowledge and create their own lies instead.

I'll repeat this: No one would do this kind of thing if there was a cosmic reset button coming. There isn't an actual reset, its THEM. So now we have to act accordingly and get rid of their BS.
edit on 16-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
maybe it got in the way of a new resort town

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join