It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky ‘free range’ family loses custody of 10 kids over apparent ‘unschooling’

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posteWd by: Sillyolme
Mostly it's get the kid through the day. Get him to twelfth grade and kick them to the curb.

So far I've been very impressed with the new Common Core standards.

We're only in first grade, and its hard. I have to get on the net and research to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'm in a good district, higher income, they don't allow class disruption. But, I've had parents complain to me that if the teachers were doing their job, there would be no homework. They're complaining because they have to take the time to work with their kid, because its too hard for them to do on their own.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

We always made the homework part of the school day. Come home and before they get completely out of school mode by tv or friends homework was to be done. Then tv or friends. We just made it a rule. Like no toys in the living room. It quickly became the norm.

Are you home schooling someone?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: Annee

they are living similar to nearly half the human population on Earth. In fact they still live better because they own a business and still have services rendered for the taxes they pay.

This is just more government overreach to intimidate others against self empowerment and independent living. The only way to monopolize energy and food production, they have to make sure there is always a demand from EVERYONE for it. The more people go off grid or independent , the more revenue they lose. So they take every case they can find where someone tries to live like the other half of the human population of Earth and shove that fist so far up they hope the next generation can feel it and think twice about self empowerment.

I'm going to be the devils advocate, ok. No offense because I like your angle. I'm definitely not a orthodoxy/science worshipper. I don't like liberals in general. I really dont like people who swallow whatever the experts give them. Don't take what I say below personally.

What if putting a child in public schools sets them up to be more empowered and thus have a more productive life? Being "free" isn't all that good if you don't have any money or skills applicable in hte modern economy, right? If you live like the poorest do, such as off hte grid, you're being starved of knowledge and resources. In the best circumstances you might own the land and do your own farming and fishing and make your own clothes and care for your familiy and live in a village. You may feel free, but you'll also experience high infant death and if anyone is ill or sick they're immediately dependent on modern hospitials or they die. Is that really free, or just the illusion of freedom?

I watched a video about a "free" people living somewhere in the asian or middle eastern world. They make their clothes and do lots of things on their own. HOWEVER, they still use modern things like hospitals and so on. They even wear modern clothes too, despite making some of them. Many of hteir babies and children die. Their lives are shorter than in developing countries. They might find some enjoyment in their "freedom", but it's hard won.

Your definition of freedom is a lot less sexy in reality. The reason government and public school exist--as well as other instutions--is because they're beneficial and enrich our lives, allowing us to do things we couldn't before.
edit on 5/16/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: EternalSolace

Yeah, that's rather disturbing.
*shakes head* Will be very interesting to see this family get ripped to shreds by 'the system.' NOT in a good way. In a time-to-revolt way.

All tyranny ends in a revolt. It just depends on how many
hot buttons the RAND computer will let you hit per minute.
One day their computer model will be as wrong as they are...
with also predictable results the revisionists have been hiding too.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

oh I am not in favor of killing the DOE because I want to end public schooling. I want it gone because it is a Federal bureaucracy that has actually made schooling more difficult and complicated, the academic scores overall in the nation have gone down since it was established, and it holds states hostage to unwanted or criminal policy reforms with its Federal funding. I went to public school, and so do my kids. So did my spouse. And my whole family. I love public school.

But The Fed likes to be a extortionist to states, and its DOE is the thug. States should all adjust their budgets from now on without the Mafias silver. The we can laugh off their threats and move on with life.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join