It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky ‘free range’ family loses custody of 10 kids over apparent ‘unschooling’

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Parents need to be involved in their kids education either way.

Parents using schools as babysitters is the fault of the parent.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Parents need to be involved in their kids education either way.

Parents using schools as babysitters is the fault of the parent.

All I'm saying is I've seen much worse "on the grid", in a society where standards are low and children are put through programs and designs to keep them dependant to become energy slaves and debt slaves.

We've got through possibly millions of years without current "education", an ice age, possibly a great flooding...

That's from being connected and engaged with the wild, and allowing nature to be the teacher of self, learning through experience instead of textbooks.

The world in current systems and state, is heading in a wrong direction, the new generations have to endure the loss of abundance based on older generations and their greed.

Whatever your view in raising children; abducting them and separating them from their mother and siblings, is completely wrong.

There are many ways to teach children to grow and be intelligent. Ancient cultures figured it out, look at Giza

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I am very impressed with my 8 year olds public school.

I am very impressed with the changes made with Common Core.

We are part of a large society that we have to function in.

Or, can you tell me how succeed by not being part of a larger system?

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Hey girly,
I kind of doubt that all parents are even qualified to teach.
As parents we did plan a lot of family outings and vacations around museums and historical sites and we were very hands on but neither of us thought we were equipped to be their teachers. Only their teachers at home helpers lol.
On the other hand...
Teaching the kids at home is one way to prevent abboration of dogma.
I never thought about that. You're correct. But some of those families have so many kids it's like going to public school anyway.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

If home schooling using government established standards is so bad, why isn't it nationally illegal?

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Hey girly,
I kind of doubt that all parents are even qualified to teach.

I totally agree.

The majority of homeschooling is because of religious reasons, which I find very scary.

We, of course, read of successes in the media of a home schooler. Interesting that we don't read about the failures.

Even kids who leave the Amish communities have difficulty because they are so unprepared for the "real" world.

I, myself, most likely have a mild form of Aspergers (but, of course not even heard of in my generation). I had a tough time being on the outside, not fitting in. Why would I want that for any child?

The biggest problem I see in schools is discipline. IMO, they should satellite schools in a district making each address certain requirements. You go to the one that best fits your needs.

I also suggest, each police dept/national guard run a school on site for kids that disrupt other kids who want to learn. Expelling kids is stupid. They need a secure tough place to be expelled to.

edit on 14-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
can someone catch me up ? did they get the kids back ?

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Having looked at all of this here is what can be stated:

As far as I can tell about the educational aspect, as long as the children can read, write and do math, for their age level, it appears as though they are educating their children in a combination way of Waldorf and Montessori style of education. And I would suspect more to the Waldorf way of learning.

As far as the children playing in the mud and snow, what can we say, they are children. Children get messy, they play in the mud and snow. As long as there is no medical records of frost bite or of infection, why not let them enjoy being outdoors and being a part of the natural world that they live in? They probably could find wild berries and edible plants around the area, thus are starting to learn survival skills to help them out, including what all to avoid out in nature.

There are 2 things that work against the family. One is that there is no running drinking water or well for them to get water from, that is a problem that they would have to resolve. The other would be that there should be some form of a permanent structure what they could take refuge from the elements. While it is a homestead and as long as they are showing that they are in the process of building a permanent structure steadily, then the state would have a more hard press case to keep the children away from their family.

There is the criminal case there against the husband, and menacing is against the law, and a criminal complaint is pending.

But with all of the court proceedings, what I think we should be disturbed by is that these proceedings to do such is without an attorney for the parents, and the threats, along with the abuse of power on the part of the system towards the parents and those that dare question the rulings or challenge such, that is something to be very worried about.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
can someone catch me up ? did they get the kids back ?

Pretty sure they did.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

There was a lot more to this story.

There were complaints by other people, people they worked with, etc.

They once had a wood frame beginning house, but lost it and were living under tarps.

There was both food sanitation and bathroom sanitation issues. Also, basically trash and debris everywhere.

The "kitchen" was outside under a tarp.

There are blogs for people living "off the grid" - - - they had nothing good to say about these people.

edit on 14-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here ya go - - update - - they're in trouble again.

I suggest reading the comments.

'Off-the-grid' Naugler family investigated by Breckinridge County Health Department Posted: May 13, 2016

www.wdrb.com...

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

they are living similar to nearly half the human population on Earth. In fact they still live better because they own a business and still have services rendered for the taxes they pay.

This is just more government overreach to intimidate others against self empowerment and independent living. The only way to monopolize energy and food production, they have to make sure there is always a demand from EVERYONE for it. The more people go off grid or independent , the more revenue they lose. So they take every case they can find where someone tries to live like the other half of the human population of Earth and shove that fist so far up they hope the next generation can feel it and think twice about self empowerment.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I've followed this from the beginning.

They are not innocent people just living off the grid.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I am just wondering what crime they have been convicted of in a court of law. has that been determined?? I always thought you had to be proven of guilt first.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

When it comes to kids and you not being able to provide for them it gets blurry. The kids will be taken until everything gets sorted out if the state sees they are in danger.
If you want to know what happened I suggest you read the thread, it covers a lot in the 15 or so pages.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

I am just wondering what crime they have been convicted of in a court of law. has that been determined?? I always thought you had to be proven of guilt first.

There's just a lot to this story.

You can read the thread, or not - - then make up your mind.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I did. That is why I asked what crime were they convicted of in a court of law, as I have not seen it anywhere. They have their kids, the kids were not sick or malnourished, and are being educated. They are being systematically targeted and attacked for living how half of modern humanity, and all humans have lived throughout its existence. The real issue is education I believe. The establishment does not like it when they do not know everything that is being taught because it bypasses the one sided indoctrination of the State.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

I did. That is why I asked what crime were they convicted of in a court of law, as I have not seen it anywhere. They have their kids, the kids were not sick or malnourished, and are being educated. They are being systematically targeted and attacked for living how half of modern humanity, and all humans have lived throughout its existence. The real issue is education I believe. The establishment does not like it when they do not know everything that is being taught because it bypasses the one sided indoctrination of the State.

I don't care if there were criminal charges.

I think that's an insane justification if there was a problem or not.

I followed the story, reading what people who actually knew them said, people that worked with them, and comments on Free Range blogs.

If you want to narrow it down to a legal charge - - that's up to you.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I didn't say it was so bad. I just think it lacks the interaction and points of view of others.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Expelled is just another way to say thrown away. It's a hard question. A child who is very disruptive can be moved to a class designed to deal with that but the amount of educating that occurs in those classes is slim to none. Mostly it's get the kid through the day. Get him to twelfth grade and kick them to the curb. Or they drop out even earlier. In many of those cases it's useless to try and involve parents who just don't care or are just as ill equipped to deal with school as the kid is.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join