It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky ‘free range’ family loses custody of 10 kids over apparent ‘unschooling’

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

They let their children walk a mile home from the park by themselves.

Yeah. That is not "child neglect." When I was growing up, we rode our bikes all over, and walked to school (elementary, middle, and high school). There weren't buses to pick us up.

We did fine.

I got 'talked to' by the principal at my kids' school because I was letting them off at the corner of the property, where they had to walk (gasp!) about 100 yards alongside the fenced-in soccer/football field to get to the 'entrance.' I told them to be sure to listen to the birds, notice the clouds, watch the trees and flowers growing.....

yeah - mrs principal lady admonished me and told me that I HAD TO drop them off IN FRONT OF THE DOOR.
This was in an established middle class neighborhood where old folks were walking their poodle while wearing their bathrobes and slippers. There was NO DANGER near that school lot.

I thought it was retarded and ridiculous.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

They let their children walk a mile home from the park by themselves.

Yeah. That is not "child neglect." When I was growing up, we rode our bikes all over, and walked to school (elementary, middle, and high school). There weren't buses to pick us up.

We did fine.

I got 'talked to' by the principal at my kids' school because I was letting them off at the corner of the property, where they had to walk (gasp!) about 100 yards alongside the fenced-in soccer/football field to get to the 'entrance.' I told them to be sure to listen to the birds, notice the clouds, watch the trees and flowers growing.....

yeah - mrs principal lady admonished me and told me that I HAD TO drop them off IN FRONT OF THE DOOR.
This was in an established middle class neighborhood where old folks were walking their poodle while wearing their bathrobes and slippers. There was NO DANGER near that school lot.

I thought it was retarded and ridiculous.

If you want to take a chance with your child - - I guess that's up to you.

My 7 year old grandson has to be personally delivered, by an adult, to his teacher at the front of the school. Same in reverse. At some age they can be dropped off. At some age they are allowed to walk or ride a bike. I'm not sure what age.

While I was allowed total freedom when I was a child - - things did happen. It just didn't always make the news.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

This was in the mid 1990s. I taught my kids awareness and self-defense - don't talk to strangers who want help finding their puppy or offer you candy. Don't go anywhere with anyone.

Oh well.
They are 26 and 24 now. They survived.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

This was in the mid 1990s. I taught my kids awareness and self-defense - don't talk to strangers who want help finding their puppy or offer you candy. Don't go anywhere with anyone.

Oh well.
They are 26 and 24 now. They survived.

Ever have someone jump out of a car and grab you?

Awareness doesn't help.

Fortunately for me it was some idiot guy who thought it was funny. It wasn't. And I wasn't a little kid.
edit on 26-5-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Ya I was walking to school in 4th and 5th grade.

I would say it was a mile or so.

I did always have to walk with someone though.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

My bad, upon seeing the article I kept thinking didn't these folks have more kids?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Awareness doesn't help.

Fortunately for me it was some idiot guy who thought it was funny. It wasn't. And I wasn't a little kid.

Well, no. I've never had that happen.

Sorry you had to live that!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

My bad, upon seeing the article I kept thinking didn't these folks have more kids?

Its OK - - it still fits the subject.

Just wondered if you realized that.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Awareness doesn't help.

Well, no. I've never had that happen.

Sorry you had to live that!

It was very scary.

It was dark and he came up behind me and grabbed me, then put his hand over my mouth, etc. But, then he let go and just started laughing. It was high school. A prank. Not funny.

What it made me realize is how quickly something like that can happen.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
So whats the deal here?? Its a year later, anyone have an update with source???

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
So whats the deal here?? Its a year later, anyone have an update with source???

As far as I know there all back with the parents.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008
I believe it's conservation of energy behind it all. It's too complicated to fully comprehend all of it, but this basic principle makes enough sense to me even if I don't got it all figured out. I may not always agree with it as an individual, but I understand it may be for the best given the circumstances our society exists in. I guess I'm allowed to express my disagreement, if it doesn't infringe on others unlawfully or similar. I hold onto that.

I think it's also the same reason the genders are blurring. It's not energy efficient to keep them starkly opposite. As times change, it may increasingly be so. It seems what's happening is requirements to live are easing up. Yet as we become more capable, I also believe the ceiling will rise. When the ceiling rises, new challenges will emerge and from this more distinct shapes and patterns will form which're less blurry. They may not be tied to gender, but to other things, like access to technology or to places or wealth in general.

It has always been this way too, I think. Progress is a curse and a blessing. While it blurs some things it brings into sharp focus others. On the one hand we break old boundaries and on the other we find new ones.
edit on 5/13/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
You're never off the grid. You must rescind those contracts! Identification, licenses, selective service, birth certificate, social security. Until you get out of these agreements, you're never off the grid. Until you can obtain allodial title to property, then maybeyou might be off to a good start. JURISDICTION PEOPLE..... JURISDICTION!!!!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Egads.

Well, children don't belong to the community but they don't belong to their parents either. Perhaps parents are responsible for their children but children ARE NOT their property.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Did I misunderstand part of this? How is letting your kids walk a mile from a park, to their homes neglectful?

When we were kids, we rode a public bus 11 miles to the beach and back with our boogie boards, starting at around age 10. No phones, no contact with mom at all until dark. Nobody cared. It wasn't even an issue.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm not sold on home schooling. It seems so limiting. When a child attends public school they receive tutelage from as many as 50 different teachers. From kindergarten through sixth at least four teachers per year. Primary, art, music and physical education or gym. In middle school and high school there's a different teacher for every subject plus elective classes like shop or culinary arts or computer science. How do two people give that kind of perspective? Plus the input of other kids. Where are they going to learn about sex? LOL.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
I'm not sold on home schooling. It seems so limiting. When a child attends public school they receive tutelage from as many as 50 different teachers. From kindergarten through sixth at least four teachers per year. Primary, art, music and physical education or gym. In middle school and high school there's a different teacher for every subject plus elective classes like shop or culinary arts or computer science. How do two people give that kind of perspective? Plus the input of other kids. Where are they going to learn about sex? LOL.

I knew I liked you

I am not a fan of homeschooling, unless there is a reason. I would home school my child if they were being bullied at school for a specific reason. If they were LGBT, or had a disability and were treated badly.

The majority of homeschooling is religious based. Which I think is an entrapment scenario.

Homeschoolers Anonymous: homeschoolersanonymous.org...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Regardless, parents have a God given right to school their kids at home, similar to how most of Earth's societies educated their young until the Federal Department of Education was born, and started holding states hostage to disgusting perverted policies with Federal money.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Regardless, parents have a God given right to school their kids at home, similar to how most of Earth's societies educated their young until the Federal Department of Education was born, and started holding states hostage to disgusting perverted policies with Federal money.

You are entitled to believe as you wish.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Obviously a touchy subject, didn't enjoy the condescending responses in the first couple pages.

I'll keep this short then;

In today's America and Canada, in the "great education" our children receive by public schooling..

It very apparent that children are getting more dumb and dependant as the years progress.

I'm not painting all children with the same brush, for those about to hoot and holler at that comment...

But, I have noticed and hear it all the time, how the younger generations are getting dumber, more ignorant and dependant as the education system in North America becomes lesser.

For one to use "properly educated" as an excuse to abduct ones birthed child, is completely ignorant and a bit sadistic.

Our current education is breeding dumb and greed.

Even the college/university students, many know nothing about their nations history etc...videos all over the Internet proving this.

Having a natural connection to the earth, a steady education while developing a sense of self awareness, is more important then this new system and culture of selfie kids who live in ignorance.

Today's standards are not very high...

Again, not all.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join