It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if The Homeless Gave You Money? - Broken Moral Compasses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Before anyone jumps on the producer and actors in this video, and their intentions please take a long hard look.

The reactions in this video from the people that are offered money are typical of an "Ego driven lifestyle", that many people lead in our world.

What do you think ATS?

edit on 26-4-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I seen this the other day and at first was perplexed by it but after some thought, I realized I felt angry at those people. I know that may have been the response the producers were looking for so I thought about why it elicited that emotion from me. It's a highly edited piece as well, fishing for just the reaction they got from me.

Maybe because I have been there before, not panhandling but homeless. I know, firsthand, how hard life on the streets can be. maybe it was the terrible reactions from the passerby's that really got me. So high and mighty and so much "better than you" attitude with many not realizing they are just one bad life incident away from being there themselves. Or maybe that is the exact reason they reacted that way, they DO realize that it could be them.

I dunno, the video produced a wide range of feelings in me and I am still undecided on it all.

I will say, it is a thought provoking piece though.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is a pretty controversial experiment. I think the kid and the guy both act like d-bags.

The " I could buy you" comment is out of line.

I also think the shoeless kid is mocking everyone because he appears perfectly abled to work for a living, he is acting like he doesn't care about money and has gone off the deep end, then starts mocking people for not giving him handouts.

He is giving money to someone who has sacrificed their time to be sucessful.

Depending on where you live, things are different.

Down in tampa, there are people who show up like clockwork, wearing their orange vests, carring their beggars permit, and panhandle full time.

Many of them are registered sex offenders, but most are lazy, but they often clear over $100,000 a year and don't pay taxes.

I saw a couple the other day, dressed like crap, ripped, dirty clothes get into a 70k Mercedes Suv and drive away.

Some people have seriously bad mental problems, but a bunch of them here do it beacuse its easier than working like the rest of us.

This kid appears perectly capable of working, so his responses are not ego driven in my opinion.

edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
There was a homeless man named John that used to hang around outside a gas station near here. He was schizophrenic, and I believe he suffered from other mental illnesses as well. Anyway, he and his dog were at this gas station almost every day for a couple years, so I got to talking to him. Once you got past the obvious problems he had, he was a nice guy. He was from a local family that was quite well off, and despite being homeless, he had a bank account and a lot of money, and would regularly give money to people going in and out of the gas station. I'm not sure whatever happened to him....Anyway, that's my story about the homeless giving out money...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

What do you think ATS?

Ali G has a poorly contrived doppelganger...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

I remember really wanting to try this when I was living in Seattle. The attitude I would experience from others as they passed a homeless person was so arrogant and self-absorbed that I seriously considered offering money to people who looked overburdened with self-importance.

The reactions this guy got in the video was even worse than I would have expected. I really feel for him at the end when he was seriously disgusted with his fellow human.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Thank you so much for this very insightful video. It saddens me that people react this way to those who truly give from the heart, with no "catch" and no expectations of reciprocity.

I live by the philosophy of paying it forward. I was raised in a service to others home with loving parents who gave freely to others and help to those in need. We had little money, so we helped weed, paint, pick up walnuts, various chores for those who needed help.

There is a incredible sense of blessing you feel in giving to someone in need.

I encourage others to give what you can..remunerate for the blessings you have. Give of yourself and feel the love.
edit on 1430076532Sunday30Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:28:52 -0500pmSunday2820230 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

On my way to work I pass a spot where there are always people standing at a stoplight asking for money. The past few years have been pretty rough and I've seen a lot of different kinds of people at that stop light. I'd handed out some spare change here and there

There are always a few regulars, and some of them kinda sorta live under a bridge nearby. One morning I tried to give some money to one of those guys. He said no - gave me money instead. Honestly can't remember now if it was a five or a ten, but for someone like him it was a substantial amount

I tried to say no, and asked him to keep it. He told me that he had managed to get a place to live, had got himself a job and wanted to thank me. I know how good it feels to be able to repay a kindness or a debt. It was important to him, so I took it

Made me cry. I'm a lot weepier these days than I used to be - but, seriously

That video was really something Realtruth

edit on 4/26/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It's annoying to give to a beggar, and it's annoying not to give to a beggar. Clearly those people do not want or need what he is trying to give them. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I usually tell self centered people to go screw themselves. It probably makes me a worse person for doing so but I don't have to listen to their bull#.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Aren't you a piece of humanity! Do you kick children and push old ladies into a crosswalk?

If you cannot see the wrong in their refusals of money from a poor man (he wasn't begging) you need to check your pulse. It was they say they refused the money, not the refusal itself.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Aren't you a bright one! Do you cross the street before or after the cars stop?

it is clear the guy sitting on the pavement on the side of the street needs the money more. Would you take a loaf of bread from a starving child just because she insisted you have it?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

A verbal boxing match is futile. You want one.

Have a good day!

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

No I don't. I just enjoy pointing out absurdities. Have a good one.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Where i work i see four homeless guys on a regular basis. All four of them have Android's or another type of phone much better than my old flip phone. Three of them slam heroin among other stuff, the fourth i think is just plain lazy, he sits in Starbucks from opening until close using the free WiFi.

Then not to mention the two ladies that drive around the parking lots in SUV's on the weekend's asking patrons for money. I guess driving around those SUV's can be expensive on gas.

I guess i've become jaded over the last couple years dealing with them and others. So no money from me. It just feeds their habits.

top topics

join