It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone name a religion that DOESNT believe in reincarnation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I was thinking about it and I can't think of a single religion that doesn't believe in reincarnation...

Sikhism - we have 8,4 million lives
Buddhism - infinite rebirths until enlightenment
Christianity - believe in the reincarnation of Jesus
Islam - believe in the reincarnation of Muhammed
Judaism - believe in the reincarnation of Moses

...???

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa
Christianity believes in resurrection, not reincarnation.

"Incarnation" means receiving a physical body (from the Latin for "flesh"), and so "Re-incarnation" means receiving a second physical body.
There is no second physical body in Christian teaching.

Also "reincarnation"" theories normally involve an endless succession of physical bodies, and that certainly isn't in Christian teaching either.
One death, followed by "judgement".

edit on 20-4-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Tells me one thing....it's better alive then dead.
Good question S&F.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Tells me one thing....it's better alive then dead.
Good question S&F.

Almost everyBODY agrees.

Many scientists now believe in Reincarnation.. Putting human minds into computers.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
There are certainly some valid arguments that the early Christians believed in reincarnation. Easy to google for Bible passages and many considerations about this argument.

In fact, it could take multiple lifetimes to cover them all!

edit on 4/20/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bb23108
I first read your phrase as "wild arguments", and I may not have been wrong.
Those theories are normally based on missing the point about the meaning of the word "reincarnation".
"Second physical body", remember.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Those theories are normally based on missing the point about the meaning of the word "reincarnation".
"Second physical body", remember.

Nevermind...

Anyway, various passages definitely suggest a second body. It is easy enough for anyone to google. Sorry I don't have time to do this in detail now - but there is a lot of easily found work on this matter.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Of course once you start making up things about what people could have done and thought, there is no limit to what you can believe. I'm not going to follow through mazes like that, it's a pointless exercise.
But I think you may have missed the point about my comment on the definition.
Unless there is evidence for belief in people receiving a second physical body, there is no evidence for belief in reincarnation.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Jedi Knight

2nd

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Unless there is evidence for belief in people receiving a second physical body, there is no evidence for belief in reincarnation.

There is a lot of evidence, but you will have to research if you are really interested. Edgar Cayce did some very interesting work in this area.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Not interested.
My source for Christian theology is the New Testament, which I am researching thoroughly enough.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Not interested.
My source for Christian theology is the New Testament, which I am researching thoroughly enough.

Oh, I thought you were interested in someone proving reincarnation does occur regardless of the source of the proof.

Proof isn't religious.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Not interested.

I personally would love to understand Hebrew in order to do this in a more accurate way. I wonder how hard that would be?

And didn't I read some thing in the bible about getting new clothes from God.. After death.. Not life on Earth again, but some new clothes to wrap the soul in, like a light body or something.. So not strictly reinCARNation. as in CARNivore.

Anyway I m,ay be wrong but pretty sure I am getting it from the bible.
edit on 20-4-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Double-check the content of the OP.
The question under discussion is not "whether reincarnation occurs", but "whether Christianity believes in reincarnation".
I can tell you that belief in reincarnation is not part of the content of Christian theology, so that answers the question.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight
The good news is that the New Testament is in Greek, and Greek is a much easier language for a westerner than Hebrew.
The alphabet is easier, for a start.
(I once had to take an examination involving some knowledge of both. I was officially informed that my Hebrew paper was of a "bare passing standard")

And on the "new body", look through 1 Corinthians ch15, where Paul explains the difference between the new and the old.
It is a new kind of body with some continuity, and he uses the image of a seed and the plant which grows out of it.

edit on 20-4-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Double-check the content of the OP.
The question under discussion is not "whether reincarnation occurs", but "whether Christianity believes in reincarnation".
I can tell you that belief in reincarnation is not part of the content of Christian theology, so that answers the question.

Oh I understand this. I thought at one point you were talking in general terms about there is no proof for reincarnation. My misunderstanding there.

Anyway, here are some of the passages that indicate people back then did believe in reincarnation:

Matthew 16
[13] When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
[14] And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
[15] He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
[16] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Matthew 17
[10] And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come?
[11] And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.
[12] But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.
[13] Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Matthew 14
[1] At that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the fame of Jesus,
[2] And said unto his servants, This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead; and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The people putting forward those speculations were not Christians.
Elijah was supposed to be a special case anyway, because the Old Testament shows him taken straight up to heaven without dying, so in theory he could have returned in his original body.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The fear of death can make people do and believe literally anything....it should be no surprise that religions pray on it.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Atheism?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Elijah was supposed to be a special case anyway, because the Old Testament shows him taken straight up to heaven without dying, so in theory he could have returned in his original body.

So another physical ascension is the basis for your argument? That is quite the stretch. You don't really believe that a physical body could ascend to the heavens, do you?

Maybe the local population at the time could believe this possible, given that they thought heaven was some physical crystal dome above the earth. Where did he physically stop ascending since there is no crystal heaven-dome up there in the skies?

We do know the local population bought the physical ascension myth that Paul put forth, even though it clearly was an esoteric resurrection and ascension by Jesus that is described in the Bible, not a physical one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join