It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone identify this spider? (New York)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I happened upon this ugly SOB at work today. It's huge! It's leg span is probably about the same diameter as a golf ball. I've been searching online for quite some time but can't seem to find this spider anywhere. There's a couple that look kind of similar but this looks substantially different than all the pictures I've seen of those.

edit on 4 18 2015 by MDpvc because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Looks a little like a Wolf Spider...

But also a bit like some Brown Recluse Spiders as well...

Wouldn't get too close imo.
edit on 18-4-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

Not quite, but to me it looks really close to a "brown recluse"!

Seems to be a lot of light in the pic you took, but how does it compare to THIS?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Don't let that thing go and reproduce.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Looks like a fishing spider...awesome they get huge.

Near water, with thick muscular legs. They have several different patterns on them. They munch on frogs, even small fish.

edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: add pic

edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It's definitely not a recluse.
Pretty sure it's a variety of wolf spider. They look scary, but are basically harmless.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Looks like a fishing spider...awesome they get huge.

Near water, with thick muscular legs. They have several different patterns on them. They munch on frogs, even small fish.

I've seen a female wolf spider that big on the side of my house. I should have taken a picture before spraying it with hornet spray. I had to kill it so my wife wouldn't make be spray bug killer everywhere if she saw it. She was scared of the hundred or so smaller wolf spiders that were on the walls of the garage and shed. If she would have seen this one, I would have been told to kill them all. I worked in areas around spiders all the time, and was bit a few times but I don't like killing spiders unless I have to. It gives me a sad feeling. They are a very necessary part of our ecosystem.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Looks a little like a Wolf Spider...

But also a bit like some Brown Recluse Spiders as well...

Wouldn't get too close imo.

I think you may be right about it being a Wolf spider. Thats about how big they get and your spider has the same markings as a Wolf Spider. I used to see them quite abit in our basement when I lived in Colorado.

Brown Recluse don't have the markings that are on the spider in your picture, they maybe have a few on their head but none on their back.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
My daughter would call it a Stepon spider. As in, "STEP ON IT!"

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

i agree with skunkape...i just cant find a match to it with any image searches. It has a very distinct pattern on its back.
Cool pic, thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Wolf spider. We have the same type in Maine.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Exactly, they get pretty big. I caught one as a kid, thought it was a tarantula.

I'm down here in Fl, and lemme tell you, the spiders down here are wicked.

We have multiple subspecies of recluse and widow spiders everywhere, and there is nothing like a spider that will leave a softball sized necrotic hole in you when your bitten

edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: edit

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Oh, that is "Gary" He can be a real pain in the neck.. Where did You find Him? He is usually hanging out either panhandling and/or scaring folks..

Just yell "GARY- KNOCK IT OFF" and He will usually scamper off. His 'bark' truly is worse than His nip..

Ever heard of "Barking Spiders"? That was Gary, Phil et al.

namaste

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: rickymouse

Exactly, they get pretty big. I caught one as a kid, thought it was a tarantula.

I'm down here in Fl, and lemme tell you, the spiders down here are wicked.

We have multiple subspecies of recluse and widow spiders everywhere, and there is nothing like a spider that will leave a softball sized necrotic hole in you when your bitten

LOL!

Spiders scare the hell out me!

I pretty much go by "friend or foe"! In other words, if I don't know if it is poisoness or not? It dies!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Since I have been up in this area I have only seen three really big spiders. That is not because they are uncommon though, that is just because I didn't see them. The first I saw was a very big pine spider and when the owner of the house I was working on brought it to get identified, the professor said they were common in the woods. He said that big was not uncommon. You wouldn't see one sitting on pine bark, they would look like a big lump of pine bark.

If you don't know something exists, it is hard to see it.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
That would fit into the "bad spider" kind in my book
Bad spiders - big ones , little ones , striped ones , dark ones , light ones (i.e all)
Good spiders - dead (just joking , most spiders actually help mankind by ridding the world of nasty bugs like mosquitoes)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
According to the following chart it's either a burn it or run like hell.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Just for those arachnophobes .

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7
I like idea of the fisher spider, they look the most similar IMO. I did find it in a pool I was pressure washing, I probably should have included that in the OP.
I was thinking it could be some type of wolf spider but, I see them daily and haven't ever seen one that looks quite like this, even after 45min in google images.
Thanks for all the replies! I was mostly hoping to find out how far away I should stay from it!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Carolina Wolf Spider

Link to a deviant art page with pic of spider Spider
edit on 18-4-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join