It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul announces presidential run

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: daaskapital

originally posted by: infolurker

a reply to: damwel

Better than Bush, Clinton or Obama.

One of the better choices I have seen as a candidate with any chance in the last 20 years.

The USA will truly be doomed if Clinton or Bush get in...i hope Rand is able to push it far enough to become the next President. It would be a welcome change for not only Americans, but for others the world over.

If you get another Bush or Clinton, King George III will rise from his grave and take a big zoombie crap on the washington memorial

This made me lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I was almost with him...almost. Then he signed that letter to Iran and beat on the war drums, so either they got to him or his true stripes are showing. So for me it's a no.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Better than any other Republican candidate. However since Jeb Bush looks like he's going to run, I doubt Paul will get past the primaries.
We will see though. He is the only way I'd vote for a main stream party.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Trust no one.

Vote your conscience. It's either Jeb or Hillary that's getting elected anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: dntwastetime

If you truly believe all of your post then you know why Jeb Bush will be the next President.

Bush junior actually got along with Putin .. as I recall, they had a great time together ..
If Jeb is like his brother, then I'd for once not mind him as prez, just to diffuse this whole cold war thing, over a couple of cold ones at the ranch ..

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Eh, I'm happy he's running but you know, eh. Do we know who the independent is this time around? God please don't let Hilary run, please!!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

This Republican primary is going to be just as fun as the last one.

Rand Paul, Ted Cruz...Rick Perry will jump in, probably Scott Walker, maybe Donald Trump...all we need is for crazy Palin to join in for it to be an absolute blast.

Here is why the Republican party is going to have a hard time winning a National election...they have become the party of "We hate liberals" instead of a party based on what a group of people believe in.

Inside the Republican party, you have at least 3 sub camps...the only thing they have in common is that they hate Obama and Liberals. But they also really don't like the other sub camps ideology either...and that is what makes the Republican primaries such a delicious blood bath.

You will have anti war candidates, like Paul, having to bend their view on that to win over the pro-war republicans. You will have the hard line anti immigration candidate having to soften their view or risk losing the entire Hispanic vote. You will have the anti-government candidate have to admit that government does play a vital role or risk losing rational people voting for them.

In short, Republicans at a national level are a mess...they have a huge identity crisis and will tear each other apart in the primary.

On the other hand, the Democrats don't really vary that much on their ideologies...their primary will have disagreements on how to approach a problem...but not on what the problem actually is.

I'm so excited...let the Republican circus begin.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

What do you know about your source? ThinkProgressive is a media outlet for the center for American progress here's a little information about the Center for American progress.

Center for American Progress (CAP) is a George Soros-funded, liberal, supposedly "progressive," Beltway think tank founded by ex-Bill Clinton Chief of Staff John Podesta. Since the 2008 elections, it has become a mouthpiece for Barack Obama.

The source you picked is just Democrats trashing Republicans look at the issues for Rand Paul from a nonpartisan view I think you'll be surprised.

On same-sex marriage ran Paul also said leave it up to the states to decide. (Falls under less federal government)

He supports $190 billion defense spending increaseover four years. After defense spending was cut by close to $1 trillion in 2011. If you want to call that increase go ahead.
Paul categorically opposed the use of drones to kill a US citizen unless a warrant was issued. Which is completely impossible under US current law. (he knew that drone strikes are illegal and merely back DSU into a corner to expose that fact)

On marijuana, he fully supports decriminalization and clemency for people serving under mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines. Supports the medical use of marijuana. Also one of the first times I saw the man face-to-face he was at a NORMAL rally in Kentucky in the mid to late 90s. (so again I think he just might be catering to the hard-core conservatives to woo their favor, things just might change if he achieves office)

I really hope that anyone that reads your post clicks on your source. A lot of the information I've stated was in there if you can make it past the heavily biased leading paragraph to each charge.

I mean my god your source has taken many of his libertarian stances and turn them around on him. Who isn't in favor of the less federal government and more states rights . He also wants, a bill with the real teeth that stops NSA domestic surveillance along with a litany of his other positions.

No by far he is the best and only candidate calling for many of the things people call for on this form. If you are waiting for a politician that matches your views 100% let me tell you something, it ain't never going to happen.

edit on 7-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Let's see if he can reign in his nuttery better than his dad.

Ahh a statement I find agreeable.

He also does not have the baggage of those racist newsletters.

I give him 5 to 10 percent better than pops in the primaries if he doesn't make any mistakes. Maybe by the 4th or 5th try he will get there.
edit on 7-4-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Promises, Promises

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: newWorldSamurai
He's one of the only politicians that has had a fairly consistent message of smaller government and less military involvement in foreign countries.

But he wants to increase military spending, and wants to increase use of drones, while also using them in the US.
He also wants to make freedom of speech and association a mandated activity, deciding who can be arrested and charged for attending a talk that doesn't conform to his notions of what is right.

That is in no way a Libertarian. In fact, given some of the things he's said and supported, he's one of the most radical Republicans the US has ever seen.

When you have a prospective President who wants to use drones against American citizens, you have a MAJOR problem, let alone the bizarre belief that opinion should be mandated by the government. How anyone can seriously think he's a Libertarian is beyond me.

Have some sources for those statements? That sounds like a horribly biased interpretation at best. And for the record, I'm not a Rand Paul supporter.
edit on 7-4-2015 by newWorldSamurai because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

One of the better choices I have seen as a candidate with any chance in the last 20 years.

Which is exactly why he won't make it to the final ballot.

I'd love to vote for him though, even though I disagree on a few issues, overall, his general message is one I agree with (he just needs to get with the times on the whole weed and gay marriage thing).

However, Jeb is going to get the GOP ticket. My guess would be Rubio for the VP spot (though, depending on the primary, this is where Rand may have a shot). Neither of which will matter, because they'll lose to Hillary....because America will be enamored with the novel idea of a female President.

Some may point to the scandals that have been in the press lately, but Benghazi and the email thing? Neither are enough to taint it for the average American. We still liked Bill with all of his shenanigans....and collectively, we'll jump at the chance to elect our first female President, despite the fact that she and Jeb are both bought and paid for (and often by our political and economic enemies!)....

Let's see if he can reign in his nuttery better than his dad.

He's much more moderate than his dad. I did love Ron though...but I knew he didn't have a prayer. Still voted for him though.

What the hell did he just say?

Yep, I think many will have the same reaction to Rand.
He'll speak on limiting government, etc., then bash gay marriage or pot legalization, etc.
edit on 7-4-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Promises, Promises

A politician is a politician is a politician

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So far, Rand Paul is the only candidate that I actually have a little hope for. No where near where his father was, but he's the best choice in the Rep. field currently.

Just a few snippets from Politico on some of Paul's viewpoints.

www.politico.com...

NSA

And last year, Paul filed a class-action lawsuit against the Obama administration, saying that the NSA’s collection of telephone metadata is unconstitutional under the Fourth Amendment.

Cutting military spending

In May 2011, Paul introduced a balanced budget plan that would have likely cut defense spending by about 23 percent in five years — a jarring proposal for a senator whose party rarely proposes significant cuts for the military.

Ending the war on drugs

Paul is the only Republican presidential hopeful to officially support marijuana decriminalization, which would eliminate criminal charges while still having penalties, such as a fine.

He’s also spoken out heavily against mandatory minimum sentences and has vowed to end the war on drugs.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Rand Paul
Paul Ryan
Ayn Rand
Ron Paul

it's a little odd considering how intertwined all 4 are.
edit on 7-4-2015 by UnderKingsPeak because: order Paul Paul Rand Rand Ron Ayn

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well good for him.
I'm still not voting.

I've seen nothing good come from these elected officials.

I can look around my family, my neighborhood, my city and I see no benefits coming from any government to help us.

I find it funny, how we all receive thousands of robo calls and pollsters at our doors "needing" us.
Once they get elected however, they could care less about our opinions and wants.

$hit rolls down hill, and government sits at the top.
If he was to get elected, do you really believe he is there to help us?

The system wouldn't allow someone, who isn't with them, to come into office and change things.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Does anyone know Rands stance on TPP?

I can not vote for someone who supports that abomination.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Paul is certainly somewhat outside of the conventional political paradigm but if he were to get close he will get squeezed back into the conventional in order to win or squeeze himself back into the mainstream GOP dogma

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join