It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Winter Storm for Dec 22nd & Dec 23

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The forcast for Louisville has changed agian. It looks like we could get more than a few inches now.

It's going to be a breezy and cloudy overnight. Expect snow, possibly mixed with sleet (ice pellets). Total accumulations for the day should reach 7-9 inches. Temperatures will linger at 20 with today's low of 19 occurring around 6:00am. Winds will be 15 MPH from the northeast turning from the north as the overnight progresses.

Looks like I'll be sledding with my daughter later

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
As indicated by radar at approximately 1am eastern time on Dec 22nd the snow moved over my area. It took around 2 hours+ for the snow aloft to moisturize the atmosphere enough to reach the ground. At 3:07am I observed the first snowflake. By 3:15 a few more were floating around. Just 7 minutes later the flakes were flying and the show has begun. From what I have seen the storm won't be over until around noon time on the 23rd. Maybe some records will be set

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Guys, setting here looking at the maps I think the actual tract is wrong. The cold front is picking up speed. If this doesn't change it will shift the cold another 75 or so miles east. Those expecting rain, shouldn't be surprised if they end up with several inches of snow.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I just saw on local weather that they are predicting anywhere from 10-12 upwards of 18 inches in my area. SWEET, but I have to have surgery tomorrow so getting to the hospital could be tricky.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by observer
I just saw on local weather that they are predicting anywhere from 10-12 upwards of 18 inches in my area. SWEET, but I have to have surgery tomorrow so getting to the hospital could be tricky.

Man I just got up
12 to 18 inches? HOLY SNIKIES BATMAN! Its 1994 all over agian

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
very impressive:

www.cnn.com...

I didn't check the 5 day forecasts for the areas so I don't know if this was already predicted by the local weather teams but I'm still impressed.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Definatly. Props to Indy for being able to predict what the weathermen couldnt do untill it fell on them
Time to go build a snowman with my daughter

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Looks like North West Indiana will get up to a foot when this storm comes through. It will be mostly lake effect. Luckily some of the 30 inches that fell Sunday melted already. They are still cleaning up the side streets here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
They're calling for up to 10 inches tonight in my area. Whee. It's been snowing since this morning. I was up at 8:30 and at the store getting things for my husband--I did not want to wait until this afternoon.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
In the first batch of the storm we only picked up 2 inches. This evening (maybe late evening) the 2nd batch comes in. That is supposed to be the worst. We still may be looking at 10+ inches of snow in the city. Only miles south of the city is where it gets really bad. Some towns down the highway have 10 inches of snow already. The second batch will be worse. I would say an additional 10 to 15 inches in some spots isn't out of the question. There will be areas that receive over two feet of snow. For many locations the storm totals will represent the greatest single storm totals in history.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Indy, i applaude your knowledge and prediction accuracy of the weather systems
Your knowledge would beo ATS a valuable asset to ATS if they had a weather report to go along with the news report. If your up for the reccomendation, Ill send a comment to suggest the idea

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How do the forecast models differ for a city like Indianapolis?

The MRF model is predicting nearly 1.25 inches of liquid precipitation.

The AVN model is predicting nearly 0.85 inches of liquid precipitation.

Normally you take that number and multiply it by 10 to get your snowfall forecast. So you would think anywhere from 8.5" to 12.5". But because of the nature of the airmass you will need to multiply by 12 to 15 to get the real total. The snow is fluffing up nicely. So at a 12:1 ratio you are looking at 10" to 15". The higher range of 15:1 would produce 12.75" to 18.75". But if you want to stick to the normal rule you'd be looking at 8.5 to 12.5 inches.

If it all comes down as snow for Louisville you would be looking at 13 to 15" (AVN/MRF) by the 10:1 ratio. The same rule and numbers will apply to about the western 1/3rd of Ohio.

Happy White Christmas

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well I wouldn't call it a storm, but it sure is snowy as I look out my window here in Ottawa.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Well I wouldn't call it a storm, but it sure is snowy as I look out my window here in Ottawa.

Some of us Americans are spoiled with our winters. We have a bonifide blizzard on our hands here in Louisville if we get 6 or more inches
That makes this a whopper of a storm for us
Heck, if we get more than 3 or 4 accumulitave snowfalls each winter were lucky

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
DELETE MY ACCOUNT NOW!

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We are having a break in the snow now. We ended up with 6 inches of snow on my deck. To top it off. After the snow quit falling, it started raining ice pellets
So we have 6 inches of snow with a layer of ice on top. Its supposed to start snowing agian in a few hours, and that snowfall is predected to be heavy. Now I wish I didnt drive my lil purple Geo Metro

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Forecast for SE MI:

...A MAJOR WINTER STORM TO AFFECT THE AREA TONIGHT AND THURSDAY...

.A STRONG WINTER STORM WILL ORGANIZE OVER THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI
VALLEY AND MOVE NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE SOUTHERN GREAT LAKES FOR TONIGHT AND THURSDAY.

SHOULD THE FORECAST TRACK CONTINUE TO HOLD...THE STORM WILL BRING SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO MUCH OF SOUTHEAST LOWER MICHIGAN. MOST LOCATIONS COULD RECEIVE 6 INCHES OF SNOW OR MORE. IN ADDITION...
NORTH WINDS WILL INCREASE DRAMATICALLY ON THURSDAY AS THIS STORM SYSTEM PASSES THE AREA...GUSTING OVER 30 MPH AT TIMES. THESE WINDS WILL FURTHER REDUCE VISIBILITIES...PRODUCE DRIFTING SNOW...
AND DROP
WIND CHILLS BELOW ZERO.

AT THIS TIME...IT APPEARS SNOW WILL SPREAD INTO THE REGION LATE THIS EVENING AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT. PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW WILL THEN CONTINUE THURSDAY MORNING...
BEFORE SLOWLY WINDING DOWN THURSDAY AFTERNOON IN MOST LOCATIONS. HOWEVER...AREAS IN THE THUMB NEAR LAKE HURON CAN EXPECT THE SNOW TO PERSIST INTO THE AFTERNOON AS THE LAKE PROVIDES SOME ENHANCEMENT TO THE SNOWFALL. SEVERAL MORE INCHES OF SNOW MAY FALL IN THESE AREAS...WITH STRONG WINDS CREATING NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES... ESPECIALLY ALONG THE LAKESHORE REGIONS.

www.crh.noaa.gov...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The Ice started falling agian about an hour ago. Ive given up trying to keep my deck and back walkway clear. Its a losing battle. Its to cold for salt now

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
We have about one and a half inches of ice now. All ontop of the 6 inches of snow. The roads are completly undrivable. They Ice up as soon as the salt trucks leave the areas they are in. Things are getting pretty nasty here in Louisville. Im glad I went to the grocery store three days ago

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Here is the accumulation where I live in Dayton, OH Dec22 9:40pm EST:

Measured 10" in my backyard and still snowing.

I hope they call a level 3 emergency so I will have a good excuse to not go to work tomorrow. The interstate, earlier today, was bumper to bumper heading into town and moving at a whopping 10mph! Ironically, I lhave a good view of the highway interchange called malfunction junction and I have seen not a single wreck. I guess this year people actually remembered how to drive in the snow.

(notice all the orbs in this pic!)

[edit on 22-12-2004 by ben91069]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join