It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Winter Storm for Dec 22nd & Dec 23

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There has to be something here for us new jersey people. Its like in the teens over here with a wind chill in the single digits Yesterday little flurries but i am still waiting for the big storm

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thug69
There has to be something here for us new jersey people.

It took me 25 minutes this morning just to de-ice the cardoor lock. Gf's car would not even start. Welcome to winter!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
As I expected winter storm watches have gone up here. The local weather people are starting to pick up on this. So far they are calling for 5 to 7 inches here. The last model I have seen calls for 10 inches here and temps down to -15. Lets see what the next run calls for. Thats the AVN result. Waiting to find the latest MRF.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
By the way...it's 66 degrees in Indian Territory right now...

read 'em and weep.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Here is the local weather summary for Louisville.

Monday morning update...
High pressure building into the Ohio Valley brought us the strong winds and falling temperatures yesterday. Now, as the high moves away, the process will be reversed - southerly winds will start us on a warming trend. The big question mark for the week will be a storm coming northward out of the Gulf Coastal states. This storm will be a big rain- and snow-maker for parts of the Ohio Valley. It is still too early to tell how much snow it will bring our area.

Link for weather
www.wave3.com...

They see it, but they are not suer it will hit us. Ill just go ask my magic 8 ball and find out for sure

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Honestly it probably won't be a big deal for the eastern 2/3rds of Ohio. The western 1/3rd will have the problem.

BTW I was looking over the maps a little closer. This storm may become a blizzard. It looks as if the low will pass east of Cincinnati with a 998 mb pressure. Sitting around North Dakota/Nebraska border will be a 1044mb high. There is a serious pressure difference there. If you can find the maps on the National Climatic Data Center's website for the blizzard of 1978 (Jan 23rd I believe) you will see these storms evolve in almost the same way. The blizzard of 78 however had a much deeper low. But a 46mb pressure difference will create a large and strong wind field.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Kentucky to get slammed by major winter storm!

We have been talking about this as a possibility for the past week and it looks like ol' man winter is going to deliver. For some areas of the state, this could be the biggest snow since the "dusting" of 1998. Let me caution you here that this will NOT be as widespread with the heavy snow as that one was. Probably not even close.
The midday models continue to trend toward the eastward scenario I outlined yesterday. I have been on board for the low travelling from Louisiana into eastern Tennessee to near Pittsburgh by Thursday. I can still find now reason to deviate from that. The models are heading in that direction and the major puch of arctic air heading down the plains is likely being underplayed by the models. That underplaying is likely leading to a slightly more westward track. The depth of the cold and the track of the low are always important in forecasting winter storms. That importance is amplified this go around because of the holiday travel period and because of the overall amount precipitation expected. Not to mention the bitter cold that follows the storm.

What is my call? Well it is still a bit early. Here is a quick look at what I am expecting to happen across the state. Let's start with the east. East of a line from Mt. Sterling to London seem to be predominately rain. That said, a quick heavy snowfall is possible before the event ends on Thursday.

In the counties along and just west of I-75, including the Lexington Metro, a wintry mix of rain, sleet, freezing rain and maybe some snow will develop on Wednesday. This will then likely make a quick transition to heavy snow Wednesday evening into Thursday morning with several inches possible. This is the area that could also see some significant icing.
From E-Town to Augusta and points north and west, a snowstorm looks to be in the cards. Someone in this area could get a foot or more of snow into Thursday. THIS IS ONLY A PRELIMINARY CALL ON MY PART. Until I become certain of the lows exact track, that is as specific as I can get. You are urged to continue to check back in for the latest forecasts on this developing winter storm.

You may actually see some watches going up for parts of the state this afternoon. Those would likely be from the NWS offices in Paducah and Louisville. One particular forecaster (Mr. Funk) at Louisville has had an excellent handle on this storm for a few days now. By the way, thanks for reading the blog! This could also be the coldest Christmas since 1989 for much of Kentucky as below zero temps are looking more and more like a possibility.

This info is from our local weatherman's blog and can be found here.

It is shaping up to be an exciting weather week to say the least. We are supposed to be heading out of town to go to various family events. If we get this mess we will just have to see everyone later. I am not up to driving in this mess right now.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
We had wind chills here in the single digits this morning.. that just ain't right!

We had actuals of -10 this morning. Fingers freeze very very quickly without gloves, and yes, I was an idiot this morning...

I think our windchill this morning as around -20/-25 or so but it was not a steady wind thankfully.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
wow... lookie what I'm in for....

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

EST MON DEC 20 2004 ... A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM WITH HEAVY SNOW AND SOME ICE POSSIBLE FOR MUCH OF NORTHERN OHIO WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY...
A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO ON TUESDAY. THE STORM WILL MOVE NORTHWARD TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY AND BE OVER THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY BY THURSDAY.

THE LATEST DATA SHOWS THAT HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE FOR PEOPLE LIVING WEST OF INTERSTATE 71. ALTHOUGH EXACT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS CANNOT BE DETERMINED AT THIS TIME... THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY FOR AREAS WEST OF INTERSTATE 71. ALONG AND EAST OF INTERSTATE 71...

SNOW WILL START WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON... AND POSSIBLY MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO A WINTRY MIX OF RAIN... FREEZING RAIN OR SLEET WEDNESDAY NIGHT... BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO SNOW THURSDAY MORNING. PEOPLE IN NORTHERN OHIO SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY....

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If it keeps going the way it has this week, we just may have a White Christmas....IN FLORIDA!!!

Damn chilly this morning....was in the 40's....

Of course, for FL, that's DAMN cold...

I used to live in Alaska though, so no biggie for me, but my fellow Floridians are not happy, hehe.....

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
It took me 25 minutes this morning just to de-ice the cardoor lock. Gf's car would not even start. Welcome to winter!

Jonna,

Rain-X nonfreezing wiper fluid will thaw that out in seconds. I use it year-round up here in CNY. The push button on my Envoy tailgate froze shut the other morning while open for five minutes so the window would not stay shut. Rain-X thawed that instantly. It has not frozen in my wiper system yet and I've used it for multiple winters up here. It works far better than any other non-freezing wiper fluid I've seen up here.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
According to Weather.com I dont see any snow where i live just Bitterly cold Weather. I want snow

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here's SE Michigan:

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ADRIAN...ANN ARBOR...DOWNTOWN DETROIT...
MONROE...MOUNT CLEMENS...PONTIAC AND PORT HURON
430 PM EST MON DEC 20 2004

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF LESS THAN AN INCH ARE EXPECTED
TONIGHT...EXCEPT LOCALLY AN INCH OR TWO IN ST CLAIR COUNTY. A LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK THROUGH THE NORTHERN GREAT LAKES...
BRINGING SNOW TO SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN.

.DAY TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY

ACCUMULATING SNOWS ARE POSSIBLE AGAIN WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY. A
LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK FROM THE NORTHERN GULF COAST TO THE
OHIO VALLEY BY THURSDAY...THEN CONTINUE INTO QUEBEC. THIS SYSTEM HAS
THE POTENTIAL TO BRING OVER 6 INCHES OF SNOW TO PORTIONS OF
SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. THE EXACT TRACK OF THE SYSTEM REMAINS
UNCERTAIN...AND WILL HAVE A LARGE IMPACT ON ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS
THE REGION. AT THIS POINT THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED TO FALL
WEDNESDAY NIGHT...GENERALLY FROM ANN ARBOR TO PORT HURON.

link

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Here's SE Michigan:

THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING OVER 6 INCHES OF SNOW TO PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN.

link

Six inches - not too bad if it falls over several hours. We got four inches of lake effect yesterday (Sunday) morning in less than an hour's time. We had slight ice on the driveway when I awoke and about four inches after cleaning up, walking dogs and making coffee. Not a bad thing at all if you're not on the road. I live off a county road up here due to the winters and it had not even been plowed yet -- that indicates all efforts were focused on I81 east of us. I've got a friend in Cincinnati who says that snow is not a regular visitor to them like this storm. Just remember that pulling donuts in the snow is fun in the parking lot -- but not on the road.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
We've got a watch here in Western KY. Rain to Ice to Heavy Snow. Driving on snowy roads suck, but when you get a coating of Ice under that snow, driving is a real BEEHOTCH.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH KENTUCKY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR ALL OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI... SOUTHERN ILLINOIS... WESTERN KENTUCKY AND SOUTHWEST INDIANA.

PRECIPITATION SHOULD START OFF AS A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW OVER MOST OF THE REGION TUESDAY NIGHT WITH SNOW IN THE CARBONDALE... MOUNT VERNON ILLINOIS AREA... AND RAIN IN THE HOPKINSVILLE AREA. BY WEDNESDAY MORNING... HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BE FALLING OVER MOST OF THE REGION. THE EXCEPTION SHOULD BE SOUTH OF A MAYFIELD KENTUCKY TO CALHOUN KENTUCKY LINE... WHERE SLEET... SNOW AND RAIN ARE POSSIBLE.

THE PRECIPITATION... HEAVY AT TIMES... WILL CONTINUE THROUGHOUT THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY. SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS... OVER 8 INCHES IN SOME AREAS... WILL MAKE TRAVEL HAZARDOUS IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE. WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH WILL CREATE BLOWING AND
DRIFTING CONDITIONS.

THE MOST LIKELY AREA TO RECEIVE THE HEAVY SNOWFALL IS ALONG A LINE FROM SIKESTON MISSOURI TO EVANSVILLE INDIANA. THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF POPLAR BLUFF... CAPE GIRARDEAU... PADUCAH... HARRISBURG... AND HENDERSON.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Bring it on. We don't mind a little snow up here

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
We get a mix mid week.. the worst kind.. calling for rain, freezing rain changing to snow, followed by bitter cold.. yuck!

I think I'll be online a bit more now!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Looking like Indy called it right !!! At least for the Indy area.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
144 PM EST MON DEC 20 2004

.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER TEXAS LATE TONIGHT. THIS LOW WILL MOVE INTO THE OHIO VALLEY AND PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT SNOW FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY MORNING.

INZ036-037-039>049-051-052-210900-BOONE-CLAY-DELAWARE-HAMILTON-HANCOCK-HENDRICKS-HENRY-MADISON-MARION-MONTGOMERY-PARKE-PUTNAM-RANDOLPH-VERMILLION-VIGO - INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANDERSON...CRAWFORDSVILLE...INDIANAPOLIS...MUNCIE AND TERRE HAUTE 144 PM EST MON DEC 20 2004

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT TO THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS IN HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH.

SNOW WILL BEGIN AFTER MIDNIGHT ON TUESDAY. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL BY THURSDAY MORNING COULD BE 7 TO 9 INCHES WITH ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS. THIS SYSTEM IS STILL DEVELOPING AND SNOWFALL AMOUNTS CAN STILL CHANGE BETWEEN NOW AND TUESDAY NIGHT.

Indy news

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Here in ny it snowed a little but not much but later on it turned to ice and there was a 7 car pile up on the george washington bridge and it was a hell of a time driving on the roads because it was slippery had to go 20-28 mph on the roads..

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Im thinking if you drew a line that connected Evansville, IN, Cincinnati, OH, Columbus, OH and Cleveland, OH you'd find the bad stuff to the north and west of that line. I'd guess there would be a heavy snow belt in the range of 75 to 125 miles from that line. There will be much more snow covering a much larger area but this path is where you may see well inexcess of a foot of snow. Some places may see locally two feet.

Keep in mind that forecast models are known to change. But since you have basicall 2-1/2 days notice there isn't much room for error.

Hey Indy hope you do not have plans to quit your day Job. Both Noaa and the weather channel disagree with your forcast.

But what they hey; I will remain optomistict, lets see who is right

I am putting my money on the experts.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join