It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Message icon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It's occurred to me that it's easy to miss that you have a new Personal Message. Apart from the envelope icon changing from grey to white, there is nothing else to attract ones attention. There also doesn't appear to be an emailed notification either.

Have I misunderstood something here, or are things really as vague as they appear?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Meduzi

Well I just realised I had 4 messages thanks to your post. Umm yes maybe it needs to stand out more.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I have never missed one for an extended period of time.

I think the white really pops.
Then again I use mobile alot and it's easier to see.
edit on stTue, 31 Mar 2015 14:19:24 -0500America/Chicago320152480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I have never missed on for an extended period of time.

I think the white really pops.
Then again I use mobile alot and it's easier to see.

I agree. It has never been a problem for me.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I was just commenting to someone here the other day that I bet there are many editors who have never clicked on the white envelope, think that it's white-by-nature, and have missed any and all message ever sent them.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You can always change your background color in your account settings, if your background is white/ish is no wonder if you can´t see it. I prefer dark grey colors in background and i have no problems seeing the envelope.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Both replies to and U2U-PM's are located in the same envelope-turned white.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The interface, notably on the PC, is very busy. The messgase icon is lost in all the other parts of the page. IMO, they couldn't have done more to hide this facility. And it appears that I'm far from the only one to feel this way.

What's the best way to suggest a change?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Why not show us a screenshot what you are seeing? It's hard to guess what you have going on there. My interface is very peaceful. Show us a screenshot so we can help you.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

oi61.tinypic.com...

I do use AdblockPlus but I took the screenshot with it disabled. The icon has no visible priority and is buried within other non-related icons. I also had a message that I didn't spot, but I clicked on the mail icon, just to see what was behind it. I had no idea that being a bit white, meant that there was mail.
edit on 1-4-2015 by Meduzi because: I type like a dolt.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

full

It is right there next to magnifying glass, when you get a message that envelope turns to white. I have no problems seeing the envelope there

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I know that it's there. The point is that it doesn't jump out in any way. When I log in to VK, and very occasionally, FB, it's very obvious that there is mail. You cant miss it. On here, it's a lost icon that's a little brighter than normal. As a lurker, you would never expect a PM, and wouldn't know if one had arrived.

VK, you just cannot miss changes.
oi58.tinypic.com...

FB, red mark showing number of messages, on an obviously activated icon.
oi62.tinypic.com...

edit on 1-4-2015 by Meduzi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Now that you know where it is, i am sure you get to know it. To me as it is, is perfect. I don´t know what VK is text looks quite Russian so i don´t understand that either. Facebook i don´t use either so i can´t really compare.
I am glad ATS is not a facebook

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Even without knowing what VK is, is was still obvious to you that there were some new notifications, wasn't it?

You have to admit, the ATS new mail notification could be a lot better than it currently is.
edit on 1-4-2015 by Meduzi because: I type like a dolt.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Scallywwagg

I've emailed them to suggest an improvement. Maybe if others were to do the same, they may consider it.

[email protected]
edit on 1-4-2015 by Meduzi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I've also been receiving messages without my knowledge. Not so long ago when I would receive messages a box would pop up saying I received a new message but not anymore. I agree this needs to be fixed because not everyone on here is aware when they receive a new message.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meduzi

I know that it's there. The point is that it doesn't jump out in any way.
Before the latest version of ATS, the message notification worked well. There was a popup type thing at the bottom (less obtrusive than the recent ATS poll popup at the bottom but along those lines) and you couldn't miss it.

With the latest version of ATS, it's noticeable if you are looking for it, but it's not as good as the old popup method which reminded you that you had messages even if you weren't looking for them. I know about the gray envelope turning white but I can go weeks without noting the color changed because I'm not expecting mail so I'm not looking at it all the time to see if it changed color.

It was really impossible for me to miss new messages with the old ATS system. The new system, it's pretty easy to miss them if I'm not looking for them. I get them eventually but sometimes after a couple of weeks when the sender may not even remember why they sent me that message.

originally posted by: Rocketgirl
I've also been receiving messages without my knowledge. Not so long ago when I would receive messages a box would pop up saying I received a new message but not anymore. I agree this needs to be fixed because not everyone on here is aware when they receive a new message.
I agree, the old notification worked better.

originally posted by: Meduzi
a reply to: Scallywwagg

I've emailed them to suggest an improvement. Maybe if others were to do the same, they may consider it.
They say you can use the complaint for for making suggestions. Might be better than e-mails because only members submit the suggestion/complaints, while the e-mails can come from anybody including non-members and spammers.

edit on 2-4-2015 by Arbitrageur because: added reply

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

If there used to be a notification, then things are even worse than I had realised. I suspect that the amount of unread mail is much higher now.

Where is the "complaint form"? I only see email addresses?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Click the down arrow, fifth from the right on the top, and you get a new menu. One of those options is "complain", which can also be used for sending suggestions. I think it creates a new thread in a special forum only visible to ATS staff, so treat it like you're creating a thread, maybe titling it "Suggestion to improve message notification" or something like that. You'll never see the actual thread though unless you join the ATS staff. They apparently have discussion behind the scenes or something.

There still is a notification, but it's easy to miss. The old notification was nearly impossible to miss.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Thanks for that Arbitrageur. I've sent my suggestion. Maybe if others agree, they could suggest the same?

I've tried to contact my old friend, who hasn't posted for four years, yet logs in everyday. They are highly unlikely to realise that a filled in icon, lost in a sea of others, means that a message has arrived.

edit on 9-4-2015 by Meduzi because: I type like a dolt.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join