It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to be cheesy (cheap and easy)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If anyone has any suggestions on saving money, how to get the most out of something you use or a creative way to keep yourself from spending when you don't have to, I'd love to hear it.

These tips can be a good way to lower your bills and help save up for something you normally couldn't afford. Living alone helps a lot, but not everyone has the ability to control everything.

Here are a few things that I do...

I water down all my juices with club soda so they last longer which allows me to buy organic. I actually enjoy it.

I use shower head with an on/off valve so you can shut the water off without it getting cold while you lather up.

I only buy select-a-size paper towels and then rip the smallest size in half again. Most of the time.

I use less coffee but brew it very strong. It lets my buy organic coffee, sugar and cream. The only milk product I consume.

I grease my pans with butter like I'm using a glue stick while they are still cold. It's healthier and uses a lot less.

I use a glass electric kettle to immediately bring my water to a boil instead of using the stove. Less electricity.

When I'm alone, I can make a paper plate or a piece of aluminum foil last all day to cook and eat on. Not when the ladies are around.

I use a good toaster over with convection to cook or reheat my foods fast without using the oven. Serves as a good coffee warmer while it's on.

I cut my candle wicks very tiny before I light them so they last longer. I buy a lot so it adds up. Use lead free, they barely smoke when you blow the out.

I wash my dishes by hand so I clean everything first, put them into a clean basin that I installed a large drain plug in, and then rinse everything all at once. It uses a lot less water.

I make my own tomato sauce in the food processer before I boil water. I place a thin baking pan over it and put the sauce on top. It heats up while the water heats up. Works great.

I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about any of these and I certainly act different when I have guests over. They don't need to suffer like I do.

Any suggestions?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Ok. I must admit that I was mislead by the title.
I thought it was going to be about sex.

On topic, try the book, 'The Tightwad Gazette'. Lots of great ideas in there.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The "'The Tightwad Gazette".

I think I just found my new bathroom reader.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Become a high ranking politician.
The tax payers pay for just about everything and you don't really have to do anything of any value.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Buy a permanent coffee filter. They last forever and you never have to worry about running out of filters.

Make your own laundry detergent. It works much better than the commercial stuff and costs about 70% less.

Use white vinegar instead of commercial fabric softener.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Ok. I must admit that I was mislead by the title.
I thought it was going to be about sex.

On topic, try the book, 'The Tightwad Gazette'. Lots of great ideas in there.

I too was misled by the title and was expecting a new recipe for making cheese!

But now that I'm here....
I am quite self sufficient and like to make my own stuff, not just to save money (which I don't have much of anyway) but because I like doing it and I can make stuff to my own tastes.
I often make my own: Wine, beer, mead, bread, cheese, Indian food (from scratch), and grow my own veg and herbs (and also some flammable herb) make firelogs for winter from old newspapers chop my own wood and keep chickens for eggs. I don't eat meat so I reckon I could survive for a while here in the sticks while the stores are being looted if/when the SHTF.

Ah the single life! have to channell all that excess energy into something (mores the pity! lol)

Btw Eisegesis, great list, and far from being cheap you just use common sense (Rare nowadays) and are resourceful and non wasteful - thats a noble trait and you are the type of companion I would value in a sticky SHTF situation.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Dollar stores! They are not all the same. There is one that even has food items and good stuff too.
Discount stores for most things that I buy and second hand stores. All my books are second hand. Luckily I can do all kinds of craftwork and often make things for gifts if I don't find enough at the discount stores. My name brand laundry detergent is never more than a few bucks at the discount stores. Use coupons when you can even at restaurants.

Always take advantage of the buy one get one free deals. When something is on sale at the grocery store and I also have a coupon for that item, that's when I'll get it.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Turn your underwear front to back on day 2 and the next day inside out followed by another front to back the day after that.

Or go commando and save the mental anguish of remembering the process.

Saves detergent and water.

Peace

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Dip salad into dressing instead of pouring the dressing onto the salad. Saves up to twice as much dressing.

Many frozen dinners have a plastic dish that can be microwaved a few times. Good for steaming vegetables and meat quickly without doing dishes for a few meals in a row.

Sometimes I pee in a bottle so I don't have to flush as often. Nevada keeps track of water usage.

I was told by a lady trucker that there is a "clam shell" doodad for women.

Gatorade bottles make good shakers for protein powder and flaxseed slurries.

Cut off the end of a plastic one liter or two liter bottle to make a funnel that will fit into the Gatorade top.
edit on 29-3-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

Wow, thank you.

I live in a great place, but my last move has unfortunately brought me closer to the center of town and farther away from nature. I'm going through withdrawals.

This is my first apartment where I don't have my own personal fire pit and campsite within walking distance. I used to love camping with nothing but a keychain flashlight. Let the eyes adjust and use fire.

I simply cannot do everything my heart desires in this place and have switched a more urban survival way of life. It sucks...

The woods will always be my first home.

edit on 29-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Turn your underwear front to back on day 2 and the next day inside out followed by another front to back the day after that.

Or go commando and save the mental anguish of remembering the process.

Saves detergent and water.

Peace

Here is a free 'expansion pack' for your valuable tip.
A bit of recon is needed on laundry days and from intelligence gathered buy the exact same underwear as your neighbour.

Simply time your 4 day routine to end on their laundry day, and when they hang their underwear out to dry sneak in undercover of night and do the old switcheroo with your own.

Repeat as necessary.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Many frozen dinners have a plastic dish that can be microwaved a few times. Good for steaming vegetables and meat quickly without doing dishes for a few meals in a row.

I would ditch your microwave and invest in a good toaster over. Plastic is not a good thing to cook anything in. With that said, we all have been a victim of circumstance.

I'm lucky my mother got me into organic produce and glassware at a young age. I'd still be doing the "blue box blues" if it wasn't for her.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: Semicollegiate

I would ditch your microwave and invest in a good toaster over. Plastic is not a good thing to cook anything in. With that said, we all have been a victim of circumstance.

I'm lucky my mother got me into organic produce and glassware at a young age. I'd still be doing the "blue box blues" if it wasn't for her.

I'm not picky about the plastic, however there are different grades of plastic. One of them might be ok for you. Using the trash over before I throw it away saves water.

I cook with bottled water only, and the leftovers last forever. 3 or 4 weeks.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I feel for you missing the outdoors, I have lived in several towns and cities throughout my life but my spirit only finds real peace in the woods and in the fields and I don't think I'd remain sane if I were urbanised again.
A little old country mouse is me!

So as not to drift off topic and derail your thread with my posts:

Leftover milk that may not last much longer can be heated gently in a large wide bottomed pan, add a wee pinch of salt and a clove of minced garlic (Optional) to taste.
as the milk heats -do not boil- add the juice of a lemon and stir slowly until it starts to curdle and seperate into clumps of solids. use a slotted spoon to retrieve the solids and place them in a piece of clean muslin (a clean net curtain works fine) gently squeeze and tie the cloth into a bundle and suspend over a draining area and allow gravity to pull draw the liquid out. leave overnight in a cool place or until no more liquid is dripping out. Carefully mould/roll the solid mass into a cylinder shape(s) and roll them in some freshly finely chopped chives. refrigerate overnight and next day you have some delicious soft farmhouse cheese that is delicious on freshly baked bread and will keep for several days (unlike the milk)

It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't really and produces a lovely rustic farmhouse garlic and chive soft cheese with the extra factor of being home made which adds to the deliciousness.
Cheap and tasty!

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Get drunk on cheap beer before you go to the bar.
Bathe in a naturally occurring body of water.
Gather your own meat and grow your own vegetables.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: HumansEh

I feel for you missing the outdoors, I have lived in several towns and cities throughout my life but my spirit only finds real peace in the woods and in the fields and I don't think I'd remain sane if I were urbanised again.
A little old country mouse is me!

So as not to drift off topic and derail your thread with my posts:

Leftover milk that may not last much longer can be heated gently in a large wide bottomed pan, add a wee pinch of salt and a clove of minced garlic (Optional) to taste.
as the milk heats -do not boil- add the juice of a lemon and stir slowly until it starts to curdle and seperate into clumps of solids. use a slotted spoon to retrieve the solids and place them in a piece of clean muslin (a clean net curtain works fine) gently squeeze and tie the cloth into a bundle and suspend over a draining area and allow gravity to pull draw the liquid out. leave overnight in a cool place or until no more liquid is dripping out. Carefully mould/roll the solid mass into a cylinder shape(s) and roll them in some freshly finely chopped chives. refrigerate overnight and next day you have some delicious soft farmhouse cheese that is delicious on freshly baked bread and will keep for several days (unlike the milk)

It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't really and produces a lovely rustic farmhouse garlic and chive soft cheese with the extra factor of being home made which adds to the deliciousness.
Cheap and tasty!

Bread has been the source of many bad days for me. I have found that walnuts match up with cheese very well and can make me feel sated, in addition to being full of vitamins.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Don't forget Soylent!

The quickest, laziest way to eat.

What if you never had to worry about food again?

LOL!!!

Great suggestions so far, thanks everybody.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

For starters, I asked my chauffeur to only use the Bentley for essential errands like getting Starbuck's vitamin water or delivering my shih tzu to the pet coiffure.

Toodles!

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Make your own soap and shaving cream. You can get 2lb blocks of glycerin soap, either pure or mixed with goats milk or shea butter, [which is what I buy - makes great shave cream ] on Amazon, melt it in the microwave then pour in to molds. You can make about 12 store size bars for less then $10. I also use food grade oils to make scented soaps for my wife and daughter. Cinnamon soap is easy. Use the same cinnamon powder you use on food - melt the glycerin, add the cinnamon while it's still hot and stir in. Pour in to molds and let sit for about an hour.
www.amazon.com... 417166891&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7r9blq6kvk_b

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
I only buy select-a-size paper towels and then rip the smallest size in half again.

Having had a couple of restaurants I am used to using linen towels instead of paper. I use them for prep, to clean up spills, dry utensils and to wipe off the counter. Then they go in the laundry and I grab a clean one. Much better for the environment, you can use them to pick up hot cookware and whip your wife in the ass with them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join