It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona woman thankful stranger killed her son during attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well...that's not a headline you see...EVER.

So this kid who hasn't been seen for months and is presumed on drugs, comes to his mom's car and proceeds to start slashing and stabbing her. A neighbor sees it happening, grabs a gun and kills her son. And she thanks him for it....

Bet she is glad for that gun owner being around, even though it was her son that was attacking.

Apparently the neighbor had no idea this was her son, but I have to say that I am pretty shocked this story didn't have a different ending. I would have expected the mom to be ticked and upset and this turn into an anti-gun story. Happy that it ended with her being thankful. Sad that her son was the one that had to be killed.

Either way....good job on the neighbor being armed and vigilant and stepping up to the plate to help.

Source

Mendez said she stopped her car, and what happened next is heartbreaking.

"I rolled my passenger window down and I said, 'Hey Hakeem, what's up? How are you doing?'" she explained. "And he popped his head into my window and he says, ‘I just want to give you a kiss, mama.'"

Mendez said as she leaned toward her son, Hakeem Shawky – whom she hadn't seen in about three months because of his drug addiction – he pulled out a box cutter.

"And then he proceeded to get into the car and started stabbing me and slashing at my throat, telling me that he was going to kill me," Mendez said through her tears. "He grabbed within the wound itself that he had created with his bare hands and he started pulling at my esophagus."

"There was nothing else you could have done," Mendez said she wants her neighbor to know. "And as sad as I am to lose my boy, you did the right thing. And I thank you for my life."

Sounds like a really terrifying experience.
edit on 3/26/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
He could have shot the kid in the legs and then disarmed him.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
I would have expected the mom to be ticked and upset and this turn into an anti-gun story.

Oh ye of little faith, just wait a few minutes. It will turn into that shortly. It'll be interesting how the story gets twisted to fit the agenda.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Plus the mom shouldn't be so happy her son is dead.
edit on 26-3-2015 by Ancient Champion because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ancient Champion

Might have been kind of hard to wait long enough to draw a bead when theres stabbing and thrashing going on.

Main idea to stop this kind of threat is to go for center mass.

When I say I am very for guns used for defense this is the scenario I have in mind.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

And the anti gun apologists are gonna come in 5..4..3..2..1

In a serious note, while the son did try to harm the woman, she shouldn't be happy that a life especially her own son was taken away.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Great story but the mom should still be upset that her kid died. That part doesn't sit right but he did do the attacking oh well.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Well, from the story, it makes it sound as if he did place his first shot to wound and it didn't phase the kid so he shot a second time and killed him.

Either way, the kid was trying to put his hands through a slash in her throat that he has just made, trying to grab her esophagus.....that is messed up.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I feel for the neighbor and the mom, what's horrible situation.

I am glad the neighbor was able to save her life..

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The son of a bitch (pun intended) was trying to kill her; was obviously a troubled boy.. he tried to grip her esophagus via opened wound he created.

I think the neighbor was a savior to this woman. Her son or a stranger, we need less people like this soon, in our world.

Bless his troubled spirit through the after life. ..but he had it coming, and had chance to change his ways.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yeah that's messed up, but promoting this story is just gonna lead to more people being shot by those guys with a 'home defense weapon' or the like, and shooting killing someone they find 'suspicious'....

The kid maybe didn't need to be shot, but yeeeeehaw right?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Well, from the story, it makes it sound as if he did place his first shot to wound and it didn't phase the kid so he shot a second time and killed him.

Either way, the kid was trying to put his hands through a slash in her throat that he has just made, trying to grab her esophagus…..that is messed up.

Eeks, he was going to 'rip her throat out'… no wonder she was glad (or, more like relieved?) Finally, she can sleep nights.

(post by InverseLookingGlass removed for a manners violation)
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
Yeah that's messed up, but promoting this story is just gonna lead to more people being shot by those guys with a 'home defense weapon' or the like, and shooting killing someone they find 'suspicious'....

Umm....the mother's quote was:

"And then he proceeded to get into the car and started stabbing me and slashing at my throat, telling me that he was going to kill me," Mendez said through her tears. "He grabbed within the wound itself that he had created with his bare hands and he started pulling at my esophagus."

But yeah....let's try not to kill the kid doing it.....let's wait a bit to see if he just stops on his own then talk to him....or better yet, lets go in and try to tackle the crazy slasher with a box cutter going to town on his mom....

Yes...a gun was the appropriate weapon to end this attack, and the appropriate action was taken.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Plus the mom shouldn't be so happy her son is dead.

Happy even thought she is quoted as saying "And as sad as I am to lose my boy, you did the right thing. And I thank you for my life."?

As the article says she was speaking with tears in her eyes, were hey tears of joy were they for experiencing what she did?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Maybe the kid didn't need to be shot... maybe the did didn't need to be shot?

He was trying to rip out her throat.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Guy had to die whether the neighbour had a gun, a chainsaw or a blade of his own...

Trying to kill his own mother, I'd have gone for his legs... Having opted for a chainsaw

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

you're right, the neighbor probably coulda been like "hey kid, stop cutting open your moms throat and trying to rip her esophagus out!" and then the son would of said "oh, darn! my mistake mister! what was i thinking?! hey mom, do you need an ambulance, i love you!"

lol

i'd say the neighbors suspicions were warranted and welcomed in this case as it saved the women's life. where as if the neighbor just tried to talk to kid down while he was on meth, the mother would have died and the kid probably would have attacked the neighbor next.

i also don't think this one situation is going to make people start shooting up the neighborhood whenever they see something "suspicious". that's a pretty big leap/assumption.

maybe if the neighbor had a spear tip attached to a rope he could have thrown it into the boy and pulled him away from him mom saying "GET OVER HEREEEEE!" lol then everyone would have lived.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Ksihkehe

And the anti gun apologists are gonna come in 5..4..3..2..1

In a serious note, while the son did try to harm the woman, she shouldn't be happy that a life especially her own son was taken away.

another one saying this,

where does she sound like she is happy that her sons life was taken and not simply saying the right thing was done with a bad outcome that makes her sad?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I'm not anti-gun, I'm against people who think killing will solve all our problems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join