It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just got buzzed by a hot squad of attack helicopters...?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Ya if you feed further the chinook is just what I thought it was cause he goes by at least nice a week. He circles down and lands at bishop so I assumed it was him but then it wasn't. And I've read more then a few reports of chinooks getting some lol. Violence of action by Marty skovlund has a few stories detailing some chinook gunners that got too have some fun. Lol definitely not my first choice for an attack helicopter but if it's all I got... Il attack the day lights outa something with a chinook!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

I wish they told us that in Korea... I did the same job without the school.
HANDS all burning,I even have a permanent trick ankle from a bad hook up.
Ever fast rope down tacline?
BURNED through my goves AND the liner I happened to have the '60 and full CBL on too, what fun...

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The mi 8 you saw could of been the uh 72 lakota or the pave low. Not to say it couldnt of been one but with the ceiling you describe it would make it harder to identify

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
You may have seen a Super Puma

upload.wikimedia.org...

Similar from a distance.
The Australian Army runs the MRH90 which is a model of the Super Puma.The USA and Australia do run close training drills together.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Flint to Grayling is closer to 125 NM. Also, it's NW of you and not due north. They could have been coming up from Toledo, in that case.

And it's not too abnormal. Back when I lived in Inkster (Metro Detroit) seeing police helicopters wasn't too unusual. One time, last year, we did have a DHS/Customs helicopter circling for awhile. Thread on that here.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The US Army has several MI-8s that it operates a Ft Polk for JRTC training.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I guess it's a lot further then I remember. I haven't drove up there in a while but I thought it only took an hour and a half or so, guess I was wrong lol or its a very straight drive.

I see police helicopters coming in for landings all the time at bishop, helicopters aren't the strange sight, it's the Flying V of attack choppers at 100-150 feet going FAST that raised flags for me.

Toledo you say? Marine base?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

All this talk of fort Polk is takin me back! I crashed with a buddy in leesville years ago for about 2 weeks. He had just gotten out and had friends still living on base... That was my first experience with the PX! Lol

Man o man...... He lived above some shady strip joint on that main highway that runs through town that wall mart is on..... Right at the top of the hill... good times lol

there was that crazy cowboy bar right down the road too.... Can't really say I remember much about it... Neon lights.. Muffin tops... Big angry beards.... Cheap drinks... My kinda town!
edit on 24-3-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

My son trained there before he deployed to A-stan about 5 years ago. I have only talked to pilots stationed there who flew the MI-8. It sounds like a very different machine than western helicopters.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Depends on how fast you're going. I've made that leg in 90 minutes, but doing the speed limit it's closer to 120. Too many cops along I-75 for me, especially between Grayling and West Branch. I've been shooting down US-127 the last few times I've headed south.

The military comes from all over to train at Grayling. It's the largest National Guard training post in the country. I know that Toledo has some F-16s based there, but not sure about anything else. Selfridge is mainly A-10s and KC-135s. Battle Creek was to be light cargo/medical/VIP transport, but I believe now they pilot drones. Alpena is just a summer training ground for ANG units.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You guys reckon I could call up to grailing and inquiry?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Call the Public Affairs office and ask them. They're usually happy to answer your questions.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Here is the contact information for Camp Grayling.

You could even try Bishop Intl's airport authority. Their number is 810-235-6560. Public domain information found here.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Who on that list would you reckon I call?

And I keep typing grayling but my autocorrect keeps changing it to grailing lol

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Lol I wanna call sgt. Maj. Donald derryberry lol just to hear "hello this is sgt maj Derryberry speaking"

edit on 24-3-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You sure it wasn't a merlin?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Your guess is as good as mine, since I don't see anything specifically for PR.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Maybe, similar side profile. If I had to bet tho I'm still putting money on the mi-8 or the super puma.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

What exactly should I say? I feel like I'm going to sound ridiculous to some busy army person lol. "Uhhh hey I saw some Cobras yesterday did they come pew pew up there?"

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

"Hi, I saw some helicopters over my house, and was just wondering if you could give me any information about it. I'm not used to seeing something like that".

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join